Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side bars and wind deflectors for 6.1 ocean

jaynehale1968

jaynehale1968

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi everyone , just recently bought my california ocean in indium grey metallic with the chrome pack. I want to add side bars in chrome but Im unsure which part to order as there are two types of side bars.
Does anyone know which one is the best for the 6.1 ocean?
Also has anyone added the vw wind deflectors and are they any good at reducing the noise?

IMG_6048.jpeg

IMG_6048.jpeg

I'd say wind deflectors are probably quite an important mod/accessory.

They allow you to open the window ever so slightly when parked up, giving a chance for the moisure to leave the van and avoid some of the heavy condensation that can build up overnight. Additionally, you can open the window without being buffetted by the wind/rain.

Noise wise, if I recall, I actually found it more noisy having them on; one of mine became a bit loose, so waiting to refit them. But i'd be happy with the noise given their benefits.

Thumbs up for wind deflectors. Several different designs with differing mounting solutions. I found the wind noise reduction especially when cracked a little is fine. Reduces the amount of water dripping into the cab when window is rolled down. Biggest advantage for me is that I can leave the windows slight open for ventilation but it's not immediately obvious from the outside. I have the light smoke version from ClimAir. I also think they look good and sort of 'disappear' on a grey vehicle.

Wind deflectors definitely but the ones that VW sell for a T6 don't fit as well as the ones that they sell (or used to) for the T5. They will tell you that the T5 ones won't fit a T6 but that's rubbish!
I know from experience.

@rod_vw are you referring to the VW T5 ones which attach to the door rather inside the window aperture? I guess these should also fit T6.1 - same door?

@rod_vw are you referring to the VW T5 ones which attach to the door rather inside the window aperture? I guess these should also fit T6.1 - same door?
The doors are all the same. These are mine, fitted to the door surface not inserted into the window slides. If the paint surface is correctly cleaned they bond well, these have been on the vehicle for 80,000+ miles without problem.
1705146745076.png

Agree with previous, we have Hekos, super useful for keeping interior air flowing but they no way reduce noise, if anything more. I went with Hekos as did not like the stick on VW ones, but be careful to get the clips the right way around and some glass is thicker (sports pack acoustic I think) which can crack.

Agree with previous, we have Hekos, super useful for keeping interior air flowing but they no way reduce noise, if anything more. I went with Hekos as did not like the stick on VW ones, but be careful to get the clips the right way around and some glass is thicker (sports pack acoustic I think) which can crack.
Wind deflectors are on my list to do and I have the acoustic pack, am I better off getting the stick-on ones? Hadn’t heard of cracking issues before.

Wouldn’t recommend clip on ones then. The acoustic pack has thicker glass and can delaminate the top of the windows. Not worth the risk.
What a great forum this is, how the hell would you know that otherwise? Was all set to buy the Heko ones.

Thanks @rod_vw. We have the same on our T5.1 and will need to buy a set for our T6.1 when it comes.

Thumbs up for wind deflectors. Several different designs with differing mounting solutions. I found the wind noise reduction especially when cracked a little is fine. Reduces the amount of water dripping into the cab when window is rolled down. Biggest advantage for me is that I can leave the windows slight open for ventilation but it's not immediately obvious from the outside. I have the light smoke version from ClimAir. I also think they look good and sort of 'disappear' on a grey vehicle.
one more vote for ClimAir.
I have darker smoke ClimAir Sport which appears almost black from outside and makes a brilliant combo with the gloss black B pillar and mirror upper case, if you have them as part of Sport or Edition pack.

The doors are all the same. These are mine, fitted to the door surface not inserted into the window slides. If the paint surface is correctly cleaned they bond well, these have been on the vehicle for 80,000+ miles without problem.
View attachment 118097
Got the same fitted to my 2015 SE. Hopefully they last as long as yours as I like them a lot!

Climair look an interesting choice.

Downside though - drilling the plastic fascia etc. But having had one Heko fall out (after 3~ years) and scratch the paintwork, I guess a screw is the lesser evil. Might consider these....

@Jimmylondon07 - Given these dont use clips in the window, i'd assume they'd be ok? https://amzn.to/3S0O7tE

Their direct store website comes in at £67, so slightly cheaper on Amazon. More dear than Heko too - whether or not that means the quality is better or not is anyones guess.

Last edited:

Downside though - drilling the plastic fascia etc. But having had one Heko fall out (after 3~ years) and scratch the paintwork, I guess a screw is the lesser evil. Might consider these....

@Jimmylondon07 - Given these dont use clips in the window, i'd assume they'd be ok? https://amzn.to/3S0O7tE

Their direct store website comes in at £67, so slightly cheaper on Amazon. More dear than Heko too - whether or not that means the quality is better or not is anyones guess.
Was looking at the OEM VW ones a bit earlier but not sure how the adhesive tape holds up long term.

Will be sending my van in to the local converter in a couple of weeks to fit a bike rack so will probably ask them to do a proper job with the wind reflectors and a rear tailgate bumper protector as well.

Was looking at the OEM VW ones a bit earlier but not sure how the adhesive tape holds up long term.

Will be sending my van in to the local converter in a couple of weeks to fit a bike rack so will probably ask them to do a proper job with the wind reflectors and a rear tailgate bumper protector as well.
For what it's worth if you wanted to save a couple of bob, the tailgate bike rack is an easy job (assuming a Quasi rack, rather than a Kylie?) - just needs two people out of safety / convenience, rather than necessity. I've done it solo before. More than happy to come down and help you with it if you wanted to. Tailgate protector is just a 3M taped facia too.

Not necessary to drill any holes. I secured that piece using automotive 3M double backed adhesive tape. The deflector is secured through the window channel. Hasn’t budged in over a year.

I'd say wind deflectors are probably quite an important mod/accessory.

They allow you to open the window ever so slightly when parked up, giving a chance for the moisure to leave the van and avoid some of the heavy condensation that can build up overnight. Additionally, you can open the window without being buffetted by the wind/rain.

Noise wise, if I recall, I actually found it more noisy having them on; one of mine became a bit loose, so waiting to refit them. But i'd be happy with the noise given their benefits.
They are noisier, but the benefits outweigh the additional noise.

Re wind noise. Does a Cali have the additional door seals? If not I'll post a photo of where to fit the adhesive ones which do stop a lot of noise.

I have the VW stick on ones, no real noise from these. Have used Heko ones before on cars and think the way they fit can cause poor door seal creating more noise.

Have used the Heko for prob 10 months now and not noticed any reduction in wind noise when fitted pretty much same with / without. No issues with the clips has been perfect since fitting (also quick vid i did when i first fitted) - looks good and stops drips into cabin or helps vent if you want to keep windows down slighly while camping.

I've got some ClimAir's coming tomorrow now, so might see if I can fit them.

Also having had Hekos AND had them spontaneously fall from the van and damage the bodywork, i'm keen for something a bit more secure. No faulting the Hekos other than that - which on reflection is pretty fundamental actually! :D

I'll get a picture of them side by side on the ground for folks.

Back