Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6spd Manual available again in the UK

Scorf

Scorf

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Don't ask why I was messing around with the 'Build your own' configurator.....

But I happened upon what appeared to be a reduction in price for the California Beach.... suddenly available 'from £45,723'

I thought thats odd, I was sure it was 'From £47,303' when I ordered mine in November, just after the latest price increase.

And there it was.... now two options with a Beach.... the 6spd manual as well as the DSG.

I assume its just taken time to get the manual certified through the new emissions / fuel consumption tests, with the 6spd rated at 191 g/co2 compared to 178 for the DSG, but now its all sorted & the manual option is available again.....

Also available as Ocean and if config is correct a manual roof!

The German site still shows the Ocean as having electric roof and CO2 level as 193. Also interesting is the price of the Grand California on their site.

6739E356-015F-443C-9918-0287E7DBF336.png If you look closely at a picture of the Cali Ocean on the config tool (screenshot attached), the roof does look different, particularly from the front. Have they redesigned to try and fix corrosion issues?

View attachment 41045 If you look closely at a picture of the Cali Ocean on the config tool (screenshot attached), the roof does look different, particularly from the front. Have they redesigned to try and fix corrosion issues?
Is that not just the Edition model with black roof?. Also most images may just be cgi generated by computer rather than actual photos and product catalogue still shows electric roof for Ocean models.

Is that not just the Edition model with black roof?. Also most images may just be cgi generated by computer rather than actual photos and product catalogue still shows electric roof for Ocean models.

I configured an Ocean (not edition model). Said manual roof on the spec, no electric option.

German site states electric so don't think they would do a special for UK. Maybe a phone call to VW uk would confirm as the config is subject to errors ( heaven forbid)

Our cali ocean is due to arrive in the UK in 3 weeks - we ordered on the basis of an electronic roof so I really hope that ours isn't manual!!

Cant see them selling many of the manuals the Co2 figure moves it up a band to same as 199 DSG 4 motion. So in the uk a 150 manual goes out the door at the same price as a 150 DSG give or take

So you’re saying the price to buy the vehicle goes up or the price to tax it?
Cant see them selling many of the manuals the Co2 figure moves it up a band to same as 199 DSG 4 motion. So in the uk a 150 manual goes out the door at the same price as a 150 DSG give or take[/QUOTE
So do you mean the price of the vehicle goes up or the price to tax it?

So you’re saying the price to buy the vehicle goes up or the price to tax it?

First year tax goes up. Basically the 199 2wd went up and now the manual 150, the 4 motion went up also but stayed in the same band. 150 DSG is the only one now in the lower band.

First year tax goes up. Basically the 199 2wd went up and now the manual 150, the 4 motion went up also but stayed in the same band. 150 DSG is the only one now in the lower band.

To tax my manual just cost me £450 I’m just into the second year of tax... last year was AROUND £500 from memory?

now so how much does it cost to tax a dsg per year ??

Its the first year duty when buying new £1760, nothing to do with the follow on years.

Ok so my first year duty last year was as I said around £500
So now to tax a manual the first year costs £1760 really???
And how much is the first year on a dsg?
The same as I payed last year around £500?
This is totally nuts

Thats right although its >£40k duty plus road tax with duty only applying the first year. A 150 DSG is £1240 for the first year. From year 2 onwards they are all the same irrespective of the model. Its because the manual CO2 figures are now 191 whereas previously it was less than 190 as was the 2wd 204 DSG.

Good God! Completely puts me off ever changing the van. Ours is a March 2017 manual and is £230!

The first year VED is all rolled into the purchase price.....thats why most people don't notice. You either want the van for £50k+ or you don't. Whether £1k, £1.5k or £1.8k of it is VED is immaterial to most I would suspect, especially when compared to over £10k of VAT.

Its the VED from year 2-6 that is £140 + a £310 per year supplement because the list price is over £40k. After year 6 it becomes £140 per year.... (All above subject to any annual increases).

You pays your money & makes your choice, as they say (I think! :D)

So let me get this right
it’s £500 more the first years tax (duty) for a manual....and it’s £1600 more to opt for a a dsg box over a manual,
so that’s not the same price give or take a few pounds like you said ???
it’s still £1100 more for the dsg??
I didn’t think this could be possible and it isn’t ..There’s £1100 difference ....t
But all the same I’m glad I bought a van before this ludicrously expensive first years duty went up!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Its around a grand difference agree having looked. I think the smaller cash difference and fundamentally lower emissions plus higher residual will move buyers more to the DSG as a new buy.
Anyway good that you have avoided all this.

Taxation is onerous on the motorist as an easy target. Osbourne was after a quick hit before he was ousted. As for the manual versions - it gives us the choice and up to each to make their own choice. In the greater scheme of things the first years tax is no big deal IMHO. Just try for bigger discount:)

Its around a grand difference agree having looked. I think the smaller cash difference and fundamentally lower emissions plus higher residual will move buyers more to the DSG as a new buy.
Anyway good that you have avoided all this.
I thought this is what it was all about a stab at the manual ...let me guess u own a dsg :) I bet you have led lights too ha ha sorry I couldn’t resist.

Taxation is onerous on the motorist as an easy target. Osbourne was after a quick hit before he was ousted. As for the manual versions - it gives us the choice and up to each to make their own choice. In the greater scheme of things the first years tax is no big deal IMHO. Just try for bigger discount:)
Your bang on digger ...choice is what it’s all about

I thought this is what it was all about a stab at the manual ...let me guess u own a dsg :) I bet you have led lights too ha ha sorry I couldn’t resist.

It wasnt actually, sensitive clearly, I did sense you were spoiling to make it so. Sure I have a DSG but I drive lots of manuals and generally prefer them however I need the 4 motion.The DSG isnt a great auto imo compared to a ZF for instance. Dont have LEDs or a chip come to that just a few facts.

Back