Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Draining water tank - is this normal

Jolberg

Jolberg

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all.
Relatively new as a Cali owner (6months) and I’ve always found the way the clean water tank drains a bit odd as the water seems to flow from many places (unlike the dirty water tank which has a single discharge point).
See attached video of my clean water tank draining. Is this normal?
Thanks
Jol

Thanks very much.
It's just that the Fresh Water Drain is protected by emptying above the underbody Protective covers so drains out anywhere depending on how the vehicle stands on the ground whereas the Waste Water needs to drain at a specific point into a drain of some sort. After all Fresh Water is just that water, Waste Water could be anything from fresh to decidedly smelly.

How do you clean your water pipes and is the water okay to drink ?

How do you clean your water pipes and is the water okay to drink ?
You'll get all the answers in the world from DO NOT DRINK the water as you will die, to the exact opposite.
I use the Water Tank for all my drinking water. It is cleaned annually with a solution of Milton and I use Katadyne when filling away from home. See Forum Shop for info on Katadyne.

You'll get all the answers in the world from DO NOT DRINK the water as you will die, to the exact opposite.
I use the Water Tank for all my drinking water. It is cleaned annually with a solution of Milton and I use Katadyne when filling away from home. See Forum Shop for info on Katadyne.
Thank you so much going to have a look now

I have tought about putting some sort of funnel under the fresh water outlet with it's tip stuck in the hole in the protective plastic underneath, but haven't had the "time" to do it (in 9 years...).

I have tought about putting some sort of funnel under the fresh water outlet with it's tip stuck in the hole in the protective plastic underneath, but haven't had the "time" to do it (in 9 years...).
The only thing that you could do is add a funnel underneath it with a pipe
connected.

The fresh water outlet is combined with the gas bottle ventilation
so that's why it p1sses out all over.
images-25.jpeg

I agree and disagree. I drink mine and I don't put sod all in it. No Milton. No sterilising. Nothing. We are all still alive. Even the dog drinks out of it. But he hates coffe

We've yet to have anyone that's been killed by not sterilising post on here about it, so it must be safe:Grin

If you can be bothered, it drains better if you take the filler cap off. Imo the water is fine to drink as long as it’s fresh and you keep the tank clean by emptying it after a trip to prevent stagnation.

Did that on my cali years ago when I bought it. Works well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If you can be bothered, it drains better if you take the filler cap off. Imo the water is fine to drink as long as it’s fresh and you keep the tank clean by emptying it after a trip to prevent stagnation.
Agree. Empty after each trip with the filler cap off. Don’t drain by running the tap as it leaves the pump dry. I use Puriclean, available at Halfords (and others ) in 100g tubs for £5 ish. Use this once a year. A 100g tub should last 3 years. No taste in water and not dead yet!

I always drain my fresh tank by turning on the tap and draining it via the sink then the waste tank (which I open up to drain, of course!). That way, the waste pipes and tank get a bit of a flush through with clean water. Far less hassle.

Did that on my cali years ago when I bought it. Works well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I'm another who ended up with fitting a funnel, this is my option, fastened to the plastic underbody with hot glue and using an existing hole for the outlet.
The funnel was like this one and the handle was cut off so it fitted against the underbody, and then a few bits of surplus push-fit overflow pipe fittings
PIC_20190629_104304.JPGPIC_20190629_130430.JPG

I'm another who ended up with fitting a funnel, this is my option, fastened to the plastic underbody with hot glue and using an existing hole for the outlet.
The funnel was like this one and the handle was cut off so it fitted against the underbody, and then a few bits of surplus push-fit overflow pipe fittings
View attachment 50704View attachment 50706
I think this is too hard for VW to accomplish.

I flushed my fresh water tank for the first time this weekend and the result was not pleasing at all. Water overflowing everywhere and submerging the tow electric socket !! I will definitely install a funnel ASAP! I am very surprised this is normal.

IMG_20190921_131249.jpg

Last edited:
I flushed my fresh water tank for the first time this weekend and the result was not pleasing at all. Water overflowing everywhere and submerging the tow electric socket !! I will definitely install a funnel ASAP! I am very surprised this is normal.

View attachment 50743
Why? It's only fresh water and will do the towing electrics no harm as they are waterproof. Also, if you turn the vehicle round you won't have that problem. It would be a lot worse driving on a wet road.

View attachment 50743
Especially when you are parked with the right side downwards, the water will flow everywhere.
If parked left downwards, it stays left, and will just flow everywhere, but then on the left.

View attachment 50704View attachment 50706
I can't figure out where your funnel is fitted. Did you remove panels etc?

Why? It's only fresh water and will do the towing electrics no harm as they are waterproof. Also, if you turn the vehicle round you won't have that problem. It would be a lot worse driving on a wet road.
You are right! Thanks for your comment.

I can't figure out where your funnel is fitted. Did you remove panels etc?
When you take off the left backplate, under the water/gas tank (where the little hole is in) you will see the water outlet. Put that funnel in the hole in the removed plate. Put the plate back in place: voila! Nice waterflow. Just make sure the funnel is wide enough on top and quite close to the water outlet.

Back