Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG or Manual?

Same as you again. We have an automatic BMW X3 (first auto) & it's so good I said from here on the main family car would always be an auto. I've driven many a vw/Audi with a dsg or s-tronic where I felt they were not suited to the cars but on the California I think the dsg feels spot on. I wouldn't rule out a manual but I'd certainly be pushing for dsg within my budget. The sport mode on the dsg seemed to suite my style of during better in most situations

Same as you again. We have an automatic BMW X3 (first auto) & it's so good I said from here on the main family car would always be an auto. I've driven many a vw/Audi with a dsg or s-tronic where I felt they were not suited to the cars but on the California I think the dsg feels spot on. I wouldn't rule out a manual but I'd certainly be pushing for dsg within my budget. The sport mode on the dsg seemed to suite my style of during better in most situations
Hands off my van :thefinger :D

@bigmac77
Each to there own but out of curiosity, what are you disagreeing with in post number 27?

If only....
Just trying to establish what compromises I'll prefer to make.
Looking at the for sale ads on here I reckon our T5 Cali tiptronic is worth about £30k so you might be struggling to get a newer T5.1 with DSG.
To answer your question though I wouldn't go back to a manual for a camper or motor home of any kind, an auto really suits the relaxed holiday vibe you get in a Cali.
Also if you're ever driving through Germany you'll appreciate it as the traffic jams on the motorways there have been horrendous every time we've been there.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

One big boon of the DSG is that on long trips with cruise on it will keep a constant speed with gear changing if needed whereas you'd have to go out of Cruise to change gear then re-engage top gear and cruise.
Pity it doesn't have speed limit control as well.

Also if pottering about on scenic routes you can enjoy the scenery more, surprising how often it's only in 4th or 5th gear.

I have slow manoeuvring issues with it but not enough to go manual.

I would prefeer 4M over DSG. I have never been amazed by the auto and that includes the DSG. I like to have more precise control when on narrow spaces. I never tried a auto that did not have a delay.

Last edited:
We originally specced a 150 manual but I changed it to DSG. I have to say whilst it is great I think I would have preferred if I'd stuck with manual and used the money to upgrade the engine instead. I've never owned a DSG before and may be driving it wrong but I feel it changes up too early labouring the engine. If I put my foot down more it changes at higher revs but for my driving style I feel it would be better off changing somewhere inbetween. This obviously depends on the gradient of the road and what we're carrying.

Last edited:
We originally specced a 150 manual but I changed it to DSG. I have to say whilst it is great I think I would have preferred if I'd stuck with manual and used the money to upgrade the engine instead. I've never owned a DSG before and may be driving it wrong but I feel it changes up to early labouring the engine. If I put my foot down more it changes at higher revs but for my driving style I feel it would be better off changing somewhere inbetween. This obviously depends on the gradient of the road and what we're carrying.
What about the sport mode? On my car that increases the rev range between changes (holds on to a gear longer).

S mode will hold the gear to about 3,500rpm which is too high for my style of driving, D mode seems to change up at about 1,200rpm unless you give it more throttle then it's around 2,500 or 3,500 if you've floored it. During normal driving in D mode I feel the engine needs to change up nearer 2,000rpm.

Just out of interest what do you not like about DSG?
I Love driving and have driven and hold licence for just about everything from C+E , PCV to motorcycle so my preference is manual.
Annik may disagree and that is their choice but who cares. My choice and preference is all that matters and if DSG is theirs good on them but respect anothers right to choose.:Stig

No to make it a discussion on 4M vs. DSG. But there is an active thread running about the 4M option. It's interesting how some explains their challenges with DSG when on limits of the cars (or drivers) capability i.e. slippery wet grass, uphill gravel, etc.

I am sure the DSG is a dream on the motorway – especially with ACC. But the pleasure might come to an end when in more demanding situations. When the day is over, it is all a question of personal preference.

It might be worth reading: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/4-motion-california.20369/#post-232829

DSG with adaptive cruise control is wonderful.
30+ years of driving manuals, including professional driving to advanced level, and I am a convert - certainly for the California and the type of driving it is suited to.
Just done 2,250 of effortless driving around France, including the Alps, just slip it into S-mode for the windy roads or steep uphill/descent and it was brilliant.
If I wanted to go back to the type of driving I used to do professionally, then I would choose a manual car, but that was driving something where I was allowed to break speed limits and I wouldn't want to do that sort of driving in my Cali :)
For relaxing journeys, DSG has my vote.
Mrs S agrees too

DSG with adaptive cruise control is wonderful.
30+ years of driving manuals, including professional driving to advanced level, and I am a convert - certainly for the California and the type of driving it is suited to.
Just done 2,250 of effortless driving around France, including the Alps, just slip it into S-mode for the windy roads or steep uphill/descent and it was brilliant.
If I wanted to go back to the type of driving I used to do professionally, then I would choose a manual car, but that was driving something where I was allowed to break speed limits and I wouldn't want to do that sort of driving in my Cali :)
For relaxing journeys, DSG has my vote.
Mrs S agrees too
Snap on all counts.
Had a smallish sporty car recently on hire and it was great fun with the manual box. But the Cali is made for the DSG.
As I've previously posted when this subject came up I moved from a MK1 golf GTI and had the very first Touran with a DSG box after 12 years of driving that the DSG was the first option ticked to go on the Cali.

Mike

I couldn't go back to manual. For me its like going back to the stone age. I agree, a nice sporty car, or any car really, works fine with manual, but a heavy van traveling for hundreds of miles at a time, and with all the traffic problems these days the DSG surely must be the way to go. I test drove a manual cali before I decided to buy, and also a DSG, and it really was such a difference that even though a bit more expensive I just had to have it. But fair play to the people who want manual it a free country :thumb.

It's pretty unanimous so far and no different than I expected to hear really.
For some, only a manual will do and for others (the apparent majority) the ease of the DSG trumps all.
Thank you all.

We originally specced a 150 manual but I changed it to DSG. I have to say whilst it is great I think I would have preferred if I'd stuck with manual and used the money to upgrade the engine instead. I've never owned a DSG before and may be driving it wrong but I feel it changes up too early labouring the engine. If I put my foot down more it changes at higher revs but for my driving style I feel it would be better off changing somewhere inbetween. This obviously depends on the gradient of the road and what we're carrying.
I think the DSG makes the engine feel more powerful/responsive at A-road/motorway speed because the box will pop down to 6th or 5th if it needs to. Makes overtaking easier IMO. Agree that it labours sometimes at lower speeds up hill.

Charles

Had you asked me this question a few years ago, definitely manual.
Having had a Caravelle DSG on loan, must admit I really quite liked it and many times I wished my Cali was DSG.

However, I think DSG is great if you own the vehicle for 3-4 years (within warranty) from new and sell on.
If I was buying an older California the complicated electronics that control DSG and the potential costs of a failed DSG box would put me off slightly.

So for me, it would depend how long I was looking to keep the vehicle. Long term the manual should be easier and cheaper to maintain.

As for electronic hand brake, no thanks...!!!
I wouldn't sleep up in that roof at night, trusting some electronics will keep the van stationary.
Sometimes the mechanical clunk, click and resistive tensions, ticks the boxes in my mind, that the vehicle braking system has been properly engaged.

It's pretty unanimous so far and no different than I expected to hear really.
For some, only a manual will do and for others (the apparent majority) the ease of the DSG trumps all.
Thank you all.

I really like the manual gearbox, probably the nicest of all the vehicles I've owned. It's easy to use, tho I do tend to stall it on roundabouts but that's the numpty driving, not the van.

Had you asked me this question a few years ago, definitely manual.
Having had a Caravelle DSG on loan, must admit I really quite liked it and many times I wished my Cali was DSG.

However, I think DSG is great if you own the vehicle for 3-4 years (within warranty) from new and sell on.
If I was buying an older California the complicated electronics that control DSG and the potential costs of a failed DSG box would put me off slightly.

So for me, it would depend how long I was looking to keep the vehicle. Long term the manual should be easier and cheaper to maintain.

As for electronic hand brake, no thanks...!!!
I wouldn't sleep up in that roof at night, trusting some electronics will keep the van stationary.
Sometimes the mechanical clunk, click and resistive tensions, ticks the boxes in my mind, that the vehicle braking system has been properly engaged.
Extended warranty is an option to cover drive train.