Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DIY Plywood Table Extension

It occurred to me this morning that a hexagonal table top for up to six people would work: a side to side measurement of 965mm would fit in the boot with the bench positioned on the rails for making the bed, and give 557mm for each of the six sides. The surface area of the table would be 0.807 sq meters, 16% less than the 0.965 sq m of our near square table. The apex to apex measurement would be 1.114 metres

A hexagonal table would look stunning in our hexaway awning.

It occurred to me this morning that a hexagonal table top for up to six people would work: a side to side measurement of 965mm would fit in the boot with the bench positioned on the rails for making the bed, and give 557mm for each of the six sides. The surface area of the table would be 0.807 sq meters, 16% less than the 0.965 sq m of our near square table. The apex to apex measurement would be 1.114 metres

A hexagonal table would look stunning in our hexaway awning.

This sounds excellent. We too have the Hexaway but I find that our useable dining space is so distorted by equipment (particularly dog cage & bed) that a hex table wouldn’t currently work for us.

That said, I’m already looking forward to viewing your hexagonal effort...

Perhaps when our baby pup can be trusted without a cage, I might give it a go. Especially worthwhile because we are going to be camping & dining in the English rain more these days!

Good luck!

This sounds excellent. We too have the Hexaway but I find that our useable dining space is so distorted by equipment (particularly dog cage & bed) that a hex table wouldn’t currently work for us.

That said, I’m already looking forward to viewing your hexagonal effort...

Perhaps when our baby pup can be trusted without a cage, I might give it a go. Especially worthwhile because we are going to be camping & dining in the English rain more these days!

Good luck!
I'm no longer convinced a regular hexagon would work: see below.

1627036733800.png

I used the half sheets glued together method for ours. Was surprised that 5.5mm ply is now £25 a sheet!
I used a Track saw, a jigsaw and a sander to knock the corner off the edges

Clamping to glue it was the hardest part, the piece wasn't very straight but there wasnt a lot of choice

Painted it with some rustoleom furniture paint I had got cheaply.

Very pleased with it - thanks for the tips.

IMG_20210719_121138.jpg

IMG_20210719_145805.jpg

Back