Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG issue

Would love to hear from VW about the reasons why. I hear the mpg arguments but Bognor tell me efficiency isn’t worsened and can be improved with TVS. To not inspire confidence when reversing though is confusing ...
The reasons are emissions plain and simple. The reason to change into 7th so early is not because VW dont know what they are doing its emissions, drives crap but great for Nox and CO2. Strange how the poor driveability coincides with engines emerging under the emissions spot light. Bognor talking bull, its not possible to change up later using more revs and maintain the same efficiency. Marginal but worse all the same
My 199 is blighted also and its nothing to do with the DSG vs auto as quite simply my other DSG doesnt do it and neither does Porsche PDK (same principle) or Audi come to that.
I think I may well cough for the TVS mod but need to decide if Im keeping it long term.

I am picking up a Brand new 150PS DSG Cali tomorrow mate. Let me know what you want to test and I will do it and let you know the results.
Would just like to know if the gearbox feels right. I test drove one and it was uncomfortable so I think I’ve made up my mind to whip it in to Bognor early and just get it done. For the price of the shower attachment it seems worth it as I intend to keep it for a decade minimum.

Bognor were suggesting a DSG remap but to be honest I dont really have an issue with mine. Yes it can be a little hesistant and it does change into 7th a little early but apart from that its fine.

I will try and give you a honest appraisal tomorrow night. To give context I drive a Maserati currently and previously AMG mercs so my recent experience is a quick shift, although not mainly in sports mode. I expect the best Van experience but know it is still a van.

Never had a problem with DSG. Like any vehicle it takes a little bit to get used to the bite point / characteristics etc. Our drive is on a slope, no issues front in or tail in, or getting onto levelling chocks, or any other manoeuvring for that matter. Certainly wouldn’t remap a Cali in the warranty period.

I had a 2016 150DSG Ocean and never noticed any problems with the gearbox. Now I have a 2019 150DSG Ocean and whilst reversing is hesitant and can occasionally be problematic, it’s pulling away at roundabouts that can sometimes be really frightening. This is because initially nothing happens when I press the accelerator, for what seems like an age, and then it launches itself off with wheels spinning even with light accelerator pressure. Vw should fix this, we shouldn’t have to go to a third party to make the vehicle safe to drive.

I think thats why its hesitant; to prevent wheelspin. The DSG in the Golf GTE was fine with no hesitation. The ID3 caught me out at the first junction as its rapid even in eco mode.

I think thats why its hesitant; to prevent wheelspin. The DSG in the Golf GTE was fine with no hesitation. The ID3 caught me out at the first junction as its rapid even in eco mode.
Sounds like the hesitancy causes wheel spin? If the response isn’t forthcoming you press the pedal harder and then launch with higher revs than intended?

Maybe better to think of it as traction control.

Sounds like the hesitancy causes wheel spin? If the response isn’t forthcoming you press the pedal harder and then launch with higher revs than intended?

I’ve tried feathering the accelerator and the wheels can still spin. It’s like it’s trying to catch up with itself. What’s strange is my old Cali didn’t do this, it’s a new feature for 2019 models!

It is an odd experience. When pulling away in our 199Dsg, i usually blip the throttle and then feather the power back in quickly to find the right biting point to pull away smoothly.

Reversing remains a complete mystery still. 1 time its fine, the next ur waiting for it to engage. Its mad. Having got ours during first lockdown last year weve not covered that many serious miles yet so are still learning.

The kids dont like mum driving because having not driven it before she nailed it out of a pub carpark engaging way too many revs to make up for lack of initial response after pedal was pressed. The Cali moved like its ar$e was on fire. I literally checked for underside damage ;-D

My Audi B8.5 S4 has DSG and I drive it 99% of the time in Sport/Manual mode. Very little lag or hesitancy in low gears although not Ferrari fast gear changes. Compared to the old BMW M3 SMG system its heaven. Driving style does change thats for sure. I usually upshift manually and let the computer do the downshifts especially coming to a stop eg at a junction. I did experience a slight jolt shifting from 1st to 2nd like someone hit me from behind but I put that down to the gearbox coming up to its scheduled maintenance (transmission oil and filter). 20K since then and no further odd behaviour. The recommended service interval is 35K on the Audi. Same for the Cali?

I’ve tried feathering the accelerator and the wheels can still spin. It’s like it’s trying to catch up with itself. What’s strange is my old Cali didn’t do this, it’s a new feature for 2019 models!
Have you considered TVS?

This new feature came with the 2017 204.
It’s something that’s annoyed me from day one.

Another benefit of the DSG map in having the correct gear for the speed, is slightly higher revs whilst doing short journeys around the village and this is helping the DPF stay at a lower ash level.
Previously our 204 was doing more regens due to the build up.
I have been monitoring the ash level in Carista(with the new DPF regen feature) and it is emptying itself passively whilst driving about.

Its to prevent emissions nothing to do with wheel spin. VW expect you to learn to press it lightly then wait for things to start happening. The emissions test will be done like this. Trouble is humans dont actually do that, they press and when nothing happens they press more and when it kicks in its too much.
Its either live with it or get TVS, VW wont ever fix it (in fact they think they have fixed it !) because it would defeat the emissions test protocol and we have been there before havent we.
I had to pay to get my 140 skoda unfixed from 9978 software fix as it damages the engine, only way was 3rd party.
Reliability, fuel consumption and drivability isnt there priority at the moment.

Have you considered TVS?
If Coronavirus hadn’t arrived I’d have been a lot more active in trying to get it fixed. As for paying for TVS I’d be worried that the at the next service VW would update the software and wipe the upgrade even if I asked them not to.

If Coronavirus hadn’t arrived I’d have been a lot more active in trying to get it fixed. As for paying for TVS I’d be worried that the at the next service VW would update the software and wipe the upgrade even if I asked them not to.
I understand that Bognor will remove/replace the software for £50 once installed.
(You might want them to remove it prior to a major service to prevent warranty issues, though I hear they are unlikely to discover it )

Don’t go anywhere near Volkswagen anymore. Local garage round the corner have been brilliant.
Dealing with VW dealerships in the past, has been a total headache...

Don’t go anywhere near Volkswagen anymore. Local garage round the corner have been brilliant.
Dealing with VW dealerships in the past, has been a total headache...
Are you still in warranty soulstyle?

Back