Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG ?

D

DirkSquareJaw

VIP Member
O.k,

We are hiring a 180 se with manual and usual xtras (priv glass,awning,mf steering,xeon etc)
The dealer has said he'd let us have it for 40k if we like it . It was reg'd last March and has 16,700 miles on the clock.

Ideally we would pref the DSG but the dealer said there has been loads of trouble with the autos and thats why he didn't order the hire van with said option ? I'm i smelling sales man BS here !?

First off is 40k reasonable (Northway van hire -Shipley.. by the way) for this milage and spec ?
Second...DSG woes ? I haven't heard of any and i've researched the Cali pretty well me thinks :help

Thanks for cont help folks.We really appreciate it !!!!!

Dan

Hi Dan

He's talking BS. In my humble opinion the DSG suits it better. I have more DSGs on fleet to manuals, on a 6:2 ratio. Never had an issue with a California DSG.

Before you make your mind up, get a drive of both.

And by the way I have 4 DSG Cali's for sale :thumb

I thought he might be. I'll take a look mate,although you're along way from Leeds.
However,its alot of money so if we like the hire experience we are prepared to travel to find the best deal. Is the price ball park at 40k or is that wiffy as well ?
I really need DSG as i have Cystic Fibrosis related joint pain/swelling..after the test in York last Sunday my knee was killing,hence the DSG thoughts.

Dan

We have not had any DSG issues with California's either.

Lovely gearbox.

cheers

I'm very pleased with my DSG and haven't heard of anyone having a problem.

Both are good gearboxes and both have their own issues to go with it ...

Hi,

We have a manual beach and a passat with DSG. Both me and my wife agree the DSG makes the journey way more pleasurable.
The passat is the first car my wife has driven with Auto by the way.

//Mart.

Love my DSG…had Volvo autos before and really love the VW DSG

I'm a lazy cow with two left feet.

Why should I have to stamp on a clutch pedal, fiddle around with a stick thing, crunch and grind my way around until finding the right slot, then stagger away again hopefully in the right gear.

I hired a manual 140 cali for a week. Manual is the operative word. The DSG works flawlessly, I can even brush my hair or do my lipstick whilst setting off from traffic lights. No contest.

GrannyJen said:

Why should I have to stamp on a clutch pedal, fiddle around with a stick thing, crunch and grind my way around until finding the right slot, then stagger away again hopefully in the right gear.

I hired a manual 140 cali for a week. Manual is the operative word. The DSG works flawlessly, I can even brush my hair or do my lipstick whilst setting off from traffic lights. No contest.

Watch out though Jen when pulling away from the lights whilst doing your hair etc.that you don't drop the gear selector into the sport slot :lol:

Alan said:
GrannyJen said:

Watch out though Jen when pulling away from the lights whilst doing your hair etc.that you don't drop the gear selector into the sport slot :lol:

I always put in sport. The one fault with the gear selector, difficult to change by feel alone. One has to look at the gear selector which totally interferes with applying ones mascara.

I wanted an Auto, as I've always had them, but bought a manual. This was down to impatience, nothing more, as a manual was sat winking at me.

After a settling in period, I have absolutely no issues in daily use, and quite enjoy driving the manual.

Obviously, you have a more pressing medical issue, but that aside, the van is fine in manual form.

Agreed Tim I am happy with my manual :thumb redress the balance :thumb

£40k for that mileage was OTT too.

Calikev said:
Agreed Tim I am happy with my manual :thumb redress the balance :thumb

+1. We had a DSG VW CC for a week and I really didn't like the box. It's slick but doesn't do what I want it to do and has a weird hesitation from standstill. It it does make life a fraction easier.

I like the very fine control of manual for stuff like getting on levelling ramps. Always like the T5 manual; the dash mount reminds me of the excellent Civic gearbox!

The car is auto though so not a complete Luddite.

I think some DSG boxes have been troublesome but not the one in the Cali.

has a weird hesitation from standstill

Glad you mentioned that Kernowlad, I was begging to think it was just my imagination ! It also tends to decide to go down a gear as pulling away at roundabouts, which is lethal here in Milton Keynes.

In stark contrast to many other aspects of my Cali, the dsg has never gone wrong. There is a slight hesitation when setting off, but this is common in turbo diesel auto cars.

The slight hesitation can be reduced by driving in sport mode. I tend to put into sport mode when setting off from rest in built up areas.

DSG is a must have in my opinion

I must admit I'm not quite ready to make the step to the manual/auto dsg box .... I'm sure its great and when I'm ready I'll know :)

I had a Caravelle 180 DSG for just over three years. Wonderful, no problems, don't be put off. I now have a 63 plate California 180 DSG and so far, it's really lovely. Absolutely no problems. Stick out for the auto box, in my opinion.

+1 from me.

Makes life so much easier when crawling round the M25 in start stop traffic and, as others have said, it appears to be the most reliable part of a T5.
I just hope that my new 140 Beach copes as well as the 180 does with the DSG box.
Also, you do have a certain amount of manual override on the DSG. I use this all the time at speeds below 50mph to coax the box into a higher gear and get better consumption............. I am Scottish!! #:)

Bill