Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG footbrake travel

D

Dingbat

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
My 2019 Cali T6 199ps DSG 4Mo footbrake pedal is, in my opinion soft, with between 50-70mm travel before "bite". Has a "squishing" noise during the initial travel.
I have a lifetime (50yrs) of diy maintaining vehicles, including brakes. Often, brake bleeds resulted in a total fluid replacement..but cured same symptoms. I am no longer able to do similar maintainance (too old)
Took the Cali to the dealer I bought the Cali off (mid January), on Monday this week on Warranty (probably a mistake). Service Department diagnosed with classic Dealer opinion.."nothing wrong with brakes Sir, standard design operation" Their diagnosis backed up with a supposed (MOT type) brake test and another Transporter footbrake comparison...which was similar in operation. I am suspicious of both paper "evidence" and comparison, (possibly another vehicle, in with similar fault?)
I am convinced (from my previous experience) that my Cali footbrake operation is faulty. My VW Tiguan is firm and near to top of its travel..also the courtesy vehicle (DSG Caddy) was firm at top of travel.
I will probably take my Cali to an Independant Garage to solve the brake operation, but would an RAC test or similar be advisable beforehand...for "evidence"? Any ideas what such an "expert test" might cost?

A basic RAC inspection costs £99 now. This covers the major mechanical bits, so more than brakes. They’re used for pre-purchase checks mostly. Try calling to see if they can do a slimmed down check (doubt it), or have an independent garage to check - probably circa £30 ?

My 2019 Cali T6 199ps DSG 4Mo footbrake pedal is, in my opinion soft, with between 50-70mm travel before "bite". Has a "squishing" noise during the initial travel.
I have a lifetime (50yrs) of diy maintaining vehicles, including brakes. Often, brake bleeds resulted in a total fluid replacement..but cured same symptoms. I am no longer able to do similar maintainance (too old)
Took the Cali to the dealer I bought the Cali off (mid January), on Monday this week on Warranty (probably a mistake). Service Department diagnosed with classic Dealer opinion.."nothing wrong with brakes Sir, standard design operation" Their diagnosis backed up with a supposed (MOT type) brake test and another Transporter footbrake comparison...which was similar in operation. I am suspicious of both paper "evidence" and comparison, (possibly another vehicle, in with similar fault?)
I am convinced (from my previous experience) that my Cali footbrake operation is faulty. My VW Tiguan is firm and near to top of its travel..also the courtesy vehicle (DSG Caddy) was firm at top of travel.
I will probably take my Cali to an Independant Garage to solve the brake operation, but would an RAC test or similar be advisable beforehand...for "evidence"? Any ideas what such an "expert test" might cost?
Did you manage to resolve this issue / find a fault etc ?

I have the exact same vehicle. I wouldn’t describe the brake pedal action as sharp. I have not measured how much travel before bite, but I think it’s a fair bit. It is getting close to needing a fluid refresh.

My muscle memory is fine with it. It stops in good order, although I have never had to brake sufficiently hard to activate the ABS so I have no idea if it can achieve that efficiency. Passed its MOT recently with no issue, though.

These days I only ever drive the California or our Aygo, and I have never noted a significant difference between them although one does weigh about a third of the other. When I was jumping in many different motors that would often reveal an issue when you see how sharp something else is.

In summary, they are a bit spongy, but effective and I’ve never considered them a problem.

You could just take it to an MOT station and see how much they want to do a brake test? First test must be coming up soonish?

I have now accepted an offer of a brake fluid replacement (constitutes a bleed?) from the dealer Service Dept. for mid-June. It may prove, either the brake pedal is soft/long travel, or "as standard"?
I believe the offer is a result of a e-mail invitation to review my visit to the dealer, by VWUK. Interesting to see Results..may be a recommended dealership possibile?

I have now accepted an offer of a brake fluid replacement (constitutes a bleed?) from the dealer Service Dept. for mid-June. It may prove, either the brake pedal is soft/long travel, or "as standard"?
I believe the offer is a result of a e-mail invitation to review my visit to the dealer, by VWUK. Interesting to see Results..may be a recommended dealership possibile?
Don't forget, on the DSG, the brake peddle does a little more than just apply the brakes and switch on the rear brake lights.such as activating Stop?Start, enabling the starting of the engine and allowing DSG gear selection. These various functions are determined by switches and I presume pressure changes in the system, eg: You can stop the vehicle and not activate Stop/Start if you are careful with the amount of pressure. Also when stopped with footbrake On then the DSG clutches are disengaged. These various functions would probably require a Long Travel function compared to some Non DSG gearboxes.

I also own a VW Tiguan DSG 4motion 2019..surely all WG points also apply?…as mentioned before, the Tiguan brake pedal is somewhat firmer, with less travel..hence the concern regarding the Cali brake pedal.

It’s quite possible that just changing the brake fluid will give a much more positive feel.Same thing happened with me when I changed the fluid when I rotated the wheels.

An indication of soft/spongy brakes can be better judged with the engine off - ie no vacuum assistance.
Quite a bit of travel on my pedal if foot on pedal then engine started (normal servo action)

Had a brake fluid change..brake pedal feels much the same..possibly 10% firmer (shorter travel).
I accept the dealer's service Technician's comment that my brake pedal travel is "normal" for a California.
This VW dealer/Technician has been very good/accepting of my original comments.