Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Taking a Dog to South of France

Anage

Anage

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
HI,
I know this has been asked before but I am thinking of travelling to france for two weeks start of August. I am going solo albeit possibly with my cocker spaniel. I am wondering what best to do, is it going to be to hot and restrictive taking my companion with me or should I just make sure I am prepared.
I have no firm plans as to how far south I want to go but am just curious if anyone else would consider the trip in the height of summer with a dog.
Cheers
ana

HI,
I know this has been asked before but I am thinking of travelling to france for two weeks start of August. I am going solo albeit possibly with my cocker spaniel. I am wondering what best to do, is it going to be to hot and restrictive taking my companion with me or should I just make sure I am prepared.
I have no firm plans as to how far south I want to go but am just curious if anyone else would consider the trip in the height of summer with a dog.
Cheers
ana
We're about to leave for our fourth trip to Europe with our black lab. He has been no problem whatsoever. We take a cooling gel base for his bed and ensure that all sites we stay at are next to rivers/lakes/beaches which allow dogs to swim. Travel is totally comfortable because the aircon is superb. Just keep an eye on the weather forecasts and adjust your journey accordingly. That's the beauty of the Cali.

Zeb has been to Italy and Spain in 38 degree heat. Just use your common sense and your be fine, pitch in the shade, use your air con when driving, loads of water, and zeb gets sun cream on his nose too.
Your regret it if you don't take them!

Ana you will need to act quickly to get rabies jab for pet passport - 21 days minimum pre-travel. (Sorry if you already knew that.)

Our cocker is coming to France with us in a couple of weeks.

Our cocker spaniel has been with us in the south of Spain in 40 degrees recently. Although he was born near Jerez so ought to be used to it, he doesn't really enjoy the heat. Just to add to the advice above, there can be a long period between say 10.30 am and 7.30 pm when it is just too hot for anything other than a short walk, so we find it best to get the decent walks in very early/late. He also seems to need more ventilation than we do at night when sleeping in the van. The occasional sprinkling of water on his back helps. He sports an un-spanielesque coat during the hot season.

jasper.png

We took our Irish Terrier to the Dordogne a couple of weeks ago when it was c37 degrees for a week solid. We won't take her again except at times where we can be much more confident of avoiding high temperatures. We took the precautions others advise here, including a haircut before traveling! We've arrived at this conclusion because it was awful to see her flopped out at every opportunity from dawn till dusk, when we know her natural behavior is to bounce about, wanting to play. She was pretty miserable. If she could choose, we have no doubt that she would rather be with my son in Cumbria, or at worst, in kennels, where we know from past experience, she is happy. I think we are as attached as others to our dog, we certainly miss her a lot when she's not around, but we'll bear that knowing we are looking after her. Or we'll go with her when it's not so hot.

I just thought it was worth posting our view here. I appreciate that there are other views -as above.

We took our Irish Terrier to the Dordogne a couple of weeks ago when it was c37 degrees for a week solid. We won't take her again except at times where we can be much more confident of avoiding high temperatures. We took the precautions others advise here, including a haircut before traveling! We've arrived at this conclusion because it was awful to see her flopped out at every opportunity from dawn till dusk, when we know her natural behavior is to bounce about, wanting to play. She was pretty miserable. If she could choose, we have no doubt that she would rather be with my son in Cumbria, or at worst, in kennels, where we know from past experience, she is happy. I think we are as attached as others to our dog, we certainly miss her a lot when she's not around, but we'll bear that knowing we are looking after her. Or we'll go with her when it's not so hot.

I just thought it was worth posting our view here. I appreciate that there are other views -as above.

Totally agree, we were also in the Dordogne last year with similar temperatures as Ian and it is not fair on the dogs at all as during daylight hours all they will just to do is lie in the shade trying to keep cool. It is not only uncomfortable for the dogs it can also be life threatening (look up heatstroke in dogs)

We would never take a holiday without our dogs so we now plan to go to the hot areas out of season and when we go away in summer we will stay further North.

Also just to point out it will end up ruining your holiday also as you will not be able to do the things you want to do during the day time.

As Ian has said, this is just our view, it is also the same advice from our vet.

HI,
I know this has been asked before but I am thinking of travelling to france for two weeks start of August. I am going solo albeit possibly with my cocker spaniel./QUOTE]

Spain is the ancestral home of spaniels, so your dog should feel quite close to home in Southern France.

We are travelling extensively with two border collies. We do find it a little restrictive, especially in towns and cities where we don't want to leave them in the car for more than two hours. But our biggest problem you won't face: Norway's draconian leash laws which state that dogs must be tethered or securely enclosed in any place (private or public) where the public has access, unless a municipal dog running area. In Norway the public (on foot) has the right of access to any unfenced uncultivated land, including places like private driveways. Private gated meadows used for dog running, unless municipal for that purpose, need to be kept locked.

In practise, most Norwegian dog owners treat the leash laws like most British car owners treat speed laws - as guidance only, but it has been hard for us to gauge what is and what isn't acceptable.

Follow my blog at www.au-revoir.eu

HI,
Cheers
ana
My dog Hugo spends nearby half his time in the South of France. He's a German Shepard Collie Cross , about 30 kilos with longish black hair . He copes well / ok as long as there is a cool place to retreat to in the height of summer , he lies to lie on cold tiles or be in an AC room ...and lots of water to drink . We walk early around 8km before it gets hot and he goes out every evening to play . Heat is one thing but what you absolutely must take care of now in the south of France , in fact all of the Mediterranean countries, is that the dog is fully protected against Leishmaniasis http://www.vet4life.co.uk/leishmaniasis/ . If you don't get the vaccination then at least use a Scalibor collar , frontline or Advantix alone is not enough. This disease is present from Spring to Late Autumn ..many UK people are not aware of it . I know a lot of French people whose dogs are ill or have died of this .

IMG_0044.JPG

+1 for leaving at home in anything over 25 degrees. Dogs do not climatise the same way humans do, also heatstroke in a dog is a killer.

We have just returned from four weeks in Portugal and some 40degree days and Oscar loves being with us. He finds a shady spot when we arrive and he's fine. He does rest quite a lot unless we are out and about. IMG_3610.JPG

Thanks Niborn .
Have had a discussion with our vet this morning about leishmaniasis & general tick/worm cover. We have pet passports & have travelled to France before. Know about getting wormed before return to UK. We use bravecto for tick cover.

Vaccination against leishmaniasis can only reduce chance of developing/catching the disease . After discussion with vet , will use scalibor collars,avoid beach areas at dusk &use plug in mosquito repellent at night in the Cali.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Niborn .
Have had a discussion with our vet this morning about leishmaniasis & general tick/worm cover. We have pet passports & have travelled to France before. Know about getting wormed before return to UK. We use bravecto for tick cover.

Vaccination against leishmaniasis can only reduce chance of developing/catching the disease . After discussion with vet , will use scalibor collars,avoid beach areas at dusk &use plug in mosquito repellent at night in the Cali.
[/QUOTE]

Oh good that you will get the Scalibor collar , suggest you take it out the packet first before using it and wipe it down with a tissue and then let it stand for a few days , say 3 , before putting it in . The greatly rides the risk of any reaction . Ive seen research that the combination of vaccination and the Scalibor collar reduces the chances to more or less zero but the vaccination routine, 3 in the first year perfectly timed in between and boosters , makes it difficult and costly , so it's a good practical plan they suggest . The sandfly is predominantly in fact around in wooded areas less than 600m high , probably by the beach too? But its not really got anything to do with sand . It's been described to be like a small mosquito, mostly out at dusk and dawn .

If you come by department 30 , GARD , do drop by :) we are here now for a few months ....

We aren't in France at the moment with Max our border terrier. Beaches are very difficult in France. He's a useful beach guide www.plages.tv/chiens with an interactive map. The locals will take a dog on a beach before ten am but we met an English couple that tried the same and were fined.

We used a Scalibor collar and did the leishmaniasis jabs. Pet passport etc and have used an English speaking vet to give the worming tablet for the return.

Max happy and chilled in the shade. We hired a pet trailer on Ils de Re to take him out with us on cycle rides and he loved it.

This is our first trip with him abroad and depending on our itinerary another time, I would find a way to leave him at home. We were led to believe he could go on the beaches researching no stuff at home but in reality it's a no go. Had to change itinerary which has been ok ish.

It's really ok with a dog in France , we go almost everywhere with Hugo , just not food shops , but every restaurant it's normally ok , even in the pharmacies . Yes the beaches can be a problem , I'd vote for the lakes and rivers as a destination in the mountains . Yesterday we had a wonderful picnic on top of a mountain , it was 27c with a lovely breeze , Hugo had a great time too playing ball and exploring and smelling everything ....

DSC_2763.JPG

IMG-20170714-WA0013.JPG