Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Decided not to wait fot T7

You can't compare a 911 like a 993 to a G series from the 70s or even 80s...

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
I was merely making a point when you referenced the T3 vs the T6. Now you made the correction to T5 it's not so relevant. :thumbup

You can't compare a 911 like a 993 to a G series from the 70s or even 80s...

Who cares? Seriously! This thread was about someone excited about buying a new campervan. There will always be improvements in the future. The transporter is a bit long in the tooth but it is a great camper NOW. Some of us need to get on and enjoy life . Enjoy what you have ,admire what comes afterwards that is much better. ,I think the real issue will be the drop in build quality, customer service, of VW. Look at the leaking bellows disgrace. It doesn't matter how much better new vw campers will be if their build quality and customer service is as bad as it has been recently. Enjoy your camper , whatever it is

Well it goes to show you that T6.1 dates back 30 years in terms of chassis design with no updates except for electro-mechanical steering on the T6.1 vs T6 and some new engine/transmission choices.

Not saying that it's bad, but in car years 10 is a long time for a vehicle to go without a major update/redesign.

Well, I know all that ;) I even once mentioned that about the chassis (even though it drives well enough) and all hell broke loose: so no news for me :Grin
But to be clear: Even though it is old, many are still very satisfied with the driving qualities of the latest version (including me; we travel as much as we can and I also drive it daily / over 36,000 km in 21 months), so Volkswagen must be doing something right to still keep the old chassis up to date, right?

Last edited:
I really like driving a T6.1 as well, but I can't get past the cheap interior/dash after the T6 had a nicer finished drivers cabin. But VW has basically shot down an icon with killing off the T series. The new Multivan is a Golf underneath, and the new Transporter is a Ford. VW is not going to be around for long if they keep making these awesome decisions.

Mercedes is still making great vans, with excellent engines and nice dashboards.. Albeit with almost no storage in the dash or doors, grrr

I really like driving a T6.1 as well, but I can't get past the cheap interior/dash after the T6 had a nicer finished drivers cabin. But VW has basically shot down an icon with killing off the T series. The new Multivan is a Golf underneath, and the new Transporter is a Ford. VW is not going to be around for long if they keep making these awesome decisions.

Mercedes is still making great vans, with excellent engines and nice dashboards.. Albeit with almost no storage in the dash or doors, grrr

Right, I also like driving it (although I don't compare it at all with the Mercedes van and certainly not with the Marco Polo because that one falls far behind the California in terms of ingenuity during travel). For me the dashboard of the t6.1 is very suitable when traveling because of the many open compartments; When I travel I don't want to have to 'get everything out of a closed box'. I prefer the general shape more than before - mind you: this is my idea and everyone has their own idea about it - and I think it is more modern. I know I kinda stand alone with that statement :D
The drivers cabin is fancy enough for me and above all: easy to clean. We do use it for travel and daily use; it’s certainly not a show project for us although I like looking at beautiful bling bling California's :thumb
Whether the next ‘Ford Transporter’ will score remains to be seen. The Multivan California is a question mark, isn't it? I don't think it is suitable for the four of us and the second sliding door has greatly compromised the interior space and especially the storage space (kitchen unit).
I was not spared from clear issues and inconveniences in the first six months with our t6.1 coast, but everything has been resolved and I couldn’t have made a better choice!
Enjoy!
1703802453993.jpeg

Last edited:
The dashboard is the one thing I don’t care for on the 6.1. I can live with it but the lack of space for a couple of phones is really annoying. The small ledge on the drivers side and the bigger one on the passenger side are pretty useless.

The dashboard is the one thing I don’t care for on the 6.1. I can live with it but the lack of space for a couple of phones is really annoying. The small ledge on the drivers side and the bigger one on the passenger side are pretty useless.

Branderup do a really handy phone holder that fits in the front of the central cup holder. It fits a phone and a pair of glasses, being right next to the usb sockets means you only need a very short cable to plug the phone in. Holds the phone securely with no rattles.

Branderup do a really handy phone holder that fits in the front of the central cup holder. It fits a phone and a pair of glasses, being right next to the usb sockets means you only need a very short cable to plug the phone in. Holds the phone securely with no rattles.
Correct; or this:
Version 1
Version 2

That’s one of the things that swung my next van purchase. The Mercedes dashboard, software interface and comfort seats were a massive step up.
Really can’t wait for collection day.

I've grown to be happy with it. The ledge on the passenger side is perfect for phones, and on the passenger side for a garage door remote. I do have the brandrup pocket though, for charging phones.
I prefer the look of the dash to the T6. I accept it feels flimsier, esp the door cards, but suspect the design has evolved to be lighter and perhaps using more recycled material, helping to improve fuel economy and carbon footprint?

helping to improve fuel economy and carbon footprint?
I would argue its down to cost cutting. The T6 is a commercial platform so the bean pushers in VW are unlikely to give the green light for soft touch materials just for the Cali cabin. After dieselgate VW had to cut corners wherever possible.
Personally I prefer the more modern looking T6.1 dash. The phone sits on a Benks magnetic handsfree holder and gets charged through the wireless induction system. I use the phone for navigation so it's the perfect height and slightly off the the right mounted to the vent. A shot USB-C cable connects the holder to the socket down below.

Having already sold our T6 3 months ago and after much much deliberation and YouTube video watching, we've decided not to wait for T7 to come onto market. Think it will be too 'gimmicky' for us. After listing pros/cons we've found a lovely T6.1 two tone and picking up next week.
Well done and a good choice in my opinion.
I took delivery of my new Cali. Surf on 30th September. On hand-over, the salesman pointed to a new Multivan and said "I guess you'll be back to replace this with a Multivan California next time". To which I replied "Why would I want to do that?" and proceeded to tell the chap, that in my opinion "VW have dropped the ball. Part of the appeal of a VW Campervan is its a Van! Not some people carrier based on a VW Golf car platform"!
There appears to be very little storage space in the proposed Multivan Cali. and because its lower you'll be spending more time on your knees! The lower bed will need a topper and there's no option to put a porta potti under the sink, let alone be able to use it inside once the lower bed is in situ! Unless VW make a California out of the new Transporter. I'll be getting a Ford Transit/VW Transporter converted campervan next time. Knowing that it'll be as close to a 'Real' VW California successor as it will get.
Once again. Well done and enjoy. - JT.

Interesting, I am testing the idea of a pre-loved 2021 V300 Marco Polo.

I have a budget that I don't want to go past... V300 my way would be over 110k Euro. Here in Germany you can find used 1-2 year old versions for 65+.

Really for us, the longer wheelbase is a benefit as with the bed folded out in a California there isnt much space for our large dog. And when the heat kicks on middle of the night, he freaks out and jumps on our bed.

Reactions: ASM
Good decision - you could have been waiting a long time for a T7 Cali. According to California Chris in a video last week, the estimate is 2024 /2025. I think they’ll wait and see if the Multivan Cali makes a splash or not before they push the button on the T7 Cali.
Go with what you know - these reviews and all the hype is not the same as real people like the community on here getting their hands on it and finding the good and the bad in real life situations

New van has powered side door which 'bleeps' suddenly thought this might not be ideal whilst on a campsite - can we turn this off overnight ? ?

New van has powered side door which 'bleeps' suddenly thought this might not be ideal whilst on a campsite - can we turn this off overnight ? ?
Short answer No, but you can switch to manual and then no beeps but will be heavier than a normal manual door to open/close.

Also be aware others have reported it is very easy to flatten the starter battery when camping and not using EHU and not switching to manual operation.

The sounder/speaker has been removed by some owners or possibly a switch to disable it.

Back