Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Driving in the crisis

Something about a 5 cylinder - I loved the sound of my Volvo V70 D5
Agreed...although TR6 and a 323i were the most fun. I love the efficiency of my T5.1 140, and anything the engine lacks in soul is secondary to what we all love about the Cali.

Last edited:
For similar reasons preferred my atmospheric Mustang 5.0 V8 over the turbo 4, and still miss the sound of the Cali 2.5 TDI compared to the 2.0.

Me too.
That 2.5, 5 pot was a brute...

Agree. I had the XC60 with that engine. Not the smoothest power delivery but I loved it. (Ended up chopping it in for an Audi Q5 which is without doubt the most tedious car I've ever owned. Big mistake.)

Agree. TD5 and XC70. However my 4.4 V8, whilst muted, sounds great when it gets going.

Agreed...although TR6 and a 323i were the most fun. I love the efficiency of my T5 140, and anything the engine lacks in soul is secondary to what we all love about the Cali.
Must admit the TR6 engine was lovely and don't forget the old Triumph vitesse :0 or my old Austin Cooper S!!!!!!!

I feel more on edge driving to work - I leave Home at 03:30am to start my journey and have found myself locking the doors whilst driving and nearly missed a change in traffic lights whilst sitting at the lights cause I was looking around more than usual. Probably spooking myself more than I need too.

The roads around London are virtually lawless. I’m one of those daily exercise cyclists (on my e-bike lol). The number of cars passing too close and far in excess of the speed limit is crazy. Can’t decide what’s worse heavy pollution and congestion (pre-CV) or low pollution and maniacs (now)? Can’t wait till this is all over. Booked for Holland (that cycle loving nation) in August. Fingers crossed we can go

The roads around London are virtually lawless. I’m one of those daily exercise cyclists (on my e-bike lol). The number of cars passing too close and far in excess of the speed limit is crazy.

Wow! I’ve cycled on the A20, A21 and South Circular with my two little boys on the back of the tandem and found all drivers very good natured and respectful. Perhaps it’s cycling outside the rush hour, or the sight of a tandem that makes the difference. I’ve also heard it said that normal clothes and no helmet make drivers see us as humans rather than Lycra clad obstructions (or targets).

The good news is that the Government have eased restrictions on making roads bicycle only during this lockdown. Let’s hope TfL and London boroughs take advantage of this.

I went out in the Cali this week to go and give blood/platelets as this needs to carry on.
I was surprised how bad my driving was. A mix of not driving for nearly 4 weeks combined with roads with a ratio of more cyclists than cars I found I wasn’t making good safe and smooth progress as I’d expect.
I can see the roads becoming an interesting place when the lockdown is over.

I kept to the speed limit, though this is one of my fav photo’s of me driving - also within the speed limit whilst on the autobahn.
C52E4376-D571-48DE-8676-9C06F86B3E3D.jpeg

Since the lockdown I’ve found my Cali getting around 5 weeks to the gallon. As for work it’s mainly people like myself in vans and lorries, there’s lots of those out of Southampton docks. I have noticed more cars in the last few days. The time that I notice how quiet it has become is when I’m on call going to jobs in the evening it like a ghost County Down here in Hampshire. It’s moments like this that I curse my work van being limited to 62mph

I go to work for a few hours each week. The roads are empty.
It’s maybe not so much speeding, but people’s lack of concentration, and where people would normally expect to stop at islands and junctions. They don’t anticipate stopping and travel through these quicker than they should.

Must confess, I’ve wound the flat 6 up and over 6 and a half thousand rpm, chasing the 7s with a nice slip road onto an empty 3 lanes bypass.
Sorry, I’m a bit of a bell end and the temptation is all to much for my tiny mind...

There has always been a flat 6 amnesty. Bounce it off the limiter at any given opportunity.

View attachment 57886

No idea who this plonker is/was !!

There is an ongoing debate about the surveillance society. There is an argument against Big Brother but some of the posts on this thread hint at reckless criminality that gives a strong case for more surveillance.

Maybe this picture isn’t genuine or maybe it’s a police car in an emergency (I doubt it). Otherwise if it occurred recently on open UK public roads then the sooner the driver is caught the better. The legal experts on here might like to comment but I’m guessing it could merit a prison sentence followed by a lengthy disqualification on release.

There is an ongoing debate about the surveillance society. There is an argument against Big Brother but some of the posts on this thread hint at reckless criminality that gives a strong case for more surveillance.

Maybe this picture isn’t genuine or maybe it’s a police car in an emergency (I doubt it). Otherwise if it occurred recently on open UK public roads then the sooner the driver is caught the better. The legal experts on here might like to comment but I’m guessing it could merit a prison sentence followed by a lengthy disqualification on release.

Wow, just wow...

Almost certainly taken whilst on a track day jolly, perfectly legal and making good use of the enormous power many cars possess today.

Have to agree with some of the behaviour of a minority of drivers taking advantage of the quieter roads and driving like complete tools. They do put themselves at risk and other road users especially the increased number of family riding bikes for there exercise, and then tying up emergency services in the event of an accident caused by there reckless behaviour

Wow - this morning whilst walking the dog I was just about to cross the road when in corner of my eye I spotted something white moving - was a DPD electric van and it was so so quiet. Quieter than any electric vehicles I've heard - thankfully he had spotted me first and slowed down but scary - they need road noise speakers on their front!!!

DPD are yet to use bikes to deliver in the countryside round here :rolleyes:

Wow - this morning whilst walking the dog I was just about to cross the road when in corner of my eye I spotted something white moving - was a DPD electric van and it was so so quiet. Quieter than any electric vehicles I've heard - thankfully he had spotted me first and slowed down but scary - they need road noise speakers on their front!!!

electric vehicles do have them,but only work at walking speeds,
look right,look left,look right again, works for me every time.

electric vehicles do have them,but only work at walking speeds,
look right,look left,look right again, works for me every time.
Now if all pedestrians and cyclists would use that very difficult method, there woul be much less accidents. Now pedestrians and cyclists just cross the road in front of anyone (car, bike, pedestrian) without looking.

Once, a Mercedes loaded with 4 70+ aged people turned over and stopped just near the cycleway. I held my foot ready to push the door over it's turning point. My guess was right, as I passed the car, the door went open. Luckily for the owner of the car, the passenger saw me at the last moment, not opening the door far enough for me to push the door over with my foot.

Anyway, we were talking about speed...