Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Discovery media screen gone mad after service

G

ger

Hi,

My 2016 Beach went in for a service and cambelt change last week, and driving it back, the discovery media unit started beeping with phantom screen presses. In satnav mode, it was moving the map around, occasionally clicking on different menu items. It doesn't always happen, but when it starts, it's pretty intense and makes the unit un-usable.
Initial calls to the dealer gave me the impression that they don't think this is connected to their work at all, and that this is just a co-incidence. But it's never happened before - this is the first time I've seen it happen, so I can't really believe it just happened to start after being in there. Tried a soft reset (holding down power button), but that didn't work.
It didn't happen on the way there, and the radio was on a different station when I was driving back, so someone had touched it....

So any thoughts on:
- anything I can try to get the unit behaving again?
- what service or cambelt related work could have caused it? I'm kind of wondering if over-enthusiastic use of anti-bac spray or anti-covid measures could have caused it....

It's really depressing because I've only just got the van back after this painful experience and looking forward to some carefree ownership once again :-(

Thanks!

Did they apply any software updates?

When the Cali goes in they tend to check whether any software updates are required, and may have applied them without asking you first.

Did they apply any software updates?

When the Cali goes in they tend to check whether any software updates are required, and may have applied them without asking you first.

Is your Radio the original Radio? Some vehicles were shipped without the DAB function, from the factory which was a factory misbuild
My van was one of them, The dealer replaced the original non Dab unit with the correct DAB enabled unit.
However :
When my van was in having some warranty work done, ( starter battery replaced) the tech hooked my van up to the VW Factory network, (required for warranty work) hooking the van up to the factory network, will apply the “ factory “ settings and activate all updates. (Misbuild included)
The effect on my Radio was “No navigation Data” displayed on the screen and only limited functionality, no blue tooth etc!
Long story short, the dealer had “Sat Nav Systems” in a Surbiton replace the unit at the dealers cost.
M’
So yes the dealer can damage your software,

Is your van still within warranty?

If it is take it back,
if not within warranty, take it back!
:cheers

Can't be 100% sure it's the factory original radio, and no, it's not in warranty :-(

They didn't mention anything about any updates...

Got video of it happening so will send them that on Monday. Main concern is getting into a "prove it wasn't happening before, it cant be anything to do with us" situation. Those units aren't cheap
:-/

Can't be 100% sure it's the factory original radio, and no, it's not in warranty :-(

They didn't mention anything about any updates...

Got video of it happening so will send them that on Monday. Main concern is getting into a "prove it wasn't happening before, it cant be anything to do with us" situation. Those units aren't cheap
:-/

Not sure where you are in the country Give these guys a call, super helpful, very knowledgeable, dealer approved.

Not sure where you are in the country Give these guys a call, super helpful, very knowledgeable, dealer approved.
You should be on a commission. ;)

If you can get a vcds diagnostics scan, then it might show internal fault.
The first time the fault occurred, that date is recorded.
It will also show how many times the same fault occurred.

This might help to reinforce your claim.

If you can take a photo of the head unit you have, then the guys and ladies on here will soon confirm if original spec unit.

Where abouts are you?
Someone with a vcds might be close by and be prepared to connect to give you the scan file.

Screenshot_2020-07-05-09-41-14-524_com.mi.android.globalFileexplorer.jpg
Thanks for all responses so far!
That's the unit (I hope picture makes it through)...I'm in South Hams, Devon.
Do you think a possessed screen would even register as a fault?

View attachment 62233
Thanks for all responses so far!
That's the unit (I hope picture makes it through)...I'm in South Hams, Devon.
Do you think a possessed screen would even register as a fault?
Yes standard Discover Media SatNav unit. Others will be able to quote the spec number etc.

To me this sounds like the proximity sensor is playing up.....i.e. you only need your finger to be close to the screen to be able to select and move displayed menus etc.

Within the vcds diagnostics there may be an option/adaptation to reset and test the proximity sensor.

At the start of the year the head unit in my Cali started to play up....switching off intermittently, varying intensity of the screen brightness, and finally not wanting to boot up.

I have a vcds and yes it did show errors, that I was able to print out and give to VW at the time.

The VW engineer conceded that the error report from vcds was more extensive than that provided by the VW diagnostics.

During their testing they discovered that there was a supposed software fix for this, but it did not work with my unit.

Fortunately I was still within the VW warranty, and it was replaced FOC.

You should be on a commission. ;)
Not at all WG, just happy to recommend a company I have used on five occasions, great customer service and very knowledgeable, nothing is too much trouble, which is a rare combination today.
I was put onto them by my Vw dealer who uses them for all their “dealer” retro fits and remedial works.
I also shout up Hazzy days for retro fits. I know from experince when you have an issue, a steer in the right direction may be all you need.
Vw dealers could learn a lot from companies like these :thumb

The fault could be a faulty GPS Aerial.
Does the Sat nav just wander off the road you are on, regardless if a route is set ? and start rotating the map and generally loosing your correct position, for no apparent reason?
I have had this happen twice before, it was an intermittent problem and fully resolved by replacing the GPS aerial (two different units and two different vans)

It happens on every screen, not just satnav, so don't think it's specifically related to the gps.
It's getting phantom screen presses (it beeps frequently) and finger moves.
The setup menu is particularly scary as it keeps selecting random options, and it can't be over-ridden when it thinks the 'phantom finger' is already in control...!

Have you got a screen protector fitted ? If so is it glass of plastic ?

Is it damaged, I.e hair line crack, in the screen protector, maybe not immediately visible?

Dealer saying it's nothing to do with any work they've done, but they're happy to diagnose it... Seems to be a case of my word against theirs, and I'm wrong!
:-(

Dealer saying it's nothing to do with any work they've done, but they're happy to diagnose it... Seems to be a case of my word against theirs, and I'm wrong!
:-(
You could try disconnecting the Engine Battery for 60 minutes to power down the unit totally. Might work. Don't need any codes as the unit, if factory fit, is coded to the vehicle computer. May have to reset time, date and language.

How did this end? I have the same issue now on mine!
Known issue, happens typically after 3 years, sorted in latest hardware apparently. Got replacement unit from satnav systems (who were fab!) with trade in on old unit, and got (non vw) warranty to cover most of the £1400 cost...

It's a standard feature of that vintage system. Mine even managed to make a phone call all on its own a couple of weeks ago!

Back