Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Discover media sat nav

Neilos

Neilos

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello all, apologies for a fairly dry topic! We have a 2018 Beach. It has the optional sat nav. I’ve tried searching on this forum and reading the VW blurb. According to the VW description the routing is ‘dynamic’ to take into account traffic. Does anyone know if this works properly? And also, do I need to have set something up to get this to work? Like Car Net? I don’t have the dongle for WiFi. I haven’t as yet registered for car net or media control as benefits seems a bit vague. We have had the van about a month or so, and I like the integrated sat nav instructions on the MFD on the dash, but worried it’s ignoring traffic. Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello all, apologies for a fairly dry topic! We have a 2018 Beach. It has the optional sat nav. I’ve tried searching on this forum and reading the VW blurb. According to the VW description the routing is ‘dynamic’ to take into account traffic. Does anyone know if this works properly? And also, do I need to have set something up to get this to work? Like Car Net? I don’t have the dongle for WiFi. I haven’t as yet registered for car net or media control as benefits seems a bit vague. We have had the van about a month or so, and I like the integrated sat nav instructions on the MFD on the dash, but worried it’s ignoring traffic. Thanks all!

The built in satnav uses radio reports to monitor traffic holdups/road closures, it works quite well but is not infallible. A couple of weeks ago it correctly advised and rerouted our trip home from Cornwall away from the closed A36 but on other occasions we have ignored its diversion advice and found the road to be clear. Some use Waze or Google on their Car Play to obtain more accurate info instead.

It can pick up traffic information from the radio or phone.

The radio is generally less accurate, and the phone generally more accurate.

To get the information from the phone you will need car net.

But be warned - it sometimes suggests goofy things - like coming off a congested motorway, where it has traffic flow information, and through a town centre, which it thinks is clear because it has no traffic flow information. You need to apply a bit of common sense to its route suggestions sometimes.

Thanks both, I thought the car net might have something to do with it. That’s a job for tonight before a camping trip this weekend!
Loving the Beach so far.

Many of us believe it is hopeless (with regards to traffic....which is rather an influence these days!). Relying on the radio updates it will often take you miles around incidents that occurred yesterday. Welshgas thinks it’s great so he’ll be along soon (he would have been here already had he just used google maps on his phone!).

It may be better using carnet (or whatever) but seems overly complex and expensive given we all have phones with data Bluetoothed to our vans.

I do know what you mean, when app connect with Waze, google or Apple maps are really so good now there’s really not a great advantage to a built in sat nav which just ages and becomes out of date. We didn’t choose it as it was a demo van but now I’ve got it I just wanted to try and make the most of it. It’s a shame you don’t get information on the MFD when using app connect. The VW system is very good in that regard, tells the driver just the information needed without taking eyes too far off the road. My wife would prefer a paper map, she hates the sat nav!

i have the highest spec sat-nav in my 2014 T5 and i find it almost unusable. Waze or Google maps work so much better it is laughable.

Screenshot showing CarNet traffic flow on part of the M25, M20 and M26. The traffic flow information comes from Highways England and is generally very accurate.

I find WAZE much quicker and easier to input, it is always fully up-to-date, even with road works, it tells me the (ever changing) speed limits and gives me warnings, includes average speed checks, time for traffic jams etc. For me it is accurate within minutes even on long journeys. The older VW system is a slow old beast with a very odd input method. It does seem to have some idea about traffic, but rerouting is not to be trusted and it seems to miss a lot. That said the map isn't too bad, it's just mostly way out of date and a pain to update.

Many of us believe it is hopeless (with regards to traffic....which is rather an influence these days!). Relying on the radio updates it will often take you miles around incidents that occurred yesterday. Welshgas thinks it’s great so he’ll be along soon (he would have been here already had he just used google maps on his phone!).

It may be better using carnet (or whatever) but seems overly complex and expensive given we all have phones with data Bluetoothed to our vans.
Please get your FACTS correct. I have NO thoughts about the Discover Media System as that is ONLY fitted to the T6. I have the RNS510 and with regards to that unit, YES it is superior to any Phone based system or standalone system as far as I am concerned.

I have a 17MY T6 with discover media in which I have updated the maps. Bluntly it is rubbish!
As an example we were driving south on the M6 last Wednesday between J3a and Corley services the sat-nav simply announced "M6 closed!" No explanation of where or in which direction!
We were travelling in two vehicles, me in the 1946 Beetle and Liz in the T6 so when we stopped at the services Liz told me of the announcement. In the Beetle I was using Waze so I looked on that to find any problems, there weren't any! This is something that has occurred quite often to us on our travels.

What the hell are VW doing supplying a system that provides such rubbish at such an exorbitant price.

I enquired of VW last Autumn when they were going to update their mapping and data include the French national speed limit changes to be told that they only did the updates twice a year! At the price they charge for the system it should be updated at least monthly if not weekly especially when there are free offerings such as Waze that are constantly revised and updated. Waze even tells me when I am exceeding the speed limit.

Not particularly to do with the sat-nav but within that system I am now in mainland Europe and have to re-set the vehicle clock. Why? The vehicle knows where we are and has perfect time data from satellites so can easily present the correct time but it doesn't! Even my Chinese mobile (sorry Mr Trump) can manage to do that!
Along the same lines the VW system could also provide the option of displaying the vehicle speed on the MFD in the correct format kph or mph dependent on the location.

To answer the OP's question whatever it tells you is not reliable so best ignore it.

Rod

What the hell are VW doing supplying a system that provides such rubbish at such an exorbitant price.
Having used Discover Media almost exclusively in 33 European countries to find campsites I have never visited before, I have found it to be indispensable. I've no idea how we'd have survived with just a paper map. And it works perfectly in areas without a phone signal.

That is not to say it isn't without flaws- it tried to send us up this lane:

And our 2016 map data had no information about the newly opened Ionia Odos when we were there on 7 February 2018.

If deciding to stay off main roads, there is no option to avoid unpaved roads.

@Amarillo do you really consider that a system costing little short of £2000 to be value for money compared with 'Search for sites' used with Waze These two will work together and as far as I know both still free except for the data charge.

Example, find the campsite that you are interested in, read the reviews, make the decision to go there, click on the navigation link to Waze and simply follow the route instructions.

From experience of a motorway accident in Belgium delaying traffic up to an hour last Monday I was re-routed to my destination seamlessly.
Needless to say I didn't spec VW sat-nav, it was already fitted to my dealer ex-demo vehicle.

@Amarillo do you really consider that a system costing little short of £2000 to be value for money
I make the cost of the sat Nav under £500:
Discover Media £966 less Composition Media £474.
Less and discount, I had 14% off, so the additional cost of the navigation system on top of the media system was about £425

Very little with VW appears to be value for money- but I’m glad I have it.

I make the cost of the sat Nav under £500:
Discover Media £966 less Composition Media £474.
Less and discount, I had 14% off, so the additional cost of the navigation system on top of the media system was about £425

Very little with VW appears to be value for money- but I’m glad I have it.
i have the highest spec sat-nav in my 2014 T5 and i find it almost unusable. Waze or Google maps work so much better it is laughable.

I have the 2014 T5 but bought in Germany and the Sat Nav RSN 510 which generally does a good job. I am going to update it this week.

The only big problem I have is inputting the Lat and Long. co ordinates for the French Aires, which are very hard to find any other way. I type them into the boxes as it says in the guide, and it looks correct, but then the system yells me it cannot accept them. Anyone else had this problem and know what to do?

Post codes are no use in France as cover a big area.

I have the 2014 T5 but bought in Germany and the Sat Nav RSN 510 which generally does a good job. I am going to update it this week.

The only big problem I have is inputting the Lat and Long. co ordinates for the French Aires, which are very hard to find any other way. I type them into the boxes as it says in the guide, and it looks correct, but then the system yells me it cannot accept them. Anyone else had this problem and know what to do?

Tells

There are various GPS formats so you may be using the wrong format.

Last edited:
There are various GPS formats so you may be using the wrong format.

It is also possible to get east and west mixed up, especially, if like me, you live almost on top of the zero meridian; it's harder the get north and south the wrong way round in Europe.

It is also possible to get east and west mixed up, especially, if like me, you live almost on top of the zero meridian; it's harder the get north and south the wrong way round in Europe.
Thank you , helpful.

I like the t6 sat nav system when it’s used with the data from your phone. I find the best combination to be traffic data ON but Dynamic Routing OFF - so you can still see the jams but decide for yourself whether to take any diversions.

Another plus is the ability to drop destinations from CarNet on your phone, onto the VW system so it’s there when you get in the car.

I also like the fact that with the Discover Media, you have directions on the MFD and can have an overview map with the pop up window on main screen, which gives you time and distance to the next motorway service stations / aires and also which brand it is and what facilities it has etc ie SHELL/AGIP, restaurants, toilets etc. It’s GREAT for planning pit stops, especially with children (ie can I skip this aire and get to the next one before a global meltdown originates from my vehicle?)

The clock not changing when you cross the channel is frustrating - on my LR Discovery 5 it used to change the clock and dip your headlamps when you exited the Eurotunnel - unfortunately that was about the ONLY thing on it that DID work you can’t have it all.

I also don’t mind Apple Maps in CarPlay as you have main map on the 6.33 screen and direction itinerary on the phone screen. Have been using TomTom beta for CarPlay but on both of these I miss the ‘pit stop planning’ functionality of the VW system.

To not cut a long story any shorter at all, I tend to use apple maps locally and VW on road trips. Dynamic does work but I’m not keen on it as it can make your life more complicated than my post has become.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back