Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dilemma side bars

Bugger

Why did you start this post?
Now I want side bars.......... :headbang

I have side bars with ‘steps’ on them and being vertically challenged I do use them to get in and out of the vehicle. They look cool too. When We had an altercation with a bollard in the Cali blind spot they did take the brunt of the damage too!

Mine was a really easy choice. Due to a build error I had to wait for the correction and was given some dealer options.

Here’s a couple of pics of my Indium Grey with the VW side bars.

4d233038092c52321ec9852b07d5e5aa.jpg

423344a0f3a649936514dc9159bd0fd1.jpg

Mike, looks very nice, how much did you pay for them? Also, can you open tailgate with bikes on rack? If yes, what model is it? Cheers, Robert

Rack is an Atera Strada 3 and I can open the tailgate but I do only use the rear two positions. Didn’t pay for the sidebars.

Mike

Mine was a really easy choice. Due to a build error I had to wait for the correction and was given some dealer options.

Here’s a couple of pics of my Indium Grey with the VW side bars.

4d233038092c52321ec9852b07d5e5aa.jpg

423344a0f3a649936514dc9159bd0fd1.jpg

Mike
Hi Mike, love the look of your van. May I ask which side bars these are as there are two options in the accessories brochure?

I know these aren't chrome, but will give you idea on black side steps on Indium Grey.
Mike Side Steps.jpg

They will save your side body panels on a low post collision, at least that is how I sold mine to the Wife.
We've got the chrome pack so I'm not convinced that adding a second chrome (or non chrome) strip would enhance the aesthetics, but after seeing various threads on low bollard / blind spot incidents I have been pondering for exactly this reason.

Is there a risk that side bars would just move the focus of damage elsewhere, ie to the mounting points of the bars belie the vehicle rather than the vehicle sides? Perhaps it depends of the force of impact? Does anyone have any experience of this happening- did the bars save the day?

Back