Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Door not locking

A

Anonymous

Guest User
Can anyone shed some light on a problem i have, my side sliding door is not closing as i can not hear the motor that pulls the door into itsfinal locking place. the dash board light stays on and the interior light is on. Thanks Warren Lowe

Try gently cleaning the brass contacts that are visable when the door is open :idea:

We had this on one of our California's. SMG fixed it under warranty, and I'm sure it was the ecu for the motor, ask Alex.

It was the door control unit behind the offside rear trim panel.

Ah! Is that what we have to stab to death to stop the beeping...?
But seriously... If there is a sensible way to turn it off I for one would love to know!

I don't think Warren's problem is with an auto door it reads like it's the power latch on the standard door that is not working :?

Warren :?:

The door control unit that went wrong on BMVS' vehicle that we fixed was for a non-electric door with power latching and the power latching had failed.

cheers

Is there anyone else on the forum since Warren's post in 2011 who has had the power latching stop working on a non-electric sliding door? We picked up our Cali a couple of months ago and after using it quite a bit since the power latching suddenly stopped working over the weekend for no apparent reason. It can still be driven, but the Status display shows the sliding door open and there is a small (5-6mm) gap between the door and body work at the back. The 3 contacts that are on the front edge of the door and driver side pillar are all very clean, but there is none of the usual electrical whirring noise that you get when the power latching is working normally. I'm going to give SMG Cowfold a call tomorrow to see if they can take look under the warranty.

Last edited:
http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/sliding-door-closure-problem.9173/#post-88802
See this thread, tea&cake, it sounds like the same issue. If you slam it really hard, it should shut and then, if it is the same thing, the power latching should work again straight away.

Hope this helps,
Maud
Thanks Maud
http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/sliding-door-closure-problem.9173/#post-88802
See this thread, tea&cake, it sounds like the same issue. If you slam it really hard, it should shut and then, if it is the same thing, the power latching should work again straight away.

Hope this helps,
Maud
Thanks Maud, I hadn't seen that thread before and I'm grateful to you for sending me the link. I've since tried closing the sliding door a good few times this evening without any success and so I'm going to leave it for now. The 3 spring loaded contacts on the door and those in the door pillar all look very clean, but I'll take another look tomorrow in the light and when it stops raining to see if they need a wipe over then take it from there.

I've still got the problem with mine, happens about once a day then goes OK after I slam it shut. No point in taking it in at the moment because it won't do it for the dealer. It's not the brass contacts.

'
I've still got the problem with mine, happens about once a day then goes OK after I slam it shut. No point in taking it in at the moment because it won't do it for the dealer. It's not the brass contacts.
Just a quick update on the power latching problem I had over the weekend with my sliding door. I first checked the fuse after speaking to Jason at SMG Cowfold earlier this morning and that was all fine (top board 8th in from the left - 20 amp) then I gave VW Assist a call. Great service as they were with me within a couple of hours. The door initially behaved in the same way for the VW technician as it did for me with no power latching. That was until he turned the ignition on and tried the door again, which then worked perfectly. He checked everything else on his diagnostic computer and there were no faults recorded, which suggests that the system may have been temporarily confused. Turning on the ignition and closing the door seemed to do the trick and get it back to normal operation. I guess it may have been like doing a 'Control-Alt-Delete' on your computer or switching a DVR off and on again when it freezes. Worth remembering in future should it do it again. Not sure if this will help others, but would be interested to know.

Thanks for posting that, I'll try that on mine next time it misbehaves!

Just had the same problem. Only a week old too, and not yet been away in it:headbang
Anyway, tried the ignition switch/start engine "re-boot" - NO CHANGE:headbang
Gave it a good slam, pushing from the rear of the door and the door at least closed properly. On opening it again, there was the familiar noise of the latching mechanism and it now works again OK.:thumb
No dirt on the contacts, so it's anyone's guess as to what happened. We'll see if it repeats.....

Had mine do the same again just recently whilst away in the Brecon Beacons for a walking holiday - I thought it might have been the heavy rain this time, but am quickly coming to the conclusion it's just about the way you close it. I think you just need to be a bit more purposeful when you use the sliding door and not try to shut it quietly as we have been doing so as not to wake the wildlife. I've also begun to shut it without thinking about what the power latching is supposed to do and so perhaps I'm now applying a bit more momentum than when it was first new. I tried the ignition on/off again this time, which seemed that to do the trick the last time, but with no luck. Instead, I left it overnight and gave it a good close in the morning. It then started working again.

It's still mucking about every other time. I've found that closing it quite hard to overcome the power closing does at least shut it properly, then on opening again it does use the power to assist.
Will bring this up with the other snags and see what is offered as a fix. Other problems so far are leaking side windows and headlights adjusted to shoot down night bombers.

We had the same problem.
A good slam of the door sorted it. Well for now anyway!

have just experienced this problem. had left the van parked for a couple of days. my wife opened the side door and did not notice the motor kicking in. same again when she closed the door. i have tried the door and same again did ntoheac the motor kick in . turned on the engine and tried again and all worked fine. waited a few minutes had another go with engine off and same again the door played up. will try to get this looked at under warranty