Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG issue

Christine Kirk

Christine Kirk

Lifetime VIP Member
[IMG alt="Christine Kirk"]https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/data/avatars/m/18/18429.jpg?1554017301[/IMG]

Christine Kirk

Lifetime VIP Member
Messages74
Tuesday at 10:34 AM
Yes our DSG box whilst smooth on the move is a pain starting off at a roundabout /junction. It also hesitates in reverse and simply refuses to back smoothly up any kind of incline. I mentioned it at the first service and JCT Sheffield said they had done a check on the DSG control system, at the second service (MAJOR! oil change, filters, and take a few photos) they told us that the DSG computer software needed an up grade which takes all day so the Cali is booked in with them to have this done, hopefully we will see a better driving experience!

S

shaunvwsheffield

Trade Advertiser
Messages32LocationSheffieldVehicleT6 Ocean 150
Tuesday at 10:48 AM
Hi Christine, sorry to hear of your issues. I hope the software update makes this better for you. Let me know how you get on?

Like Reply
[IMG alt="Christine Kirk"]https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/data/avatars/m/18/18429.jpg?1554017301[/IMG]

Christine Kirk

Lifetime VIP Member
Messages74
Wednesday at 6:51 PM
shaunvwsheffield said:
Hi Christine, sorry to hear of your issues. I hope the software update makes this better for you. Let me know how you get on?
Apparently there's nothing wrong with the gearbox engagement system ! We have reported several times now that the take-up of drive from stationary is hesitant and delayed, especially in reverse up a slope.! When it does engage it lurches forward or backwards in an uncontrollable way.
What now ?

S

shaunvwsheffield

Trade Advertiser
Yesterday at 9:14 AM
What you are describing is a characteristic of the DSG gearbox, is your vehicle a 204 or 199ps? as it is worse with that engine than the 150. I have driven 100's of dgs transporters / California's and they are all the same.

The only way i have known this improve is when people have had their vehicle re-mapped by such companies as Revo or Pendle Performance. This would cause issues with your warranty though so may be worth waiting until the manufacturer warranty has ran out. Have a look into it or ask for peoples opinions in the forum.

Like Reply

Christine Kirk

Lifetime VIP Member
Messages74
12 minutes ago
It would appear that the gearbox function issue is a known fault as you have explained, and has been a topic recently discussed on the https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/conversations/dsg-gearbox-issue.19025/#convMessage-59414 forum several times. The solution is to reprogram the box as has beed eluded to on the responses on the forum thread.
The engine is a 199ps and it is a 4motion final drive system; If you need to know our cali look at it in the workshop at Sheffield. I'm sure that the workshop said that the gearbox computer needs attention ( reprogram) when we had it serviced in Dec.I'm now unsure what they are doing not a happy experience as it stands ; sending text messages is an unsatisfactory way to deal with this.
We don't know if the fault is going to be dealt with satisfactorily.

The tyres spin when we come up our drive! not good enough really.

Attachments​

Above is the conversation ongoing with Shaunvwsheffield regarding our 2019 Cali which we are having issues with the gearbox take up from stationary​

Any comments welcome.

Christine Kirk

Lifetime VIP Member
Messages74
Tuesday at 10:34 AM
Yes our DSG box whilst smooth on the move is a pain starting off at a roundabout /junction. It also hesitates in reverse and simply refuses to back smoothly up any kind of incline. I mentioned it at the first service and JCT Sheffield said they had done a check on the DSG control system, at the second service (MAJOR! oil change, filters, and take a few photos) they told us that the DSG computer software needed an up grade which takes all day so the Cali is booked in with them to have this done, hopefully we will see a better driving experience!

S

shaunvwsheffield

Trade Advertiser
Tuesday at 10:48 AM

Like Reply

Christine Kirk

Lifetime VIP Member
Messages74
Wednesday at 6:51 PM

Apparently there's nothing wrong with the gearbox engagement system ! We have reported several times now that the take-up of drive from stationary is hesitant and delayed, especially in reverse up a slope.! When it does engage it lurches forward or backwards in an uncontrollable way.
What now ?

S

shaunvwsheffield

Trade Advertiser
Yesterday at 9:14 AM
What you are describing is a characteristic of the DSG gearbox, is your vehicle a 204 or 199ps? as it is worse with that engine than the 150. I have driven 100's of dgs transporters / California's and they are all the same.

The only way i have known this improve is when people have had their vehicle re-mapped by such companies as Revo or Pendle Performance. This would cause issues with your warranty though so may be worth waiting until the manufacturer warranty has ran out. Have a look into it or ask for peoples opinions in the forum.

Like Reply

Christine Kirk

Lifetime VIP Member
Messages74
12 minutes ago
It would appear that the gearbox function issue is a known fault as you have explained, and has been a topic recently discussed on the https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/conversations/dsg-gearbox-issue.19025/#convMessage-59414 forum several times. The solution is to reprogram the box as has beed eluded to on the responses on the forum thread.
The engine is a 199ps and it is a 4motion final drive system; If you need to know our cali look at it in the workshop at Sheffield. I'm sure that the workshop said that the gearbox computer needs attention ( reprogram) when we had it serviced in Dec.I'm now unsure what they are doing not a happy experience as it stands ; sending text messages is an unsatisfactory way to deal with this.
We don't know if the fault is going to be dealt with satisfactorily.

The tyres spin when we come up our drive! not good enough really.

Attachments​

Above is the conversation ongoing with Shaunvwsheffield regarding our 2019 Cali which we are having issues with the gearbox take up from stationary​

Any comments welcome.
Remember, the DSG gearbox is NOT like the old Automatic gearbox with a torque converter. It is basically 2 ma nual gearboxes working in tandem with an automatic clutch and gear selection.
The attachment DSG Gearbox describes how it works and DSG describes how to get the best out of it.

Attachments

• DSG Gearbox.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 64
  • DSG.pdf
    78.7 KB · Views: 59
There is a big thread about this on the German Cali board. There is a software update that apparently makes a big difference

They all do it, especially bad in reverse.
I had mine professionally mapped with a TVS DSG drivability upgrade.. This has transformed the drive.
I have attached the brochure.
Hi Loz, can you please provide a bit more information on how the remap has improved things please?

I've been monitoring this since your last posting before you had the remap. Thanks

I've been following discussion about DSG with interest since I bought my Cali.
I have never driven a DSG before and even though I have now owned my van for 10 months I have done so few miles that I don't really know the driving characteristics of the gearbox.
However, two characteristics have manifested themselves.
First, reluctance to reverse up a slope. I found this out when I tried to run the back wheels up ramps to check the spare wheel. The van just refused and then I had the feeling that something bad was about to happen as I increased the revs so I stopped.
Second, sometimes scary delay when pulling out from junctions etc. I have not driven enough miles to know how bad this is or if altered driving style while help.
I was already leaning towards the mod described by @Loz, it sounds like it could be a good investment.
Thanks @WelshGas for the attachments. The DSG.pdf reads as if it is described for manual shifting (mentions paddles and double downshift), most people would presumably just use D and let the box do whatever.

I also find this thread interesting I had never driven an automatic or a DSG car or van until we took our 1st Cali for a test drive in 2012. (Changing to T6 in 2016). Our drive is an uphill reverse into the road. - never had an issue with this or at pulling away at junctions. Myself and the gearbox work together without issue. I rarely find I need to override the S or D setting with manual shifting.

Hi Loz, can you please provide a bit more information on how the remap has improved things please?

I've been monitoring this since your last posting before you had the remap. Thanks
Engages instantly without any lag
Matches the correct gear to the speed (not in 7th at 40mph)
With coasting off you get immediate engine braking in the correct gear
reverse lag is gone, it will creep once you lift off the brake
Always in the correct gear at roundabouts and going up hills.
Pull out smoothly and quickly from junctions without the rev and spin (if you have a 204 you know what I mean)
It really is a pleasure to drive and how it should have been from the factory.

I've been following discussion about DSG with interest since I bought my Cali.
I have never driven a DSG before and even though I have now owned my van for 10 months I have done so few miles that I don't really know the driving characteristics of the gearbox.
However, two characteristics have manifested themselves.
First, reluctance to reverse up a slope. I found this out when I tried to run the back wheels up ramps to check the spare wheel. The van just refused and then I had the feeling that something bad was about to happen as I increased the revs so I stopped.
Second, sometimes scary delay when pulling out from junctions etc. I have not driven enough miles to know how bad this is or if altered driving style while help.
I was already leaning towards the mod described by @Loz, it sounds like it could be a good investment.
Thanks @WelshGas for the attachments. The DSG.pdf reads as if it is described for manual shifting (mentions paddles and double downshift), most people would presumably just use D and let the box do whatever.
I found the same theories work in D and R.
I have to reverse up my drive and have had no problems, I just wait and it moves, and once moving responds as expected to the accelerator.
The software sets the gearbox up for what it expects you to do next. There is also an element of learning the drivers driving style over time.

Pull out smoothly and quickly from junctions without the rev and spin (if you have a 204 you know what I mean)
I've experienced the DSG characteristics/problems, and wonder why we should have to pay companies such as TVS to remap our vehicles to drive correctly.
Perhaps Loz, an invitation to someone of importance from VW to drive your Cali might lead to them reimbursing you for the cost of the remapping by TVS!

My 2016 T6 204 DSG 4Motion drove perfectly. Only once had an issue. I was coming into the customs at IJmuiden for the ferry to Newcastle. Stopped part way up the incline. Then when it was my turn to move forward to the window, the stop/start did not engage and I started to roll backwards (with a queue of cars behind). Brakes didn’t work. Had to pull the handbrake then restart the engine. Other than that one occasion it always engaged as expected, even reversing up hill. Was a fabulous vehicle to drive and I cried when I traded it in.

I currently have a 2020 T6 DSG Caravelle as a loan vehicle whilst awaiting my Beach. My driving style has not changed and I am going to all the same places as before. However, I am having severe problems with the DSG not engaging when reversing up a slight incline in local shop carpark (mentioned in another thread a few weeks ago). Also, it lurches forward when moving away from stationary (there’s a small pause after gently touching the accelerator and then a lunge forwards).
If this was my vehicle I would reject it.

I’m surprised at the difference between the two vehicles DSG behaviour.

I originally went for the DSG based on my Wife's EOS DSG which was faultless whether reversing or not.
Cali is completely different with it's unpredictable reverse engagement/disengagement.
Useless at trying to reverse a trailer up hill with a bend, now only drive up and manhandle the trailer at the top.

Currently trying to justify the cost of a TVS upgrade in addition to 4 year service and cambelt etc.

I originally went for the DSG based on my Wife's EOS DSG which was faultless whether reversing or not.
Cali is completely different with it's unpredictable reverse engagement/disengagement.
Useless at trying to reverse a trailer up hill with a bend, now only drive up and manhandle the trailer at the top.

Currently trying to justify the cost of a TVS upgrade in addition to 4 year service and cambelt etc.
I think the time interval based cam belt service interval has been removed and replaced with a mileage only based interval. May save you some cash.

For Reverse gear, put it in reverse, count 1001, 1002, 1003 and then give gas. It will then behave properly including going uphill backwards.

I think the time interval based cam belt service interval has been removed and replaced with a mileage only based interval. May save you some cash.
Certainly no where near any mileage requirement.

For reference though, I also had a 2014 Tiguan, 177bhp 4M Diesel and DSG, and the DSG was smooth and faultless. I guess it gets a bit quirky because of the additional ton that a Cali weights.

For Reverse gear, put it in reverse, count 1001, 1002, 1003 and then give gas. It will then behave properly including going uphill backwards.
Not much good when reversing up to a wall or to hitch up a trailer.

Not much good when reversing up to a wall or to hitch up a trailer.
why not ? I regularly have to reverse up hill to parallel parking where I live.
I stop before reversing with gear in D. Brake pedal is pressed, van is not moving. Put into R and continue to keep the brake pedal pressed for 2-3 secs applying no gas. Than release brake pedal and give gas. It back up smoothly uphill.
That is because there is a slight delay in the reverse gear to engage. If you are too quick giving gas the gear is not engaged, the engine starts revving which delays further the engagement of the R gear and when it finally engages it shoot backwards violently because of the high revs.
But if it is allowed those 2-3 seconds it behaves smooth.

I stop before reversing with gear in D. Brake pedal is pressed, van is not moving. Put into R and continue to keep the brake pedal pressed for 2-3 secs applying no gas. Than release brake pedal and give gas. It back up smoothly uphill.
That is because there is a slight delay in the reverse gear to engage. If you are too quick giving gas the gear is not engaged, the engine starts revving which delays further the engagement of the R gear and when it finally engages it shoot backwards violently because of the high revs.
Absolutely agree. As others much more knowledgable than me have pointed out there is a lot of user issues that contribute to reported problems. I have driven an Audi A3 with DSG for a couple of years and you have to learn how to best utilise the gearbox. It is by no means an automatic in the classic sense. At a basic level and as #Calimili has stated, simply letting the DSG 'prepare' itself will begin to deliver as smooth a drive as you could wish.

Not how it read first time,
"give gas" conveys foot down and go for it!

I've got mine sorted except don't have the confidence to reverse (up hill) to put the tow ball directly under the hitch for fear of overshooting by the small margin of clearance to the bumper with resulting paint damage.
Used to do it easily with previous auto BMW & Discovery.

The fact that my DSG disengages when reversing up hill or slight gradient when a slight lifting of the accelerator pedal occurs instinctively as I near an object means going through the start off procedure again etc etc. EOS would remain engaged once set in motion.

Last edited:
Interesting the way the dsg works wasn't aware of any of this. Would have ordered a manual if I could have. Is there any issues going up level up ramps i.e. overshooting? Used to the 3 level fiamma/thule type with a manual van and requires a fair bit of gas to climb each step and then I usually quickly brake! Sounds like it may be better done in D and not R. Would usually use reverse though if I want to raise the back.

Absolutely agree. As others much more knowledgable than me have pointed out there is a lot of user issues that contribute to reported problems. I have driven an Audi A3 with DSG for a couple of years and you have to learn how to best utilise the gearbox. It is by no means an automatic in the classic sense. At a basic level and as #Calimili has stated, simply letting the DSG 'prepare' itself will begin to deliver as smooth a drive as you could wish.
But, as I mentioned above, there does seem to be variation between gearboxes, even within the T6 range.

Many thanks. How long did they need your van? and cost?

I've experienced the DSG characteristics/problems, and wonder why we should have to pay companies such as TVS to remap our vehicles to drive correctly.
Perhaps Loz, an invitation to someone of importance from VW to drive your Cali might lead to them reimbursing you for the cost of the remapping by TVS!
Would love to hear from VW about the reasons why. I hear the mpg arguments but Bognor tell me efficiency isn’t worsened and can be improved with TVS. To not inspire confidence when reversing though is confusing ...

Back