Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Decided not to wait fot T7

This has always confused me. Why do people sell Californias and then buy another one?

I'm sure not everyone is the same. Is it because the resale value is so tempting or is it because people don't like owning 5 year old vehicles that are out of warranty?

Congratulations! What colour did you choose? Don’t forget to post photos when you get it!
Candy White/Bay leaf green.

A friend works for a large company with many Ford Rangers. The average life span of a Ford engine is 1 year. What total crap. No Ford for me.

A friend works for a large company with many Ford Rangers. The average life span of a Ford engine is 1 year. What total crap. No Ford for me.
Whats the average mileage per year?

This has always confused me. Why do people sell Californias and then buy another one?

I'm sure not everyone is the same. Is it because the resale value is so tempting or is it because people don't like owning 5 year old vehicles that are out of warranty?
We love our T5.1 and we have looked at replacing it with a T6.1 but came to the conclusion that the camping experience is exactly the same so is it worth £40k more for the driving experience?

We have bought our 6.1 in October. Also looked briefly at the 7 in Düsseldorf. It has less storage but what was even more important (living in the Netherlands) that for road tax purposes, it is not considered a Campervan because is does not match the minimum living space to be considered a Campervan. Just a few centimeters too small. In stead op paying 70 euros per month in road tax it will probably be 280 per month ( normal car, considering weight and extra for Diesel) . That is something
Wow, basic error - surely those few cm should have been a design constraint

That’s nonsense.
We run a small fleet of Transits at work, from 2020-2022 and none have had replacement engines so far.
All our vans cover high miles. Average engineer drives 35-40k miles per year.

Infact, I would add, they’re very reliable vehicles. Robust and up to the job.

I doubt VW factors in Dutch requirements for an existing MV platform.
I’m certain you’re correct, but why wouldn’t they? They may well lose sales now…

That’s nonsense.
We run a small fleet of Transits at work, from 2020-2022 and none have had replacement engines so far.
All our vans cover high miles. Average engineer drives 35-40k miles per year.

Infact, I would add, they’re very reliable vehicles. Robust and up to the job.
I have just sold our 2019 Transit Connect, it was on its 3rd engine + 62k miles.
1st engine died + 52K miles. 2nd one lasted 6 months, both replaced under warranty had to sell it as lost all confidence in the van.

Couple of things from our side made us change vehicle:-
1) upstairs bed springs
2) headlights - I'm not a fan of night driving atm.
3) we did have a very good price offered for our T6.
4)this new van wwill definitely be our last.

I have just sold our 2019 Transit Connect, it was on its 3rd engine + 62k miles.
1st engine died + 52K miles. 2nd one lasted 6 months, both replaced under warranty had to sell it as lost all confidence in the van.

I’m shocked.
My 2021 connect is on 48k miles. So far faultless…

I think it depends a lot on what engine is in your Ford... All the 3 cylinder turbo petrol are basically ticking time bombs, and the PSA sourced diesels are still pretty new engines. Volvo uses them as well in their new cars.

Anything with a old 2.5 petrol will be good it's basically a Mazda engine.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I think it depends a lot on what engine is in your Ford... All the 3 cylinder turbo petrol are basically ticking time bombs, and the PSA sourced diesels are still pretty new engines. Volvo uses them as well in their new cars.

Anything with a old 2.5 petrol will be good it's basically a Mazda engine.

My Volkswagen experience.
2008 T5 transporter, scrap engine at 38k miles and just under 4 years old.
2017 T6 complete turbo failures at 48k miles. Stranded in Europe and a bill of £5k to replace…

My Volkswagen experience.
2008 T5 transporter, scrap engine at 38k miles and just under 4 years old.
2017 T6 complete turbo failures at 48k miles. Stranded in Europe and a bill of £5k to replace…
T5 with the 180ps motor? That engine has been known to fail. However it can be prevented.

As for the T6 turbo failure, many things can cause the turbo to fail prematurely. Driving style and DPF Regens that are done while idling and then engine is switched off play a large role in failing turbos.

T5 with the 180ps motor? That engine has been known to fail. However it can be prevented.

As for the T6 turbo failure, many things can cause the turbo to fail prematurely. Driving style and DPF Regens that are done while idling and then engine is switched off play a large role in failing turbos.

The 180 biturbo wasn't available in 2008.

The 180 biturbo wasn't available in 2008.
Correct.
2.5l, 5 pot engine.

My T4, also had failed injectors at 6 years old. But in all fairness it had 90k miles, so I wasn’t to miffed. My experience of Volkswagen isn’t the best, truth be told.
Still, as a driving tool. The transporter is the best of any van.
However, I wouldn’t say build quality isn’t any better than the competition…

Last edited:
However, I wouldn’t say build quality is any better than the competition…
I would beg to differ. From an automotive design perspective the Transporter is way ahead of its competition some of whom are only now adopting fully independent rear suspension, for example.
And let's not talk about habitation build quality and design.

I would beg to differ. From an automotive design perspective the Transporter is way ahead of its competition some of whom are only now adopting fully independent rear suspension, for example.
And let's not talk about habitation build quality and design.
I don't know, Vito has had IRS for quite a long time now. And the T6.1 really dates back to 2003 as it's just a facelift of the T3 from 2003.

V class/Marco Polo is really a great contender, if it only had more storage options in the dash.

The old 2.1 CDI is known to go a million km with ease and the new 2L from 2020+ or in the V300 is also quite well regarded by taxi drivers.

the T6.1 really dates back to 2003 as it's just a facelift of the T3 from 2003.
Depends how you define facelift. By that reckoning you could say the the Porsche 993 (911) was just a facelift of the original 911 from 1963. While the design ethos has some semblance, the technology and implementation are completely different.

Sorry, not sure why my phone turns T5 to T3... In general you can bolt in almost all exterior parts to a T5 to update it to a T6.1, as it's something I was looking at doing with a Karmann Colorado.

Many people have even swapped over the dash from a T6 highline to the T5.

Sorry, not sure why my phone turns T5 to T3... In general you can bolt in almost all exterior parts to a T5 to update it to a T6.1, as it's something I was looking at doing with a Karmann Colorado.

Many people have even swapped over the dash from a T6 highline to the T5.

That phone :D
Anyway, swapping or bolting exterior or interior parts between eachother? o_O
Yeah, why not but not for me.

That phone :D
Anyway, swapping or bolting exterior or interior parts between eachother? o_O
Yeah, why not but not for me.
Well it goes to show you that T6.1 dates back 30 years in terms of chassis design with no updates except for electro-mechanical steering on the T6.1 vs T6 and some new engine/transmission choices.

Not saying that it's bad, but in car years 10 is a long time for a vehicle to go without a major update/redesign.

Depends how you define facelift. By that reckoning you could say the the Porsche 993 (911) was just a facelift of the original 911 from 1963. While the design ethos has some semblance, the technology and implementation are completely different.
You can't compare a 911 like a 993 to a G series from the 70s or even 80s...

Happens regularly, confusingly. I have read one explanation that they regretted selling it, which makes sense, shame they had to go through the pain of selling though. Warranty is nice, but the expense of buying a new California can't be cheaper than a potential warranty claim, surely?
It’s nice when you make a £12k profit on one that’s 8 months old and you’ve put 6k miles on.
Then get the better version 4M v’s FWD.
which suits one’s needs

Back