Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drugged and Robbed in France?

Last year in the Loire on a fairly new proper campsite on one of the first mornings in our tent we witnessed the local police at the next tent. It seemed the side of the tent had been slashed with a knife and the handbag removed which contained the keys to their volvo. Towels were placed over the bonnet and the car opened and cash, cameras and phones were taken. The couple and thier teenage children were very upset and were abandoning their holiday. It seems a few other random items, such as flipflops, had been taken from other tents. The teenages did remember seeing some dodgy males on the site in the evening. Caused me to take more precautions for the rest of our holiday. Certainly feel more secure in the cali than a tent.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!! Not the flip flops?

I had my flip flops stolen this year whilst in the shower at a campsite in Lake Annecy

Kanye west's bird went on holiday to France with a 10 million quid in jewelry on her. she got it nicked. some say she deserved it and some say its a set up.who knows eh.any things possible.I don't think she was in a campervan though. her ass is too wide

I’d rather have a baguette shuv’d up my @rse than my flippers knicked!

ha. with ham in it or cheese? or ham and cheese? no other ingredients in French holiday sarnies is there.

I am sure there is a very simple explanation involving stupidity and alcohol, like drinking too much leaving the van wide open, then being too drunk to hear a thief stealing all their stuff.
(Who would ever do a thing like that :rolleyes:)

Then needing to make up some bull to help with the insurance claim.

See that family got a custodial for a fraudulent holiday insurance claim againt Thomsons.

Treads like this always end up with fantastic info ....

There was a one legged man stealing from shoe shp displays on the high street where I live.
He end up with 3 sets of Flip Flips before he was caught.

You don’t mess with a mans Havi’s.

I must stop coming on here when I've had a few

ok...

leaving a van wide open...

A cautionary tale about the electric side door.

I was stopping in a public car park in North Norfolk. My Sister in a hotel 2 minutes away. We were going to dinner locally so she walked to me. we had a glass of wine in Albert, then went for dinner. As I do I walked off, leaving the side door to close itself and nonchalantly locked the van up.

2 hours later we came back. I could hear the heater roaring away. I could see a glow from underneath the van coming from the underside. I got to the van. walked around, side door wide open. My laptop charger cable had fouled the door as it was closing and it had sprung open again.

2 hours with Albert's side door wide open, lights on, everything visible in a public car park late at night. an "OH SH*T" moment that thankfully I got away with :oops:

manual side door would be best there. I don't think many go for that electric side door. I wonder if thieves stick to the speed limit during their getaway though?

manual side door would be best there. I don't think many go for that electric side door. I wonder if thieves stick to the speed limit during their getaway though?

Not having much experience of thieves I have no idea. Why do you ask?

seem to recall some animosity about illegal wild camping and driving over 70mph . was a joke. remove my post

My neighbours unlcles sister in law was gassed at an aire on the Spanish border. It is rife down there.

My neighbours unlcles sister in law was gassed at an aire on the Spanish border. It is rife down there.
So I presume she was medically examined, blood tests taken and the agent identified?
No?
Didn’t think so.
Last time an agent was used to mass sedate people in a terrorist hostage situation, used by Russian Special Forces, over 50% of the people gassed/sedated DIED or were seriously incapacitated.
Your neighbours uncles sister in law was lying. She was 99% certainly DRUNK.

From the Royal College of Anaesthetics

Statement on alleged gassing in motor vehicles
Despite the increasing numbers of reports of people being gassed in motor-homes or commercial trucks in France, and the warning put out by the Foreign Office for travellers to be aware of this danger, this College remains of the view that this is a myth.

It is the view of the College that it would not be possible to render someone unconscious by blowing ether, chloroform or any of the currently used volatile anaesthetic agents, through the window of a motor-home without their knowledge, even if they were sleeping at the time. Ether is an extremely pungent agent and a relatively weak anaesthetic by modern standards and has a very irritant affect on the air passages, causing coughing and sometimes vomiting. It takes some time to reach unconsciousness, even if given by direct application to the face on a cloth, and the concentration needed by some sort of spray administered directly into a room would be enormous. The smell hangs around for days and would be obvious to anyone the next day. Even the more powerful modern volatile agents would need to be delivered in tankerloads of carrier gas by a large compressor. Potential agents, such as the one used by the Russians in the Moscow siege are few in number and difficult to obtain. Moreover, these drugs would be too expensive for the average thief to use.

The other important point to remember is that general anaesthetics are potentially very dangerous, which is why they are only administered in the UK by doctors who have undergone many years of postgraduate training in the subject and who remain with the unconscious patient throughout the anaesthetic. Unsupervised patients are likely to die from obstruction of the airway by their tongues falling back. In the Moscow seige approximately 20% of the people died, many probably from airway obstruction directly related to the agent used.

If there was a totally safe, odourless, potent, cheap anaesthetic agent available to thieves for this purpose it is likely the medical profession would know about it and be investigating its use in anaesthetic practice.

Last edited:
So I presume she was medically examined, blood tests taken and the agent identified?
No?
Didn’t think so.
Last time an agent was used to mass sedate people in a terrorist hostage situation, used by Russian Special Forces, over 50% of the people gassed/sedated DIED.
Your neighbours uncles sister in law was lying. She was 99% certainly DRUNK.

From the Royal College of Anaesthetics

Statement on alleged gassing in motor vehicles
Despite the increasing numbers of reports of people being gassed in motor-homes or commercial trucks in France, and the warning put out by the Foreign Office for travellers to be aware of this danger, this College remains of the view that this is a myth.

It is the view of the College that it would not be possible to render someone unconscious by blowing ether, chloroform or any of the currently used volatile anaesthetic agents, through the window of a motor-home without their knowledge, even if they were sleeping at the time. Ether is an extremely pungent agent and a relatively weak anaesthetic by modern standards and has a very irritant affect on the air passages, causing coughing and sometimes vomiting. It takes some time to reach unconsciousness, even if given by direct application to the face on a cloth, and the concentration needed by some sort of spray administered directly into a room would be enormous. The smell hangs around for days and would be obvious to anyone the next day. Even the more powerful modern volatile agents would need to be delivered in tankerloads of carrier gas by a large compressor. Potential agents, such as the one used by the Russians in the Moscow siege are few in number and difficult to obtain. Moreover, these drugs would be too expensive for the average thief to use.

The other important point to remember is that general anaesthetics are potentially very dangerous, which is why they are only administered in the UK by doctors who have undergone many years of postgraduate training in the subject and who remain with the unconscious patient throughout the anaesthetic. Unsupervised patients are likely to die from obstruction of the airway by their tongues falling back. In the Moscow seige approximately 20% of the people died, many probably from airway obstruction directly related to the agent used.

If there was a totally safe, odourless, potent, cheap anaesthetic agent available to thieves for this purpose it is likely the medical profession would know about it and be investigating its use in anaesthetic practice.
I think he was joking he also posted in another thread that he had a 100m hook up cable. Maybe posting after a Friday night down the local perhaps with @flying banana.

Last edited:
I agree with WelshGas on this one, it would be interesting to know how the rumours of a gas started. Is it the fear of sleeping in your bed unable to deal with it, that must make people fear and believe it so much. I am more concerned with the helpful motorists that point out you have a flat tyre and when you check another person robs your van, which apparently is rife on motorway service areas.

I heard about that from my window cleaner :Nailbiting. His cousin's neighbour used to be married to a bloke who bought a car from a salesman who stood next to someone in Tesco who was once served at the till by an old school friend who knew the very same woman who was gassed....