Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sat Nav map update

Took the plunge last night. Made a copy of my existing VW SD card. Then with the use of the VW DiscoverCare program I downloaded from the VW website I followed the prompts and upgraded my VW SD card. The updated maps have been sucessfully installed.
Thanks for your help Steve.

Took the plunge last night. Made a copy of my existing VW SD card. Then with the use of the VW DiscoverCare program I downloaded from the VW website I followed the prompts and upgraded my VW SD card. The updated maps have been sucessfully installed.
Thanks for your help Steve.

Good stuff. Must do mine.

Mike

Has anyone managed to install working map data on a non VW sd card? I would like to preserve my original card.

Has anyone managed to install working map data on a non VW sd card? I would like to preserve my original card.

I believe it's possible by making an image of the card using a linux based computer but it's not straightforward.

Thanks for that, Just purchased a 2018 one for £15.50, doubt it will be sealed "VW" but will give it a go. Good feedback and seller wanted pics of my unit/screen etc to make sure it was correct.
I want to buy one from a similar seller but don’t know how to establish my model number, RN315 etc. Does any expert know how?

How do you get the SD card out of the Sat Nav?
I am suspicious that ours has failed on the RN510...

How do you get the SD card out of the Sat Nav?
I am suspicious that ours has failed on the RN510...
I'm not sure what you mean. On my RNS510 the SD card has nothing to do with the SatNav, it just has music files on it and just pushes into a horizontal slot below the screen. To remove you just push the card in and it will spring out so it can be gripped and pulled out.

I'm not sure what you mean. On my RNS510 the SD card has nothing to do with the SatNav, it just has music files on it and just pushes into a horizontal slot below the screen. To remove you just push the card in and it will spring out so it can be gripped and pulled out.
Clutching at straws really. I didn't realise there was an SD slot and wondered if the data for the navigation was stored in it. From this it seems not.
After using a cleaner disc there is still no change and we can't get the nav disc to install.
We've tried various sorts of reset but still can't persuade the disc to install. Maybe it's a hard drive problem or a loose wire!

Clutching at straws really. I didn't realise there was an SD slot and wondered if the data for the navigation was stored in it. From this it seems not.
After using a cleaner disc there is still no change and we can't get the nav disc to install.
We've tried various sorts of reset but still can't persuade the disc to install. Maybe it's a hard drive problem or a loose wire!
All I can come up with is this.
https://www.hazzydayz.com/genuine-vw-rns-510-sat-nav-repair-and-services-1390-p.asp

If you visit them, St Albans, they can remove/repair/re-fit while you wait.

From memory, the nav files come on a DVD which you insert in the slot. The nav files are then transferred to the hard disk in the unit.

You should be able to test the DVD drive by putting any DVD or CD in and see if it plays, I think ...

If you can't read the maps disc, try it in a computer and see if there is an error. You should at least be able to read the contents of the disk.

Could be a bad dvd. If you downloaded & wrote an image to dvd try doing it again using a different brand of disc at a slow write rate. If bought dvd then as others say try it in computer & different dvd in stereo.
If this is RNS510 pm me & I can post a copy of working dvd.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

From memory, the nav files come on a DVD which you insert in the slot. The nav files are then transferred to the hard disk in the unit.

You should be able to test the DVD drive by putting any DVD or CD in and see if it plays, I think ...

If you can't read the maps disc, try it in a computer and see if there is an error. You should at least be able to read the contents of the disk.
We tested the Sat nav and it plays dvd's but we didn't try the nav disc in a different player as it is from a reputable seller but we will give that a go.
Good idea thx

Really need to update our navigation 2016 discover media, have read above, but really need an even more basic idiots guide. ie How do you save the original data from SD card, how do you unzip the files to download the files and then update to card. Really terrified that will wipe the whole lot off and never see it again.

Really need to update our navigation 2016 discover media, have read above, but really need an even more basic idiots guide. ie How do you save the original data from SD card, how do you unzip the files to download the files and then update to card. Really terrified that will wipe the whole lot off and never see it again.
Your's will be a different update method to the earlier sat navs on the T5's. I seem to recall that @T6 CFO Mike did a good write up on the later sat navs fitted to the T6, if you can find the thread.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/how-to-guides/sat-nav

You can buy an Update SD card from your VW Dealership.

Using the VW Discover Care software the update process for those with Discover Media units would appear to be straightforward.
Just tried it and after downloading the files and starting to instal on the SD card it failed at 92% on 4 separate attempts.
SHOULD be straightforward but clearly isn't :headbang

You can buy an Update SD card from your VW Dealership.
That would be cheating.

VW boast that Discover Media has free map upgrades. It is not free if you buy from a dealer.

How much is it to buy an upgrade? If cheating is sufficiently cheap, I’m happy to be cheated cheaply.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

That would be cheating.

VW boast that Discover Media has free map upgrades. It is not free if you buy from a dealer.

How much is it to buy an upgrade? If cheating is sufficiently cheap, I’m happy to be cheated cheaply.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
No idea. You’ll have to ask VW.
9B7BC65E-2593-4D95-8A58-420C83285E31.jpeg

Jolly tricky in our experience when our satnav failed all by itself.
Eventually (... lots of angst etc) the whole lot crashed irreversibly and we visited https://www.hazzydayz.https://www.hazzydayz.com who fixed it for us. They even fitted VW Bluetooth which has upgraded my whole experience so much.
The SD card quoted in my Post above is for the SatNav system fitted in the T6, if you don't wish to or can't download the updates yourself and do the update procedure.

I updated mine earlier this year via the 'on-line' method without any problem.

However I am disappointed how out of date it is having been into France this summer to discover that the VW Satnav has not been updated with the new national speed limits. I know the change in France only came into being on the 1st of July but it was so well broadcast in advance I would have thought VW (or their satnav data suppliers) would have been on the ball with updated software.

Has anyone updated theirs recently and can confirm or or otherwise that these changes have now been made?

Rod

The SD card quoted in my Post above is for the SatNav system fitted in the T6, if you don't wish to or can't download the updates yourself and do the update procedure.
Ah, didn't realise thàt was different!

New update available for the Discover Media.

They are updated 21st of june 2021.
Version 1730

FYI of course...
Updating my dad's T6 Multivan with them though the program VW DiscoverCare.

Back