Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Driving lights.. stupid question?

Birty

Birty

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Currently unable to locate my manual so could someone tell me what’s happening? I have a cali 5.1 SE 2011 and when I turn left at night I notice additional lighting on the kirb edge? Is this normal/auto safety feature. Is it the front fogs or another bulb that comes on and does it work on both sides.. what if driving abroad? When does it turn off? Can I actually test it whilst stationary? Only just noticed this feature as never really driven it at night... doh...

Currently unable to locate my manual so could someone tell me what’s happening? I have a cali 5.1 SE 2011 and when I turn left at night I notice additional lighting on the kirb edge? Is this normal/auto safety feature. Is it the front fogs or another bulb that comes on and does it work on both sides.. what if driving abroad? When does it turn off? Can I actually test it whilst stationary? Only just noticed this feature as never really driven it at night... doh...
Normal, it works on both sides, fog lights, turns off once you straighten up and I think it only works when moving at slow speed.

Citroen had similar back in the 60s!
The Citroen Palas DS outside headlights (there were two headlights each side) actually swiveled as the steering was turned.

Our fog lights just come on.

Alan

The Citroen Palas DS outside headlights (there were two headlights each side) actually swiveled as the steering was turned.

Our fog lights just come on.

Alan
True, sadly they dropped them by the time I had my Citroen CX.

Also had ride height adjustable suspension and a weird foot brake system too I believe.
More4 "Car SOS" have rebuilt one. The show was aired on 5th April 2018.

Alan

Also had ride height adjustable suspension and a weird foot brake system too I believe.
More4 "Car SOS" have rebuilt one. The show was aired on 5th April 2018.

Alan
The only disappointment with my California is that although it has LED headlights the fog lights are “normal”.

Just a word or warning.....

I switched mine to a set of the AutoBeam Switchbacks that do yellow and white.

Because they switch using the on/off nature of the lights i find on windy roads they will change colour themselves and for a short period you can have 1 white and one yellow light.

I also think that when activated they are killing my DAB signal when activated.

Normal, it works on both sides, fog lights, turns off once you straighten up and I think it only works when moving at slow speed.
If you turn on your indicator, the fog light in that direction will go on if speed is about 30 - 20 km/h.
The light will go on on the side you turn your steering wheel when driving slow speed or standstill.
They go out (dimming) when straighten the steering wheel or driving above 20 - 30 km/h.
They dimm quite quick.

Back