DSG not engaging

AlisonF

AlisonF

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
I may be posting in the wrong place as am sure I have seen @briwy post before about something similar but can not re-find where...
Anyway, today as it’s absolutely bad weather in Aberdeen, I used the loan vehicle (T6 caravelle, 70 plate and LWB), to go to local supermarket.
On the way out of my parking space (I went in forwards), I had a vehicle close on the LHS so knew I needed to shuffle a bit. I had a disabled space on RHS so all good. However after I reversed and then started to go forward at a different angle, it stalled, and I drifted forwards and drifted... bleep bleep (my words) as breaks, steering, nothing worked.
Fortunately I had reversed away from the neighbouring car so the drift and wheel angle just took me down to the curb.
I Managed to restart the engine and re-do the maneouvres - which due to the drift during the engine stop meant a simple reverse and leave the carpark was now 3 manoeuvres.
But no, each time I moved the gear stick from reverse to forward, it didn’t engage, the van drifted. And lots of stamping on the brake and panic ensued.
So many manoeuvres later, I was able to wind down my window and apologise to the lovely elderly gentleman parked next to me for his long wait.
If this is a common problem on new vehicles I’ll be checking my one out before accepting.
Utterly dangerous and extremely stressful.

@AlisonF , one of these treads?
F8AA4210-EE50-4F89-AC0D-77BA3842B1A7.png
from standing still starting uphill the DSG has some issues

I may be posting in the wrong place as am sure I have seen @briwy post before about something similar but can not re-find where...
Anyway, today as it’s absolutely bad weather in Aberdeen, I used the loan vehicle (T6 caravelle, 70 plate and LWB), to go to local supermarket.
On the way out of my parking space (I went in forwards), I had a vehicle close on the LHS so knew I needed to shuffle a bit. I had a disabled space on RHS so all good. However after I reversed and then started to go forward at a different angle, it stalled, and I drifted forwards and drifted... bleep bleep (my words) as breaks, steering, nothing worked.
Fortunately I had reversed away from the neighbouring car so the drift and wheel angle just took me down to the curb.
I Managed to restart the engine and re-do the maneouvres - which due to the drift during the engine stop meant a simple reverse and leave the carpark was now 3 manoeuvres.
But no, each time I moved the gear stick from reverse to forward, it didn’t engage, the van drifted. And lots of stamping on the brake and panic ensued.
So many manoeuvres later, I was able to wind down my window and apologise to the lovely elderly gentleman parked next to me for his long wait.
If this is a common problem on new vehicles I’ll be checking my one out before accepting.
Utterly dangerous and extremely stressful.

I experienced this problem several times, put up with it for two years during which time I reversed into a tree and totalled a bike rack while reverse parking uphill and eventually changed my 150 DSG to a 150 Manual. Felt more in control ever since. I hope your dealer is on a hill so you give it a proper test.
(Sadly manual is no longer an option)
All the best.

I find using the handbrake the 'safest' option for critical area reversing. Certainly easier on the heart rate.

Left foot braking is another option but not natural.

@hotel california @Jabberwocky @B J G

thanks for the replies
This is a loan vehicle 70 plate T6.
My previous 16 plate T6 had no such issues.
I will mention it to the dealer when I hand it back, but I don’t expect them to do anything. I was more concerned to make others aware of this. I felt I couldn’t move forward or backward (very little incline) as it wasn’t engaging properly.

My "bete noire" moment was turning right in a French town. No power (engine stalled), ignition switch would operate nothing. Eventually "started again". DSG in P, Ignition off, handbrake on, key out of ignition switch. Very stressful. (almost panic as I recall!!)
EDIT: I was turning left not right!

Last edited:
must be something wrong with the auto box, no way should it stall on you, as long as you change gear with foot hard on brake pedal gear should just engage and start inching forward/backward when lifting of pedal,( no need to touch accelerator at all when maneuvering slowly) bit like a forklift.
and yes box must be in p to restart- had that issue on when my old passat when auto start/stop kicked in and then would not re start on a v busy roundabout in wales!

must be something wrong with the auto box, no way should it stall on you, as long as you change gear with foot hard on brake pedal gear should just engage and start inching forward/backward when lifting of pedal,( no need to touch accelerator at all when maneuvering slowly) bit like a forklift.
and yes box must be in p to restart- had that issue on when my old passat when auto start/stop kicked in and then would not re start on a v busy roundabout in wales!
I had a T6 Ocean for 4.5 years. Never had the problem but read others have. Now with this T6, it’s often not engaging immediately, but yesterday it stalled as I said, and then wasn’t engaging at all.

Back