Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Northern spain

No idea - you could run it through a machine translator like DeepL, not sure if they have a word limit though
Thanks anyway. I will run sections of it through Google Translate.

Here you go in English

Attachments

• DGT_Instruccion_08-V-74_Autocaravanas_2076(1).pdf
    468.2 KB · Views: 35
Wouldn't want to discuss the finer points of law with a Spanish policeman / women. Over the years I have heard terrible reports of them fitting up people (some first hand) and fining them / removing their cash ... I think if they told me to move on, regardless of whether i was technically camping or not, I would swiftly move on.

Here you go in English
Many thanks, muuch appreciated. I managed to translate some bits and get more info about legal and illegal signs re camping and parking.

Kind Regards

Many thanks, muuch appreciated. I managed to translate some bits and get more info about legal and illegal signs re camping and parking.

Kind Regards
We have lived here in Spain since 2016. We travel all around Spain in our camper and to date have not had a problem parking for the night. Once, we parked right outside a local police station in a small village for the night and other than the odd police vehicle coming and going had a peaceful night.
Just don't put the roof up (we do use the planner heater at night if needed) and leave no signs you have been there.

Nice thread.
Planning trip from home Herault, France via Santander to UK Bristol end of December !
Planning to spend 4 or 5 days in Euskadi
I know the weather is not going to be the best but thinking should we stay close to coast and do the tour of Pamplona, Vittoria for when weather slightly warmer ?
We have the GUIA FECC Estacinamientos de Autocaravanas which lists alot of Park for the Night places
2 questions will they be open and will they be busy ??
Also any recommendations of unmissables between San sebatian and Santander
Forget Bilbao is way from coast and looks like some lovely stop by coast Bermeo ?
Thanks anyway in advance for your time
Happy camping

Nice thread.
Planning trip from home Herault, France via Santander to UK Bristol end of December !
I know the weather is not going to be the best but thinking should we stay close to coast and do the tour of Pamplona, Vittoria for when weather slightly warmer ?
We have the GUIA FECC Estacinamientos de Autocaravanas which lists alot of Park for the Night places
Forget Bilbao is way from coast and looks like some lovely stop by coast Bermeo ?
Happy camping
Pamplona is a lovely city. Pity you can't overshoot Santander and follow the coastline for a bit towards Portugal. It is stunning. Logrono is a worthwhile place to visit. The historic town is lovely. Tapas and Rioja! It has some great restaurants. Whilst none of us intentionally speed. Be aware that The Basque region is littered with speed cameras.

Pamplona is a lovely city. Pity you can't overshoot Santander and follow the coastline for a bit towards Portugal. It is stunning. Logrono is a worthwhile place to visit. The historic town is lovely. Tapas and Rioja! It has some great restaurants. Whilst none of us intentionally speed. Be aware that The Basque region is littered with speed cameras.
Thanks Seb ... Defenitly on the list to drive all the way to Portugal but not this trip ... And will add Logrono to list of next visit What an area Tapas and rioja Paradise

Just sharing our inspiration map - see sheet "N. Spanje"

Attachments

• Roadbook_Spanje(Bask-Cata)(2023).xlsx
    102.1 KB · Views: 19
Nice thread.
Happy camping
The weather north and south of the Cantabria mountain varies immensely.

North is much much colder in the summer, 21°-26°. South is nearer 40°

That whole range that extends along the north acts as a weather curtain.

Hope this helps.

I agree that Logroño is great, the pinxtos are easily as good as famed San Sebastián. Whilst you are in the region pop into LaGuardia , an old town on the hill. Lots of small, good wine producers, great views. 13km ish away from the main town.

We did the castle at Olite, that was pretty impressive for an afternoon

Pamplona has a great historical city centre, worth a pop in, but it is a huge city.

If you are going that far, it doesn’t sound like you are, Salamanca is the. ’Oxford university’ of Spain. Stunning.

Last edited:
in Spain is legal to sleep on your car. Except national parks and right in front of the beach.
You cannot put your chairs and table and live your life outside (this is considered camping and its illegal)
That being said…have some common sense and you will be fine! I’ve spend many summer in the north of Spain without going to any campsite and i never got any fine.
North Spain is great and the closest you go to Galicia the better it gets.

I might be biased about Spain. However you can't really go wrong in Spain. Travelling around Spain (and France) is just amazing.

Good call by Luthier about Salamanca. It is a stunning city. We have stayed in the Parador in Olite-lovely.

I have never been to Guernica. Obviously of historical interest because of some ery sad events. Is it worth visiting in it's own right?

I might be biased about Spain. However you can't really go wrong in Spain. Travelling around Spain (and France) is just amazing.

Good call by Luthier about Salamanca. It is a stunning city. We have stayed in the Parador in Olite-lovely.

I have never been to Guernica. Obviously of historical interest because of some ery sad events. Is it worth visiting in it's own right?
We enjoyed a couple of hours in Guernica, nibbling at some lovely pinxtos for lunch and taking our time to meander around - a nice little town.

Last edited:

Yep France and Spain dream for vaning Not made to Portugal yet
I love Asturias People are Soo friendly

Yep France and Spain dream for vaning Not made to Portugal yet
I love Asturias People are Soo friendly
I did learn something in Portugal. I speak French and Spanish. Don't try and speak Spanish . The Portuguese really do not like that .

We were in this beautiful region this summer. I wouldn't forget Bilbao: beautiful city with lots to do. San Sebastian: eat delicious pincho's in the old center and enjoy the walk on the dike along the beach. Hondarribia is nice but not quite on your route. In Pamplona you have café Iruña with its beautiful interior and where at the back on the right through the door there is a part of the café where Hemmingway spent a lot of time. There's a statue of him there at the bar. Check it out. We then followed the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage route with our cali to Cabo Finisterre and returned along the coast to Santander, among others. Very beautiful region, highly recommended. Gaztelugatxe: just look it up: quite a hike but definitely worth it. Gernika: the atrocity that happened there should not be forgotten; visit the Case de Juntas with its stained glass window roof. https://jjggbizkaia.eus/en/seats/gernika-assembly-hall.
Another tip: the bodega in Elciego to drink a glass of Marqués de Riscal with a snack (in the winery). You can visit the bar in the hotel, but ask in the shop because 'there must be room' (fairly exclusive there, but this way you can see the hotel up close and even inside). https://www.marquesderiscal.com/en?fbclid=
Have fun!
AOFW5848.JPG

Last edited:
Hi all , we are heading back to France this year via Spain . We’ve done the Bilbao ferry before then up via biarritz , Lacanau etc then home via Amsterdam. This year we would like to try the Santander ferry and spend a bit of time around there and possibly towards Portugal then back on ourselves via Lacanau etc then home . Does anybody have any experience of this part of northern Spain in particular any aires that you have used or campsites near the beach with nice town/good surf vibe ( like Lacanau essentially) oh and I don’t suppose anybody has access to any discount codes for Brittany ferries
Hi, my wife and I went this year in our new Cali for 6weeks (long been retired so we can go out of season for long vacations!) at the end of last March using Brittany Ferries on the Pont Aven to Santander. Took our time through central Spain, fab' quiet roads and without a single toll charge! Crossed into Portugal at Badajoz and travelled down to the Algarve.
The only downside we encountered was the two week Easter holiday time which we hadn't accounted for. It was busy, busy , busy everywhere. Most sites were jam-packed and the pitches there are generally very compact which means you get really close to neighbours, often too close.
We had great weather for four weeks in Portugal then made our way north to Northern Spain. The coastal border area around Viana do Castello we thought was superb. Then up we went via the Picos. Spectacular scenery but the weather was poor, wet, cloudy and rather cool and unfortunately rather like being back home!
But we learnt a lot from our adventure and have already booked our return..............in March again but have pre-booked a great site over Easter this time near Lagos on the Algarve. Good well screened pitches and very nice facilities. We may not venture to Northern Spain as early as we did this year. It's all down to having plunged for a CALI ! It's not a bad life is it......

Superb this Spreadsheet ..very informative
Interesting about Klien Photomuseum and the overnight campings

Guernica is a small interesting place there is a park with a Henry Moore statue and a replica in tiles of the famous Guernica painting. Yes go and see .

We did this roadtrip:
View attachment 88539

We first started around the Lisboa region and made our way up to Spain.
Surf vibes, you will definitely find in Ericeira (PT) if you like to drive that far. A really good surf and a nice skatepark Hollyskate (a must for my kids). We stayed at Ericeira Camping.
View attachment 88544Viano do Castello is also amazing for surfing and nice vibes. View attachment 88543

I mostly liked Gallicia, the noth-western part of Spain, it was soo beautifull and we'll 100% go back for a longer period!
View attachment 88540
This was in Muros. We found a lot of nice and quiet campspots that were not that expensive.
The moment you go more inwards into the land, the prices are very cheap!

Also very nice was the region Picos de Europa, we stayed in Colunga (nice Dinosaur museum for the kids).
View attachment 88542
The caption in the picture says it all :)

I think I'll make post in the Travel section.

Greetz,
Humby
Hey Humby, sinds vorig jaar ook een T6.1 hier,.. nu plan ik een reis naar spanje maand mei.. noord spanje, ziet er idd erg mooi uit. Zou wel graag jouw ervaring horen, gr Geert&Fon