Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drugged and Robbed in France?

Something strange. Would you not wake if someone broke in or surely a needle would wake you instantly.

Something strange. Would you not wake if someone broke in or surely a needle would wake you instantly.

Would you really carry around all that dosh?

Really, sedated that heavily that you have no memory of it, no reaction to the drug, just get up as normal after being injected with something so powerful and not know anything about it?

The other couple, carting around five gold rings in their motorhome as they go on holiday?

Really?

Excuse me being a cynic but I normally leave most of the family jewels at home, do not hide thousands of pounds all around the camper and would know if I have just woken up from an anaesthetic.

Makes a change from "gas"

The story is so ridiculous I can't believe they would think anyone/insurance company would believe it.

Insurance scam? Something odd.

Must admit on my first trip in the Cali, all of the stupid stories had me on edge, however, I stayed in some municipal sites in France on edge of towns etc. Felt very safe... Suppose there is some risk but would imagine with half a brain and staying in the "right" places you will be ok.

Makes a change from "gas"

Same newspaper is also carrying story about a couple "obviously gassed without knowing it" after they discovered all the family's jewels couldn't be found ( the sort you always take out of the safe at home to carry around with you on holiday).

Not sure why you would go to the papers if it was an insurance scam? I reserve judgement

Those stories spread every now and then , scams happen but seen as % how are the odds it ever should happen to you ?

If they had a injection with something sure a blood test give result ?

If this was possible it would be happening to people in their homes all the time. Break in drug the occupants and then search their house for all the valuables.

It is sad how judgemental we all are in here, we do not know the full evidence do we

Or the lie has got out of control, maybe they were approached by a reporter upon hearing their story and now they are in too deep to tell the truth.
Indeed!

It is sad how judgemental we all are in here, we do not know the full evidence do we
I wasn't being judgemental - please note my question mark.

:Iamsorry Yes we do it is a scam.
After 40+ years as an anaesthetist I wish we had these drugs. We don’t and neither do they.
If I gave someone an anaesthetic without a careful dosage regime taking into account their age, sex, weight and any medical condition then over 50% of my patients would have ended up on the mortuary slab and 50% of the remainder in Intensive Care.
If you are that worried then I wouldn’t leave the house.:headbang:headbang:headbang

True...
But even with that in mind the story lacks a fair amount of detail doesn't it?
No mention of forced entry, other missing goods perhaps? and as already mentioned nothing that explains how they could be injected without either of them being woken. No mention of blood tests for drug analysis.

It is all very odd.

It is easy to make a wrong judgement on stories from a newspaper, they are not normally accurate with correct or totally true facts.
Regarding values of what people carry around with them you would be surprised what people do have on them. Only this year we were in Luxemburg and a woman sat down next to us and paid for her drinks and food from a bundle of notes that she pulled from her hand bag it was two inches thick all 500 euro notes, I was stunned.
I do not feel as safe as I did in Europe with all the asylum seekers that you see in some areas, mostly young black males, I am not a racist but they did make me feel very uneasy especially when they try to get on board or open the doors of your vehicle.

Cynical rather than Judgemental,

Most of the gassing stories regarding British families have been largely debunked by professional bodies such as the Royal college of Anaesthetists ...and if I have the title of that body incorrect then I am sure @WelshGas will correct me.

They nearly always involve sums of cash or jewellery going missing of the sort that no one, without good reason hitherto never offered, will carry on holiday with them.

They imply an attack that would involve a forced break in, with no evidence being left, and the use of substances that would lead to severe impairment afterwards, which does not appear to be the case in the two recent reports.

Judgement would be the responsibility of a court, if a claim was made and was subsequently disputed as in an unrelated Thomas Cook case recently. I, like every traveller, have to ask myself how much reliance am I going to put on these reports in terms of managing my own travel arrangements and my level of cynicism means that I will take no notice whatsoever.

It is easy to make a wrong judgement on stories from a newspaper, they are not normally accurate with correct or totally true facts.
Regarding values of what people carry around with them you would be surprised what people do have on them. Only this year we were in Luxemburg and a woman sat down next to us and paid for her drinks and food from a bundle of notes that she pulled from her hand bag it was two inches thick all 500 euro notes, I was stunned.
I do not feel as safe as I did in Europe with all the asylum seekers that you see in some areas, mostly young black males, I am not a racist but they did make me feel very uneasy especially when they try to get on board or open the doors of your vehicle.

Slightly different. Being mugged, violently assaulted, forced break ins etc are different to the "gassing" stories. The last one that I took notice of before the recent outbreak was investigated by an insurance company and was so implausible that I do believe the couple were later given the opportunity to retract or face a fraud trial.

I have no idea what is behind these recent stories, how true they may be, etc but the risk of physical violence is one I am wholly and acutely aware of, as a solo woman traveller, and I take sensible precautions that can in no way be considered foolproof, but I do feel safe in my Cali bed from being gassed. The level if implausibility that I find in these reports makes me unafraid of the same happening to me.

I was only saying the newspapers I find are normally so far from the truth, that it makes a J. K. Rowling story sound more convincing.
However I feel very safe on proper campsites, not so sure if in a layby or aire in some places .

I was only saying the newspapers I find are normally so far from the truth, that it makes a J. K. Rowling story sound more convincing.
However I feel very safe on proper campsites, not so sure if in a layby or aire in some places .

I agree Pete, newspapers are dreadful. I try not to read them.