Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Diesel - Gas - Petrol (Drive Power) T6

Paulfwb

Paulfwb

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I’m a T6 diesel owner and I am anticipating ever stronger restrictions in respect to emissions. I’d like to keep the thing on the road for a long time, so I have been searching for conversations to gas. (A very clean fuel)
Has anyone experience of diesel to gas conversion?

I understand that petrol to gas is much easier, because of the combustion technique.

P.S.
Electrical power is just stupid, so I won’t even consider it.

I have no experience personally, but I am aware that LPG fuel stations are fast reducing in number in the UK. Shell are phasing out selling it for example.

I’m a T6 diesel owner and I am anticipating ever stronger restrictions in respect to emissions. I’d like to keep the thing on the road for a long time, so I have been searching for conversations to gas. (A very clean fuel)
Has anyone experience of diesel to gas conversion?

I understand that petrol to gas is much easier, because of the combustion technique.

P.S.
Electrical power is just stupid, so I won’t even consider it.
Possible, Yes with alot of work and expense.
Practical, Not really and here's why -

Good morning,

The outlook into the future with petrol or diesel powered engine vehicle is concerning.

One side I fully understand that something needs to be done. On the other side there are (let's concentrate only on Europe) millions and millions of diesel vehicles (lets also only concentrate on diesel powered vehicles) on the roads in Europe alone.

To purchase a vehicle is the second most expensive item that one can buy after a property. New vehicles were purchased at the time meeting the standards given by the government (ok, let's pretend that is the case). A few years later those vehicles are deemed not save for the environment and the owners are asked to replace them with whatever (again, something that gets the standards from the government).

Who will pay for this? Families already struggle as it is. Cost of living, mortgage, education etc. increases every year (for example house prices in Ireland ((Dublin)) are on the rise).

Because of this I can not see that there will be huge restrictions or bans or composition engines. That will be an outcry (and I will join this). My fear will be that the cost of petrol, diesel, tax etc. will be very high to encourage users to move away from those engines.

But again, even if I have to pay EUR 2.50 for a liter of diesel it is cheaper for me to continue to use the California than to buy a new vehicle for EUR 25.000 or more. Especially at that point the camper is nothing worth anymore, because nobody will buy a diesel car.

I am not sure if I would buy another California, campervan or motorhome at the moment (if I have to finance it). Also I wouldn't buy a petrol or diesel car anymore. Now that narrows down the suitable options a lot. Fully electric cars are for me a no go, so only hybrid cars are left. But this is debatable as well.

I am not the youngest anymore, so I believe as long as I am able to drive safely I can use my T6 California from 2017. What my children will drive in 10x years is a different matter.

Happy California,
Eberhard

Hi Eberhard,
Here in Switzerland, electric cars are everywhere. I assume their owners are using them for the reduced road tax they pay, and of course because it appears green.
Unfortunately, electricity is worse than fossil fuels if the big picture is seen.
  • Acquiring the Lithium
  • Dealing with spent batteries
  • The conversion of energy to electricity, which is usually wasteful. (a backdoor for the nuclear industry)
I'll use my T6 2019 until I cannot but I'll always keep my eyes open sensible conversion.

Back