Detachable VW tow bar

Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Can anyone able to tel me if the swan neck tow bar is in situ is it picked up on rear parking sensor?

Many thanks Andy

It shouldn't do no. Have had a few vehicles where customers have had the cover left on the tow ball which has been picked up.

Is yours being picked up?

Thanks

Hi Alex
thanks for that, have not put it on yet in the past only having a full time fixed bar & never rear parking sensors before just wondered. Only tow a small trailer with the rubish down the dump/recylce centre.

been rear ended a couple of times in traffic over the years each time up the tow bar no damage to to me but plays havic with the others front bumper

Andy

If it is OEM VW fitted at factory or as an accessory then it should be ok. It shuts the rear sensors off when towing and a trailer is connected.

cheers

my t4 westie would also turn the rear fog light out to. when plug in for towing .dont no if t5 does the same . :cool

Yes it will turn fog light out. If your parking sensors display on the stereo, then when a trailer is connected the rears will shut off and the picture on the stereo display will change to show a picture of a trailer on the rear opf the vehicle.

cheers

Yes, but we have the OEM Westfalia bar on our Audi and when you are NOT connected via the 13 pin plug but leave the swan neck bar on the bleepers go mental as it sees the neck as a genuine obstruction.

it's fine. I have gen VW fitted and the sensors do not get confused (just don't forget they are not clever enough to add the three extra inches)

Hi, I have a VW bar which was not factory fitted and the rear parking sensor does bleep when the tow bar cap is left on. Without the cap I have not had any problems.

Hello, I have a bosal detachable tow bar and it is not seen by the sensors.

deedee said:
Hello, I have a bosal detachable tow bar and it is not seen by the sensors.
Same as this. I have this towbar on three diffent vehicles on my hire fleet; California, Shuttle and Kombi, all with PDC, and none of them pick it up :thumb

I need to get a towbar fitted to Beach, mainly to carry 2 bikes and wondered if anyone had one fitted in Maidstone area. A basic flange type with 7 pin electrics would be fine, but would consider a removeable ball if not too expensive.
Is the Beach prewired / towbar electrics ready, if not I believe some cabling to the dashboard.
:thanks

I have just fitted an OEM removable tow bar. £155 for the electrics & £155 for the bar. Both Westfalia.

Please, please whatever you do - do not spoil the look of your van with a fixed bar. Removable bars are so affordable these days. It'll look like a builders van with a fixed flange.

It's also extremely important to use OEM electrics so buy wisely and don't be fooled into buying anything other than Westfalia (who make the VW parts) or VW.

Speak to Oli above as he has a man who fits for reasonable price or SMG if you want the piece of mind of VW fitting it but due to labour charges it will be expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for advice Stu, I will go for a detachable one as shame to spoil looks.

pn

I was told that the detachable tow bar is not suitable for the Thule 2 bike track.

Stability I guess?

Is this true?

lth said:
I was told that the detachable tow bar is not suitable for the Thule 2 bike track.

Stability I guess?

Is this true?

A cycle carrier is pictured in the booklet that comes with the kit as being a suitable accessory.

There is a vertical load limit of 100Kg but so does the Westfalia flanged fitment.

lth said:

Stability I guess?

Is this true?
I have a Thule 9503, 3 bike rack which fits great on my detachable tow ball.
It is very stable. I can stand on it and it doesn't move.

You can see in this pic how it fits on one.
9503_01.jpg

I thought they fitted all swan neck type tow bars fine??

Stu said:
The T5 Facelift bar is -

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/t5-transporter ... JbE_bQx_FI

Westfalia Pt No 321 651 691 111

The electrics are not listed on the PfJones website but they can supply them for £155.

Westfalia Pt No 321 454 300 143

It is a new kit that fits under the van and is only available in 13 Pin.

Also try your vw van dealer. That's where I got mine. It's the same kit with westfalia instructions etc, just in a VW box. Think I paid £140 that was 2 and 1/2 years ago though.

There is a fella on the T4 forum selling a brand new T5 GP 13 pin vw (westfalia) tow bar wiring kit.
He wants £100 delivered. I'll dig out the link if anyone is interested

I have just had a price from a local (ME174GU) towbar supplier for a supply and fit:
Thule, removeable ball, and with dedicated vw electric kit, including computer reset etc.
Price incl VAT: £590.00
This sounds not too bad to me but I am not familiar with the Thule towbar and would prefer a VW / Westphalia unit.
Any comments would be very welcome before I get it done..

I don't imagine there is much in it with the bars but perhaps ask them to quote for the Wastfalia bar instead.

Is a DIY Westifalia towbar install possible without lifting the cali (i.e. without ramps, jacks etc...)?

I had a Westphalia towbar fitted to my Beach by an excellent mobile installer, he did not have to lift the vehicle..cost was about £450 all in.

Back