Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do i need a reversing camera?

Paul Morris

Paul Morris

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
I have front and back parking sensors.
Is the reversing camera really required with these already fitted, I'm not sure what would show on the screen as I already get a front and back radar image when in reverse.

2016 California 150 DSG with sat nav etc.

I always use mine.

I would miss it!

But, I am useless at parking!

I have front and back parking sensors.
Is the reversing camera really required with these already fitted, I'm not sure what would show on the screen as I already get a front and back radar image when in reverse.

2016 California 150 DSG with sat nav etc.
To be honest - No you don't need it. BUT I wouldn't be without mine.
Why ?
I use a Towbar mounted bike rack which when plugged in disables the Parking Sensors but Not the camera so as I can see through the bikes I can still use it to park without help.
I sometimes tow a small trailer - easy to hook up.
Where I park I have to reverse up a slight incline round a 90' bend with a large 2ft wide tree stump on one side, a brick wall on the other side and then through 2 brick gate posts onto the road avoiding the kerbstone on one side. None of my previous vehicles had a camera but it is so much easier with one as the parking sensors are sounding off all the time.

Last edited:
I recently rented two Calis, one with and one without. Don't NEED camera but I felt more confident when reversing. Where I live I have to reverse out on to a main road and have on occasions wished for a better view, especially on a rainy, dark night. The camera helps in these situations. Would I have it as an option? Yes.

I don't have sensors. It was not useful on my previous T5. Now I have only camera. Exelent !!! Highly recommended

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's like many things on the optionlist do i "need" it?

Those never had it say you can do perfect without....
Those have it say they would not be without it....

I am not fancy on all those options that rules out the feeling of driving a car and having things in under your own control...

A camera is just a camera , ok .
Think we all got parking sensors now a days so ......

Not absolutely necessary, but a highly valuable option for reasonable money. Hard to retro-fit I understand. Makes easy work of reversing into a car park space (with the guidelines) and for spatial awareness on a large vehicle. I would not be without it, and I have had cameras on my last 2 vehicles.

I haven't used it much for reversing yet but I find it really good for driving forwards into a space and making sure the back end is within the line. If I overhang at work I'm likely to get bumped and to be fair this is even more likely in a supermarket car park, etc. Simply pull in, brake and put it into R and you get a good clear picture of where the rear white line is.

As HC said, if you didn't have it then you wouldn't miss it but I use it everyday for this purpose now and wouldn't be without it.

We have it on ours, it I'm so used to parking with the mirrors, sensors and looking out the back I forget it's even their!?!

As with everything, it's really your own personal preference.

Our T6 is an ex demo so we didn't have the option, but would I have ticked the box if ordering new...... yes, yes I would have but that's because I'm I've the opinion the more options the higher the resale value!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Ocean we hired for the weekend had parking sensors and that's what we were going to order. We then went for a test drive in another Ocean which had the reversing camera. It's not essential, but it was a good clear image and as I'm pretty rubbish at reversing we've added it to our options list.

Not essential but we have to get our van into a very limited space in the garage, about six inches to spare back and front and the camera is great for getting it in correctly. The sensors come up red too soon.
I find they get dirty very quickly so not much use generally.

Where I live I have to reverse out on to a main road
That manoeuvre is very nearly prohibited by the Highway Code:

Rule 201
Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.

I am struggling to think of a situation where you cannot reverse into a driveway but can reverse out, but I suppose their must be some circumstance or the "if you can" would not be in the code.

That manoeuvre is very nearly prohibited by the Highway Code:

Rule 201
Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.

I am struggling to think of a situation where you cannot reverse into a driveway but can reverse out, but I suppose their must be some circumstance or the "if you can" would not be in the code.

Getting a few dirty looks from certain neighbours now our Cali is parked on the road. They don't like that they have less visibility when reversing onto the road. They've been like this with every car (even our tiny previous one) and have no sympathy for our own lack of parking despite the house being build in 1900 before cars were even the norm. I've always wondered why they don't save themselves the hassle and reverse onto their drives - proper pedantic types too - your post might be helpful in taking them on if they give me any stick :thumb

I have front and rear parking sensors on my Cali, however recently upgraded the ancient VW Sat Nav radio unit with a CarPlay unit and that supported a rear camera, so for the sake of circa £100 I had it fitted (very discreetly) and I find it useful as I often carry bikes or motorbikes on the back so makes manoeuvring a fair bit easier.
As many have said, don't need it, but it's a nice to have (particularly for the extra cost I paid).

Getting a few dirty looks from certain neighbours now our Cali is parked on the road. They don't like that they have less visibility when reversing onto the road. They've been like this with every car (even our tiny previous one) and have no sympathy for our own lack of parking despite the house being build in 1900 before cars were even the norm. I've always wondered why they don't save themselves the hassle and reverse onto their drives - proper pedantic types too - your post might be helpful in taking them on if they give me any stick :thumb
Thanks to all for pointing out the Highway Code to me - noted. The not reversing thing on to a main road is not mandatory unlike all the speed limits which of course we all obey ;);)

I try to park any vehicle so that I can drive away as quickly as possible, no reversing, no faffing, straight out. I'm only slightly paranoid. Seriously though, that advice was given to me by a firefighter friend, they try to park like that on every call out.

Reversing camera is a real advantage in a vehicle like a Cali.
Sensors can have false positives, folks walk behind you, not to mention bolloards!
The reassurance is great, but does not replace looking around all the time before and when reversing.

Reversing camera is a real advantage in a vehicle like a Cali.
Sensors can have false positives, folks walk behind you, not to mention bolloards!
The reassurance is great, but does not replace looking around all the time before and when reversing.

To OP, I agree with what @Stoneybroke said here. The camera was bought as and aid for the Mrs, but i must admit the first few times I ignored it but then it quickly becomes second nature to use. I like it as Stony mentions but also it means that you never have to park over the path and block it. You can line up the rear without using the reflections of the car to your right to judge.
Also because of the green markers there could be less chance of kerbing the wheels, and finally the insurance companies as if you have rear sensors and camera so it may help premiums.

...message ends...

I had one retrofitted as our previous van had one and I missed it on the new one. Like most options - it's not needed but very nice to have it. You can also use them to spy on people behind you or check to see if whatever your towing is still there!! Very reassuring.

I have both sensors and reversing camera on my T6 Ocean. I highly appreciate both and always use the camera when reversing as a third mirror. I frequently tow a trailer and it'd be more or less impossible to hook up the heavy trailer to the hitch without assistance without the camera. With the camera it is a breeze. The camera is good value for the money.

Last edited:
Definitely recommend. Really useful to see where your positioned in relation to the lines on a parking bay.

If you have a VW head-unit fitted with integrated reversing camera then the guidelines superimposed on the screen image react to your steering inputs - can be useful for parking and manoeuvring.

I don't believe that all aftermarket units support this feature so something to bear-in-mind if you're considering retro-fit and this feature is important to you.

I
If you have a VW head-unit fitted with integrated reversing camera then the guidelines superimposed on the screen image react to your steering inputs - can be useful for parking and manoeuvring.

I don't believe that all aftermarket units support this feature so something to bear-in-mind if you're considering retro-fit and this feature is important to you.

I don't think mine react to the steering wheel input, I'll have a check later!

Personally wouldn't be without one for both safety reasons and if it only stops you scraping the paint on the bumper once it'll have paid for itself.
Sun in your mirrors, then you may still see on the camera display.

There's a good reason for vans & HGV's having them in order to comply with Health & Safety rules.