Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Driven away with the mains plug in, new plug in but no power

DavidofHook

DavidofHook

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi Folks,
Just done a really stupid thing. We go away on Wednesday am so, according to instructions I plugged the van in. I then went down to the garden shop and forgot that I was plugged in. On return saw the cable trailing over the kerb and I still had the plug sticking out of the van.
Plugged in with a new cable but no power just battery. I have changed all the plugs and cables so the fault lies in the van. I have also checked that the power switches in he back cupboard are on but still no power.
Any ideas please, feeling slightly desperate (and stupid)

Fuses are hard to determine , depending on build date .
Lay out in the downloadsection
Under the left seat probally
Thing you also need to count in is possibly damage to the socket in the Cali .
Does the plug is pushed all the way in ?

Fuses are hard to determine , depending on build date .
Lay out in the downloadsection
Under the left seat probally
Thing you also need to count in is possibly damage to the socket in the Cali .
Does the plug is pushed all the way in ?
It seems to be ok, I’m going to take the socket out and have a look. The switch fuse clicks which suggests that there is power getting to it from the van socket

It seems to be ok, I’m going to take the socket out and have a look. The switch fuse clicks which suggests that there is power getting to it from the van socket
If your breaker goes off when pushing the test button in the rear warderobe i guess there's power going in.
Then you need to go to the next step , the charger and inverter

If your breaker goes off when pushing the test button in the rear warderobe i guess there's power going in.
Thanks Wim. The socket is ok, had it out & looks fine. The breaker clicks so, I had thought that it must be a fuse issue. I can see the fuses under the l. hand seat. I was going to downloads to see if any info there.
I had not considered the charger or inverter. But if it was the charger maybe it is just the fuse anyway?

Thanks Wim. The socket is ok, had it out & looks fine. The breaker clicks so, I had thought that it must be a fuse issue. I can see the fuses under the l. hand seat. I was going to downloads to see if any info there.
I had not considered the charger or inverter. But if it was the charger maybe it is just the fuse anyway?
Wim, as soon as we start talking about Chargers etc it is way above my pay grade. Not sure what we are talking about.

There's a battery charger that charges all three bats when on hook-up
There's an inverter that turns 220v to 12v , the plug on the righthand of the kitchen.
Does the 220v plug on the kitchen has power ?
Have you reset the controlpanel ? Might be it got a error due the shortcircuit of the hook-up cable ?
If you start the engine does the symbol changes from a battery to G ?

Hello Wim,
Panic over. I had overlooked the fuse board in the garage which has a 5 and a 25 amp fuse. Either or both have blown. The fused UK 13 amp plug had not blown which is interesting.
Van is now plugged into the house and is charging well,
So many thanks for your help, we will be on the road on Wednesday

Your van should ‘ping’ when you turn the ignition on if you have it plugged into a live power socket.

It does not ‘ping’ if the power is not on.

If you didn’t get a ‘ping’ when you should have, then you may like to get the van checked by a dealer.

Many folk put a deliberate sign on the steering wheel as an additional reminder.

Alan

David, Glad it was sorted close shave.
Perhaps you should change your forum name to David un Hook.

@Meoncoast , i was thinking about that also yesterday when i first read his post but was thinking he may not find it that funny ....but hey ....you live you learn .
He won't be dooing this a second time!

If you didn’t get a ‘ping’ when you should have, then you may like to get the van checked by a dealer.

If the fuse was blown in the garage then there was no power on and you would get no ping.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

If the fuse was blown in the garage then there was no power on and you would get no ping.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

True, although I was thinking the fuse blew when when David drove off. It could well have blown before that though and then, as you say, no 'ping' and trailing cable.

Alan

Just a tip for DIYers, when investigating an electric fault it often pays to start at the mains source and work forwards checking and eliminating every connection rather than further down the circuit when it could have branched off various ways. David, depending on what type of consumer unit you have, this could have tripped your whole house off, which would have given you a big clue as to why it wasn't charging.:thumb

Just a tip for DIYers, when investigating an electric fault it often pays to start at the mains source and work forwards checking and eliminating every connection rather than further down the circuit when it could have branched off various ways. David, depending on what type of consumer unit you have, this could have tripped your whole house off, which would have given you a big clue as to why it wasn't charging.:thumb
You are right. I eventually traced it past the garage and to the new consumer box in the house which had tripped the garage connection.
As far as warnings go we do normally put a sticky on the dash which would have done the trick but I was in a rush that morning and even if it had pinged I just didn't hear it. More haste less speed! (Before someone else says it)
I will give some thought to a re naming Meon but probably not!
It was good though to get help almost immediately from Wim, this is an amazing website/club

Your van should ‘ping’ when you turn the ignition on if you have it plugged into a live power socket.

Many folk put a deliberate sign on the steering wheel as an additional reminder.

Alan
I just put the bag over the wheel whenever on hookup. Worked for me so far :)

Glad to hear no harm done :)

I just put the bag over the wheel whenever on hookup. Worked for me so far :)

Glad to hear no harm done :)
I have tried that Matt but she won't do it........ agh! should I have said that? Fortunately she doesn't read this stuff !!

Back