Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does the alarm work when roof is up awning out?

Sorry on mine you have to de activate alarm when roof is up, found out to my cost whilst in Portugal.
A very angry and pi**** yorkshire man threatened to do me over. He did apologise the next morning

We're off for our first overnight stay, if we head off out for walk can we set the alarm using the fob if the roof is raised and awning rolled out? Or will we return to angry camping neighbours as the alarm has been activated?
Lucky you, I don't have a button! I have. A beach and have assumed that clicking twice in the remote key deactivates the internal sensors. Is that actually the case does anybody know please?

Lucky you, I don't have a button! I have. A beach and have assumed that clicking twice in the remote key deactivates the internal sensors. Is that actually the case does anybody know please?
I think that if you don't have a button, you don't have internal sensors. If you ordered a "free" rigid key, you may have been forced to forgo the internal sensors as payment. I am unsure about this but @Jonathan Duke appears to have the same issue.

You could lock someone in the car and see if they set off the internal alarm to test this out.

I always press the remote lock twice when sleeping in the van or leaving with roof up & never had alarm go off. For reassurance, I always watch the lock button in the door when pressing the remote - 1st click drops down, 2nd click jumps up a couple mm's, then I know it's armed correctly.

I'm reading this as "it does it automatically" is that correct? I'll need check to if that's the case.

..me..
I've checked mine it does not automatically turn the button yellow when I activate my pop up. Am I doing something different?

..me..

I always press the remote lock twice when sleeping in the van or leaving with roof up & never had alarm go off. For reassurance, I always watch the lock button in the door when pressing the remote - 1st click drops down, 2nd click jumps up a couple mm's, then I know it's armed correctly.
I have only ever locked the vehicle with my family inside by pressing the driver's door lock button. I understood that this locked the vehicle without dead locking the doors, and didn't arm the alarms. Can someone confirm this?

If I am right, does double clicking the remote do exactly the same thing?

What is the difference between the above and locking using the lock/unlock rocker switch?

I have only ever locked the vehicle with my family inside by pressing the driver's door lock button. I understood that this locked the vehicle without dead locking the doors, and didn't arm the alarms. Can someone confirm this?

If I am right, does double clicking the remote do exactly the same thing?

What is the difference between the above and locking using the lock/unlock rocker switch?
Correct, and double pressing the fob locks with deadlock off.

Correct, and double pressing the fob locks with deadlock off.
Hi Loz, when on a ferry and you don't Want any type of alarm because of the movement of the ship, how do you lock without the alarm of any sort please?

Last edited:
Hi Loz, when on a ferry an should don't want any type of alarm because if the movement of the ship, how do you lock without the alarm of any sort please?
I recently went on a ferry & used the 'double fob press' method without any problems... afaik

Have I missed something? When on a ferry you should switch off the movement sensors only. Deadlocks should remain on in my opinion so you use the "B" pillar button. Yes?

EDIT: 1: The double click of the fob excludes the deadlocks. 2: Only true for an Ocean.

Last edited:
Have I missed something? When on a ferry you should switch off the movement sensors only. Deadlocks should remain on in my opinion so you use the "B" pillar button. Yes?

EDIT: The double click of the fob excludes the deadlocks.
The beach doesn't have a B pillar button.

The beach doesn't have a B pillar button.
My Beach does.

My understanding is that the presence or otherwise of the B pillar button is related to the volumetric alarm, and that, in turn, is dependent on the chosen key option. If a 'free' rigid key was ordered, then the van comes without a volumetric alarm, and hence without the B pillar button.

Last edited:
My Beach does.

My understanding is that the presence or otherwise of the B pillar button is related to the volumetric alarm, and that, in turn, is dependent on the chosen key option. If a 'free' rigid key was ordered, then the van comes without a volumetric alarm, and hence without the B pillar button.
Ok, got it. The dealer didn't explain free came at a cost!

Ok, got it. The dealer didn't explain free came at a cost!
I expect that is why the rigid key is no longer an option.

We bought two chipped rigid keys - for an extortionate price - and every time we use it to open the van the alarm goes off instantly.

One key is hidden external to the vehicle, so that if, while touring, we suffer a theft or loss of both remote keys, we have a means to access the van. The second key we intend to use when we go swimming, locking the remote keys, suitably concealed, in the van.

My Beach does.

Correct, and the tilt sensor is built into the same module as the volumetric sensor. So no button, no sensors.

Hi Loz, when on a ferry and you don't Want any type of alarm because of the movement of the ship, how do you lock without the alarm of any sort please?
First question is do you have a B-pillar button? If yes, you press this then lock normally with a single press. (Double locked no sensors)

If you don't have a b-pillar button then you have no sensors, ( volumetric or tilt) and just lock the van with a single press.

On the current central locking system (much older models may vary) a double press single locks the car with all the internal handles still working which leaves the risk of a thief smashing a window and leaning in to open the door. You would only do this for example when paying for fuel or deliberately locking a person in the car so they can let themselves out. Persons left in the car still have the option of pressing the internal lock button, but might struggle to reach it.

So does the double press on the fob keep the internal sensors on then? Don't understand the logic of that - if you need the doors available to be opened by someone on the inside why would you want the sensors on? What I'm getting at is why the need for the B pillar switch *and* the fob with the double press. My logic would think the double press would also disable the sensors, and hence make the B pillar switch unnecessary.

Hope I'm making sense! New owner and not been in a situation yet where I'd be happy to start experimenting with the alarms....:rage

(Edit) - perhaps the double fob press does deactivate the internal sensors when it locks without deadlocking. But if you want the sensors off but deadlock/Safelock on, is that when you must press the B pillar switch in conjunction with a single fob press???

Last edited:
Copied from ?teeboy post in a previous thread:-

There are two things at play here:
  • Disabling the motion sensors - so if there is movement in the van the alarm doesn't sound
  • Disabling the deadlock, so you can get out of the van without the keys (with the deadlock enabled if you lock the doors with the key, and you put the keys down to go to sleep, and something catches fire then you will need to find the keys in a hurry to get out - without deadlock you just need to pull the door handles twice to get out)

If the B pillar button is showing RED then:
  • Fob button x 1 Central locking ON, Deadlock ON, Alarm ON, Motion sensor ON
  • Fob Button x 2 Central locking ON, Deadlock OFF, Alarm ON, Motion sensor ON
  • Inside button on drivers door Central locking ON, Deadlock OFF, Alarm OFF, OFF
If the B pillar button is showing Amber then:
  • Fob button x 1 Central locking ON, Deadlock ON, Alarm ON, Motion sensor /anti-tow OFF
  • Fob Button x 2 Central locking ON, Deadlock OFF, Alarm ON, Motion sensor/anti-tow OFF
  • Inside button on drivers door Central locking ON, Deadlock OFF, Alarm OFF, Motion sensor/anti-tow OFF
So the procedure if you are sleeping in the van, is to press the Inside button on the drivers door, as this will lock the doors (but not dead lock - so you can get out in an emergency without the keys).

If you are leaving the van with a dog in the van then. Make sure the B pillar button is amber and press the fob button once or twice.

If you are leaving a person in the van (who you want to be able to get out in an emergency then Make sure the B pillar button is amber and press the fob button twice.

If you are leaving nothing in the van, and the roof is not up and you are not on a ferry, or in an earthquake zone then Make sure the B pillar button is redand press the fob button once. This will be maximum security!

If you do not have a B pillar button, then I think the procedure is:
  • Fob Button x 2 Central locking ON, Deadlock OFF, Alarm ON, Motion sensor OFF

If the B pillar button is showing RED then:
  • Fob Button x 2 Central locking ON, Deadlock OFF, Alarm ON, Motion sensor ON
  • Inside button on drivers door Central locking ON, Deadlock OFF, Alarm OFF, OFF

Yes I've seen that. But to me having the deadlock off (mainly so anyone inside can get out easily) doesn't make sense if the motion sensor is on 'cos they'll be setting off the alarm. Assuming by Motion sensor is meant the internal volumetric sensor and not the towing or lifting sensors....? All a bit confusing but eventually I'll just get in the van and check it all out

We had last night our first night in our T5 California. Unfortunately when going to bed in the evening, the interior alarm was activated repeatedly with a lot of noise of course .
We had a hard time finding how to deactivate the interior alarm. Our neighbors on the camp site were disturbed for about half an hour.
It appeared the manual was not correct about the procedure how to deactivate: it should be done with the driver door opened in stead of any door opened, for the button to color yellow in stead of red.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

That's great, thank you - I'm not disputing it! Just looking for reassurance. I think if we were even going out for the day in a windy place (eg the various windy islands we seem to keep visiting) I'd wind it back in, but otherwise it would be good to be able to leave it. The idea of winding it in a bit is useful too.

I'm thinking of getting side and front panels (or making them) for it, which would presumably add to the stability.
Debateable on sides being better for wind tolerance than just the top.
I've seen complete caravan awnings flipped over the caravan top. despite being well secured.
With just the top out the wind can pass under/over.
With sides you'd have the vertical wall block which would take the full wind force and need far more securing with in this instance having a weak point at the top. As the sides blow in they pull the top down loosening top mounted straps.
My view (only a view) would be to take much more care with a sided awning when wind forecast than would the case with just the top. Never underestimate how powerful even a small gust can be.