Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DFDS ferry

Think the most Cali owners know this , when you book and fill in the mesures of your verhicle ( in my case 2m ) it says "car" automaticly ...

Just chipping in on this old thread, because when I searched around with the same question it felt like there were still conflicting answers. I emailed DFDS this morning just to be sure and got a similar reply within 15 mins. I went to great pains to explain the vehicle type and size so there was no misunderstanding. On the trip I was looking at, with exact same details, it would have cost +£200 more if I had to choose "Small Motorhome" or "Large Van" which were the only other options available.

1728041457757.png

Meanwhile, earlier this year I got a categorical answer from DFDS that it "must match the vehicle type on your V5", i.e. "motor caravan", "so sir, that means your vehicle is a motorhome so please book accordingly". It did cost more. I did argue about it afterwards. I didn't get anywhere. I didn't want to risk any conflict/delay at the ferry terminal in the event of a jobsworth being pedantic, so I just booked in as a small motorhome and rolled with it. I won't be sailing with DFDS again anyway - late both ways and the standard of the vessel generally reminded me of a well-used travelodge.

i've travelled with DFDS with my California coast and now beach, averaging six return journeys a year for the last seven years, always booked it in as a high car. never had a single question asked. I found them cheap as chips, and I think they are overall one of the companies that offers the best service i've come across. (not perfect, but simple, straightforward and not fussy if you are late, early etc.)

I book it as high car no problem. Used them 4 times since I've got California at the end of June. I like the choice of two departure points in France and being able to take ferry up to 4h earlier or later. I prefer Dunkirk, because of lower traffic and shorter journey when coming from East.

Same with P&O, high car, no questions asked. DFDS Newhaven to Dieppe did put me on the ramp, causing arse puckering when it lifted up

i purchased a 6 trip in a year multitrip thing about four years ago, and got sent a link to make my bookings. it gives me each trip for £69 each way, fully flexible tickets, but due to a glitch, even after i had spent all my prepaid tickets, i can keep using the link to book them if i pay. it's just kept working indefinitely, which is quite useful. i phoned them once to ask what was going on and they said: well, if it works, keep doing it. so i have! haha.

in any case, if you book in advance it is about half the price of eurotunnel. i get a good rest and food on the ferry, so it works well for me.

Back