Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side bars and wind deflectors for 6.1 ocean

Maybe an obvious answer, but what are side bars good for ? Is it an optical thing, or do they protect anything, or are they otherwise helpful ?
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing ! Huuuhh !

Agree with previous, we have Hekos, super useful for keeping interior air flowing but they no way reduce noise, if anything more. I went with Hekos as did not like the stick on VW ones, but be careful to get the clips the right way around and some glass is thicker (sports pack acoustic I think) which can crack.
Can anyone tell me exactly which Heko deflectors fit the 6.1 please. I've looked on their website bit they don't mention the 6.1 at all. I have a 2021 Cali.

Can anyone tell me exactly which Heko deflectors fit the 6.1 please. I've looked on their website bit they don't mention the 6.1 at all. I have a 2021 Cali.
Just choose Transporter.

Got mine from VanX, very good quality and fitted with 3m tape. Very secure

So thanks to Amazon Prime (poor employer ethics aside, I do love next day delivery on a impulse purchase at 23:05 the night before). Link to the ones shown below here:

Heko: https://amzn.to/48xYwUQ
ClimAir: https://amzn.to/47Byhve

Comparing the two (NOTE - ClimAirs have only been test-fitted, not fully fitted) - ClimAir Sport (Black) on the top, Heko on the bottom:
View attachment 118146Heko:
Fitting:

Clip in place - general consenus is that you need MORE clips than provided for them to stay safely in long term (source - some cases of them falling out after 12-18 months on a variety of forums (including my own experience)). However other than that, they do a damn good job. Also nice that there's no permanent (?) damage to the vehicle; albeit good luck getting those clips back out hurhurhur. Depending on fitment etc, you can end up scuffing the mirror mount fascia with the sharp lower corner with wind vibration etc.
Visual:
Heko's have a slightly different shape than the ClimAirs. They have a slight cutout around the wing mirror section. Small/insignificant logo markings. The Hekos have a slight brown/red hue to their tint. Colour comparison: View attachment 118147Size:
A little smaller in their overall depth compared to ClimAirs but also protrude more too. Certainly when I had my Hekos on, there was a fairly noticable increase in wind noise.

ClimAir:
Fitting:

Slot in place and retain with a rubber foot slotted inside a retention bracket with one incredibly tiny screw (imagine your kid's most annoying battery operated toy; it's that thing's battery compartment screw). That said, far more confidence with fitting longevity. Downside is; you're drilling part of your van (albeit only a replacable plastic fascia).
Visual:
As mentioned, slightly different shape around the mirror; but equally more of a curve to it too, giving a less angular look and more inkeeping with some of the body panels in my opinion. Sadly though, the ClimAir sticker looks like something you'd see on some 90's tennis apparell, and far less subtle as Hekos. And cant see how you'd remove it either. The ClimAirs (Sports - so the blackest ones) have a more natural grey tint than the Hekos. Colour comparison: View attachment 118148Size:
Being slightly deeper means the ClimAirs can allow the windows to open more without buffeting from wind (or being open more when parked up and allowing more airflow). They also hug the van a bit closer too, so less noise I suspect (not yet test driven).

Some pictures for those who are as dull as me:

Example of the ClimAir on the van (plenty of Heko examples out there too).
View attachment 118149

ClimAir tint from drivers view: View attachment 118150
Anyone fit these to a 23/24 van with sport pack? I’ve just fitted mine and they knock ever so slightly last few centimeters on winding up that triggers the safety feature and they wind back down I obviously have laminated glass and went for these over the heko for that reason. I managed to get them up by pulling out the deflector a little bit. instructions say leave it for 12 hours before putting down so will do that but no idea how this might fix the issue. Pretty annoyed now can send them back as it came from Amazon but I have two small holes in the van.

Anyone fit these to a 23/24 van with sport pack? I’ve just fitted mine and they knock ever so slightly last few centimeters on winding up that triggers the safety feature and they wind back down I obviously have laminated glass and went for these over the heko for that reason. I managed to get them up by pulling out the deflector a little bit. instructions say leave it for 12 hours before putting down so will do that but no idea how this might fix the issue. Pretty annoyed now can send them back as it came from Amazon but I have two small holes in the van.
I had exact same issue.
But only after a year.
I took them off, took it to VW and they adjusted the finger pressure sensor so it pushes harder and doesn’t back off and open now.
I 100% prefer the ClimAir ones.
And I have zero finger pinch back off issues now.
MY23.
And yep, there is a bit of a dunk as it closes the last 1 1/2 inch.

I had exact same issue.
But only after a year.
I took them off, took it to VW and they adjusted the finger pressure sensor so it pushes harder and doesn’t back off and open now.
MY23.
Thanks at least I’m not the only one, unless adjusting the sensor is something I can do I think I will removed them at send them back, gutted as I do like them

Last edited:
Thanks at least I’m not the only one, unless adjusting the sensor is something I can do I think I will removed them at send them back, gutted as I do like them
Have a google search on how to reset automatic one touch window.
Try that first.
Then check the channels are clean, might be worth hovering them a clean with some good quality body shampoo. And then rinse throughly.
If it’s a MY23 you are under warranty and it could be the channels are not aligned well.
I explained to the workshop it looks like the side of the window closest to the front of the vehicle seams to drop more than the back.
Whatever they did.
They fixed it. They told me they adjusted the finger trap sensor. But now I’ve searched I think the sensor trap is just the volts amps being called on for the motor.
When it senses a rise in amps &/or volts it backs off.
So do like I did. Remove the deflectors.
And book it in.
They’ll fix it.
I’m seeing the same issues online, with people using clips and Hekos.

I had exact same issue.
But only after a year.
MY23.
This is so strange I have had the same issue on my drivers side door it’s now fixed all I did is spray a bit of silicone spray on the seal it’s probably gone hard in the cold weather easy fix

This is so strange I have had the same issue on my drivers side door it’s now fixed all I did is spray a bit of silicone spray on the seal it’s probably gone hard in the cold weather easy fix

I went back out and tried it maybe 4 or so hrs after I fitted them (I know instructions say wait 12hrs) and you know all seems fine now. There is still a bit of clunk as it passes the last few centimeters but sits fine now and I’m happy with this. Passenger side is exactly the same too. Maybe the width of them on the channel sort of depresses into the rubber over time.

I went back out and tried it maybe 4 or so hrs after I fitted them (I know instructions say wait 12hrs) and you know all seems fine now. There is still a bit of clunk as it passes the last few centimeters but sits fine now and I’m happy with this. Passenger side is exactly the same too. Maybe the width of them on the channel sort of depresses into the rubber over time.
There you go !
Happy days !
Tbh, they should be standard.
As they stop drips onto the window and mirror switch’s, let you leave the Cali overnight with a couple of inch cracks for ventilation.
And look cool to boot !

Yeah agree look cool and for sure stop drips I fitted them mainly so I can leave a window slightly open at night. Thanks all for input , love this forum and being a Cali owner

Soooo, I just tried to install my ClimAir side deflectors ...

No go for me right now: when I try to close the window, as soon as it "feels" the rubber is in the way because of the side deflector sitting there in between, it goes down again ...

There must be something I am wrong ? I can't be the only one with electrical windows and as I see it, the problem should exist with all brands/types that fit in the rubbers of the windows ?

Thanks for any help.

Stefan.

I have the smoke grey ones with blue sticker (just got them a few days ago). I'm quite sure that logo can be removed with isopropyl alcohol: I've done that quite a few times on plastic parts (like publicity writings on pens etc ...) without any harm to the plastic. WD40 is also very good to clean and shine plastics.

View attachment 118285

No go for me right now: when I try to close the window, as soon as it "feels" the rubber is in the way because of the side deflector sitting there in between, it goes down again ...

There must be something I am wrong ? I can't be the only one with electrical windows and as I see it, the problem should exist with all brands/types that fit in the rubbers of the windows ?

Thanks for any help.

Stefan.
Laminated or tempered glass? The laminated are thicker and could cause the glass to bind against the deflector in the channel. Try a little silicon spray and repeat. Could be just enough lubrication to allow the glass to slide into position.

Thanks for any help.

Stefan.
Did you install them, push the window up as they go up, and then leave them like the manual states for 12 hours is it ?
The window pushes the air deflector into the rubber, and then it can work ok.
Also try a little silicon spray as mentioned.
But do leave them as stated.

I tried again: a few times, the window went up a little bit more, but I can hear the motor has to work harder and harder, and it goed up not more then half ..
Here's a picture of what it looks like; it stops going up about where it is now. By really pushing the deflector to the outside, it went up a little bit more, but the motor had to work too hard to be "normal" ... I mad a video also, but it's the first time I try this, so I hope it will work (Instagram):

View attachment 1707564196791.jpg

Maybe I'm doing it wrong ? Should the deflector be between the rubber where the window itself slides up and down ? I installed it at the outside of the rubber ..

Back