Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter Wheels and Tyres Query

It´s the 4Motion that requires 17 inch wheels, regardless of 140 or 180 hp. That´s why your spare is 17 inches. If I´m not mistaken 4Motion always mounts big brake calipers.

I am also in the process of buying winter tyres, but find the prices that Belgian VW dealers offer are a bit on the steep side. How safe is it buying online and resorting to the local garage for mounting the wheels? I´d rather stick to an official VW dealer just in case (I read somewhere that wheel alignment is not all that simple in T5s), but the difference in price is giving me second thoughts

It a bit confusing getting the right combination of size/weight rating/rubber/wheel nuts et al. May be best to leave it to the VW dealers to supply the correct ones? How much are they charging for a set of winter tyres/wheels?

(BTW, we seem to have three concurrent threads on winter tyres adding to the confusion :D)

Sorry for adding to the confusion! I meant to clarify the 16 vs 17 inch query, but got carried away :D

The best quotation I got is 1149 EUR plus mounting, and they can´t even guarantee the steel rims are the silver ones you see in Calis and Multivans, but probably some cheap, black, grocery van ones. Not reassuring...

I guess you're looking at these prices? http://www.new.volkswagen.be/nl/diensten/winter-kit.html
I must say I find that rather okay prices, the tyres alone cost (and this is front a local tyre central):
4x Pirelli 163+21% VAT = EUR 789
4x Michelin 175 +21%= EUR 847
The alloys I choose with them are 4x 130 + 21 = EUR 630 and then you get these
44951_Brock_RC25_6.5x16_matt_svart_T5_2.png

Must say I never ever worried about changing alloys to non standard VW's. Just don't use bad quality alloys (i.e. don't try to save too much). You can save about 20-30%.

Maybe those with VW supplied winter tyres could post what make, model, size and load/speed rating they are so those on the look out for some can shop for similar elsewhere if they wish?
Certainly I agree with the above, no need to get VW wheels. Do make sure you check with your insurance company though. I believe that some even consider winter tyres of any type to be a modification!

Yep, that´s indeed a fair price.
I´m just looking for some steel rims, nothing fancy, just what you get as a spare wheel with the Cali. But most dealers can´t even provide me with those, but with some black, cheap-looking, delivery-van rims. I find charging close to 1200€ for that is a bit over the top.
I´ll keep looking

I have a set of VW steel wheels 17" that have done about 7000 miles. I had them from Benn last year and have now transferred the tyres onto my alloys as they are all season tyres. For sale, but I have no idea what a fair price is.

Thanks Larkrise. I would definitely be interested if we lived a bit closer, but getting the rims to Belgium feels like too much of a hassle. Good luck for selling them!

To my Belgian fellows , just pop in a good tyre centre nearby and ask there ....
VW is rippin' you off.... Got mine 265/65/16 michelin aglis alpine's + the silver steels for arround 800 euro two years ago .( 16" standard on my 140bhp 2012)
Thats the downside on having big wheels , price goes up....16" is good enough for
me , it's a Cali not a M3
If you are from the region of Antwerp i could give you details of a friend who works at a tyre shop and has a side bussines at home with plenty expiriece ( all legal with factuur and service)

Thanks for the tip! Antwerpen is indeed a bit far off, but one never knows.
It´s true that 17" is way more expensive, but no whim here, only 4Motion :)

Hi!

I´m still wrestling with the purchase of a set of winter tyres. One silly question (or several, rather): how do you store the other set at home? How big of a hassle is it to load/unload the wheels in the van, carry them downstairs etc? Or do you leave them at the garage and pay a fee so they keep them stored?
Cheers!

I stack mine in the back garden. My local tyre shop does the swap over for £20.