Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Devonport Wheels

I’ve a bit of a mystery to solve.

My van currently has Dunlop Sport Maxx TT tyres fitted with the side wall reading 235/55/ZR17 103 W and yet when I measure the wheel diameter they’re more like 18” ? Also the side wall profile height is measuring around 105 mm rather than 129 mm (55%) whilst the tyre width is 230-235 mm give it take giving a wall height ratio of 45%?
So, I appear to have 235/45/R18’s fitted? Help anyone?

I’m considering upgrading to 18” VW Bulli Discs (silver version) and fitting 255/45/R18 103 V all weather tyres. As it means either buying some expensive wheels (imports or online from a remote supplier and given I clearly don’t understand what I’m doing) I’m not currently in a position to ask sensible questions so that I can be sure I don’t waste a pile of cash buying wheels that just don’t fit!

Will they ..

a) fit easily onto the 5 stud arrangement as per my existing Devonports and …
b) will the Bullis take a 255 width tyre?

Sorry for such a long-winded post but VW want nearly £4,000 to fit wheels and tyres and was advised that I’d be better trying to source elsewhere.
As above reply.

You are measuring the wheel rim including the 'lip' that holds the tyre on.

Full explanation >

That’s great B J G - very informative- knew I must’ve got it wrong ! Plus size calculator also reassuring that 255/45/18 and 235/55/17 will both fit on same wheels

That’s great B J G - very informative- knew I must’ve got it wrong ! Plus size calculator also reassuring that 255/45/18 and 235/55/17 will both fit on same wheels
Did you mean that?
255/45/18 will fit on 18" rims 235/55/17 fit on 17" rims NOT THE SAME WHEELS

Sorry, been a long day…I believe having read all the threads that the overall diameter of 235/55/17 is the same as 255/45/18 but as you say, clearly not the same wheel/rim diameter! But tell me, will 255 and 235 width tyres fit the same 18” wheel/rims?

Thanks

If you are looking at VW 18" wheels I believe all in the brochure are 8J which means 8" wide.
a 8" rim is ok for either 235 or 255 width tyres, those being the narrowest & widest I would put on those rims.

235/55/18 104V can be used as well as 255/45/18 103V (H speed rating is now supplied by VW on T6.1)
235/50/18 101V tyre is marginal on load rating for California use.

235 being 20mm narrower will give less wheel rim protection from kerbing but that varies with tyre manufacturer.

If you are looking at VW 18" wheels I believe all in the brochure are 8J which means 8" wide.
a 8" rim is ok for either 235 or 255 width tyres, those being the narrowest & widest I would put on those rims.
Thanks andyinluton …all I know is that the supplier I am in contact with says the all silver 18” Bulli Discs they have in stock are a genuine VW product…I’ll have a look at the brochure cos as you say, if genuine they ought to be specified as 8J and should accommodate 235 or 255’s. At around £2,000 for wheels only they ain’t exactly cheap but if I can fit 255 all weathers it will hopefully work out a lot less expensive than the £4,000 VW van centre quote I’ve been given

Hi and thanks again….could you provide a link to the brochure please as not sure the supplier I’m looking at is all that clued up and as you say I need to make sure they’re 8J.

Cheers Taff T

I was just going by this:

Attachments

• cali wheels.pdf
    168.2 KB · Views: 15
And this - these would be genuine ones and shows that they are 8J

Attachments

• bulli.pdf
    512.6 KB · Views: 18
Thanks andyinluton …all I know is that the supplier I am in contact with says the all silver 18” Bulli Discs they have in stock are a genuine VW product…I’ll have a look at the brochure cos as you say, if genuine they ought to be specified as 8J and should accommodate 235 or 255’s. At around £2,000 for wheels only they ain’t exactly cheap but if I can fit 255 all weathers it will hopefully work out a lot less expensive than the £4,000 VW van centre quote I’ve been given
Did you see the thread by @thomasamoht yesterday? Seems he has silver ones by mistake - maybe be worth making contact?

Last edited:
Thanks Joker I’ll check it out…so far I appear to have the option of paying £2,300 incl delivery for the rims only from a UK supplier or just shy of £2,100 incl import tax and courier from a German supplier (both mentioned somewhere in this thread I think?) but I’ll have to wait for then to get a set in.

Either way, fitting some 255/45/18 all weathers ought to come in way south of the VW van centre quote (as long as they’re genuine !)

Thanks Joker I’ll check it out…so far I appear to have the option of paying £2,300 incl delivery for the rims only from a UK supplier or just shy of £2,100 incl import tax and courier from a German supplier (both mentioned somewhere in this thread I think?) but I’ll have to wait for then to get a set in.

Either way, fitting some 255/45/18 all weathers ought to come in way south of the VW van centre quote (as long as they’re genuine !)
Blackcircles, maybe other suppliers as well, had a discount on Bridgestone A005 all weather tyres which is basically free fit in cash terms.

Back