Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do people actually cook in their van?

Just saw an article on BBC website about the (non)recyclabliity of coffee shop paper cups that I found interesting and a little bit shocking, and it reminded me of the discussion further up this thread about using disposables etc.

Gist of the article is that (in UK at least) 'paper' coffee cups are actually blend of paper/plastic and non-recyclable in practical terms. And they're not even made from recycled paper in the first place, but usually from virgin pulp.

I had been very dimly aware of that before, but it shows how the fast food companies put out lots of ambiguous green-wash that gives us a warm feeling that it's 'okay' to buy their stuff... don't worry your little consumer heads, we'll take care of the environment for you. And I've been falling for it.

Now I will try my best to take our own mugs when calling in at Costa etc when out Calivanting.

I use compostable cups, plates and glasses. These days it's not difficult to find stuff made of cellulose, bamboo or similar. 70 days and they are back in the ground. Also my bags, from general waste to portal bags are from alibi. Cheap as chips, On a convenient roll and compostable.

Good stuff. Everything disposable should be discouraged. There is little excuse for it. :D
Totally agree, hey here's a wild idea why not force manufacturers of white goods to make them last longer than they do and reverse the trend of shortening the life of white goods products, that would save plenty discarded products around the world....

We have to cook just once a day. Just carrying lots of prepared food in a fridge after that.
So just a question if we want it warmed up later on.
Was surprized how easy it is to cook outside even in bad weather. The only possible issue I see if it is a heavy rain with high winds. In most cases cooking under the rear door or awning provided superb shelter.
With secured awning it worked even in high winds with rain for us. We just park butt to the wind and add wind protection sheet on the awning.
But I admit it was a huge pleasure to use camping site kitchens in Norway. I think the only country that has such amazing campings at such fair prices. :)

We have to cook just once a day. Just carrying lots of prepared food in a fridge after that.
So just a question if we want it warmed up later on.
Was surprized how easy it is to cook outside even in bad weather. The only possible issue I see if it is a heavy rain with high winds. In most cases cooking under the rear door or awning provided superb shelter.
With secured awning it worked even in high winds with rain for us. We just park butt to the wind and add wind protection sheet on the awning.
But I admit it was a huge pleasure to use camping site kitchens in Norway. I think the only country that has such amazing campings at such fair prices. :)

Yep , we had that experience also , cooking under the awning with a small single gas burner.
And also the kitchens at campsites in Norway ( seen them in Denmark also) , realy cool you use theire facilitys ....and get to know other people cooking and eating togheter.

As the title says!

I will make the odd fry up, do a BBQ or bit of pasta but do people really do stupid big meals in their van? I really don't see the point, all the hassle of smells in the van and then the washing up, it all seems a bit pointless to me, am I alone in always making sure the campsite we are staying at is near a pub or restaurant?

At the end of the day you are on holiday, why would you want to get involved in full blown kitchen duties is beyond me.

Reason I ask is the family next to us on a campsite tonight spent about an hour prepping veg, then cooking in their van ( and using an outside stove as well) for another hour, they then had a mountain of washing up and then went to bed!

Wife and me went to pub and had a blinding meal and bottle of wine for just over £30

Another vote for pre prepared frozen delights like chilli, bolognese, stew etc etc. Frying if needed outside on either the Cadac or a single portable gas ring.

That said we still prefer breakfast in a cafe if wanting for bacon etc as spending too long preparing anything more than cereal in the morning seems to big a hurdle to getting off on a days excursion.

Pub at night is a welcomed 'holiday' from cooking everyday at home for my partner so we'll still do this as often as funds permit and our stomachs can bear (I have an intolerance to yeast, dairy and probably wheat).

The Ocean is all about max flexibility for me.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it's possible put enough options on a Beach to match an Ocean without only the hob? Not in such a neat package anyway...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just spent a month away in the Van with the wife and two kids, 3 & 5. There's no way we could afford to eat out all the time, so we cook most of the time in the van. It really is no great bother and we can cook a wide variety of meals. Being as we are away for a month, it is just a case of buying the ingredients fresh and preparing everything before cooking. I've found that if you grab an ice cold beer from the fridge it makes the whole experience more pleasurable! The VW campervan cookbook also provides some great recipe ideas for a two burner cooker. I find the whole process quite enjoyable and not a chore at all.

In the winter were also often out and about at the weekend for day trips with the kids and it's great to return to the van at the end of a walk, put the kettle on and thaw out with the parking heater on.

Just spend 4 weeks around europe, and we ate out or cooked in on a regular basis. Like Chris says, you have to be a little strategic, because room is limited – prepare every thing first. We also used both a COBB grill and a second burned for the Campinggaz Gasbottle, so we could cook inside or outside or both, depending on what was on the menu. To spare the car for the worst, we have decided not to do any frying inside, only warming and boiling (Potatoes, Rice, Eggs, Quinoa, etc). All on the pan is outside. And w also bought a toaster for the cooker … excellent gadget!

We made Steaks, Salads, Toast, Cookies, Fish, Chicken curry – you name it.

image.jpeg This device has transformed breakfast for us. No mess or effort. Toast and poach eggs both finish at same time. I was egg-static about using this on our last trip. It does boiled eggs, bacon and beans as well. Is this cheating? At least no smells in the van!

View attachment 15745 This device has transformed breakfast for us. No mess or effort. Toast and poach eggs both finish at same time. I was egg-static about using this on our last trip. It does boiled eggs, bacon and beans as well. Is this cheating? At least no smells in the van!
What is it? Maker. Model? :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still don't get this " smells in the van " thing.
If you don't cook in the van because of the smell then what the heck do you do at home - cook in the garden?

What is the difference between cooking at home and cooking in the van?
Some people seem happy carrying a chemical toilet in their kitchen cupboard but not frying some bacon on the hob.
Sorry, but I just don't get it.

I'm thinking there may be a concern that the van interior will be to an extent spoilt by cooking in it- by lingering smells and or by the upholstery being marked by food splashes. That concern might also be felt particularly because of the expense of buying the van. Which is entirely understandable I feel.

BUT we've had our van for 6 years in October, bought new, and have always cooked in it - bacon, fried eggs, curry etc etc. There is no smell left beyond a few hours. We do clean up fairly soon after cooking and we do have seat covers - I also put an additional cover over the bench seat when I expect some spatter.

Maybe some don't like the prospect of cooking in such a confined space?

As ever, each to their own

Teal Egg 'n' Toast. Bought on eBay for £32.95. It's great just to make a nice breakfast with minimum of fuss and cleaning up. You could toast muffins and do a poached egg and some 'plastic' cheese and hey presto just like a McMuffin without having to go to McDonalds!

image.jpeg

We rarely cook in our van, we normally search out a nice local pub or restaurant as we like to support local businesses especially pubs that are really struggling at the moment.

We rarely cook in our van, we normally search out a nice local pub or restaurant as we like to support local businesses especially pubs that are really struggling at the moment.

Noting against local food or restaurants but if you are on a multiple days/weeks trip i can not affort ourselfs eating out every night , and when in the midlle of nowhere ( witch are mostly the best campingspots) pubs ans resto's are hard to find.
Simple coocking is what we do , nothing fancy , basic stuff using as less gear as possible.
I am only taking a electric ketlle to use on campsites . Ovens , toasters , expressomachines, ....no way!

@WelshGas I see what you mean ;-) I can repaint my Kitchen once in a while, but I can not repaint my cali. At home I have a Hood, and tiles and stainless steel around, more easy to clean than absorbing seats in the van.

So to protect the investment a bit, we choose not to fry in the car. Thats a job for outside on the Cobb or the gas bottle.

I think you can put it down to: Some people smoke in their car … some dont.

I still don't get this " smells in the van " thing.
If you don't cook in the van because of the smell then what the heck do you do at home - cook in the garden?

What is the difference between cooking at home and cooking in the van?
Some people seem happy carrying a chemical toilet in their kitchen cupboard but not frying some bacon on the hob.
Sorry, but I just don't get it.

I suppose the confined space.....

Imagine cooking a proper Indian curry, or garlic based Lebanese grill!

( A friend would not even ler anyone who had just eaten curry or garlic based foods in the last 3 hours into his car.

I didn't realise he was right until I offered to pick up friends from Maroush in Beauchamp Place in Knightsbridge. Boy, was he right!).

At any rate, these are all non British foods, and toast and eggs, or beans on toast, should suffice for any self respecting British pallete! As Nigel F would attest, this along with a fag and pint is all that a nab needs, or should ever need!

(Lest some get their knickers in a twist, rest assured all in jest! Even The Donald has been known to partake of Mexican food, long as it is TexMex!)

Picking up an older tread.
We coock in the cali as said before but bacon and meat i usual bake outside on a small coocker.
Here the result of this evenings work
Some pasta , chickenbreast , sauce , salade
IMG_7075.JPG

Earlyer lunch looked like this , no coocking involved doh ....
Mind the carrots and cumcumber witch we brought with us are from my own garden
IMG_7065.JPG

Ridge monkey does great steaks with no splatter.
Also following Trailertrash from some time back I bought a Daewoo QT1 small microwave for use on site with hook up. Probably the best buy as I take precooked meals which can then be done in minutes. You would be surprised how much equipment you can store out of sight in the rear.

Ridge monkey does great steaks with no splatter.
Also following Trailertrash from some time back I bought a Daewoo QT1 small microwave for use on site with hook up. Probably the best buy as I take precooked meals which can then be done in minutes. You would be surprised how much equipment you can store out of sight in the rear.

Agree, RidgeMonkey is great. Omlettes, pizza, toasties,etc. Just a bit of a bugger to fit in the cupboard.

Back