Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Duvets: weights; sizes; silk

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Speaking as a seasoned camper who fidgets a lot at night, I hate sleeping bags. Can't stand being restricted and twisted-up. We're going to use duvets. But then issues come to mind:

1 We're wondering what weight of duvet people use in what season (given that they are normally used in houses I think different rules will apply for vans).
2. What size duvet is best to fit two people in the van? A single might be too small, but double too big and therefore more difficult to store.
3. I saw silk duvets at the NEC motorhome show this year. There were myriad miracle claims made, but they definitely seemed thinner which would help with storage. Has anyone got any views or experiences with silk duvets?

I use silk... at home

Lovely.

In a van? High loft polyester. Tough, reliable and washable forever. I also use an ovcrsized sleeping bag, I need to escape quickly as I often get leg cramps (too much running) and need to get my feet flat on a hard floor ASAP.

We have a 9 tog goose down king size, but if I was choosing again I would get double. It all (comfort mattress, Zonesleep and quilt) trifolds back onto the rear shelf very neatly. We are with you on preferring a quilt!

We always sleep downstairs and use a single 4.5tog duvet with sheets in the summer but last weekend in Edinburgh it felt a bit cool, so this weekend we are trying out our trusty big sleeping bags of old. If you use a duvet at home try that, it will give you some idea if you need bigger/smaller, thicker/thinner. Remember Calis are well insulated and snug, so what you use in winter will be different to summer especially if you go abroad.

GrannyJen, why silk at home? And, I'm afraid the oversize sleeping bags just mean I get a double twist around me.

Larkrise, a king must bunch-up at either end when tri-folded back. I was wondering whether to go 'single' rather than 'king'. Or, if we try to go for the gold medal, buy a double and then cut it. Anyone adapt a duvet?

T4WFA, the angry Rhod Gilbert didn't even get into width measurements and the benefits of silk. I can't imagine the tirade if he started on the torture of sleeping bags too?

Well with having goose down it does compress really well. I would definitely go sub-king size ... but got over ruled on that one!

Larkrise said:
Well with having goose down it does compress really well. I would definitely go sub-king size ... but got over ruled on that one!
Are goose-down duvets noisier though? I seem to remember having one in the past. As a fidget, I don't want to be waking-up the van.

Not for us.. I guess it could depend on the outer casing. Only disadvantage is the cost. We have one at home too & find them really comfortable.

I've sewn two double duvet covers together along the side edges to keep out drafts(with a gap on each side at the top to aid getting in and out. ) a 4 tog duvet folds up quite small and it's handy having built in base sheet , we add a lovely crochet blanket if it's a bit cooler.

1All seasons double size duvet from Argos and 3 Duvet covers. 1cover on the 4.5 tog duvet , 1 cover on the 9 tog duvet and 1 cover on the VW comfort mattress. Last night we slept with the 4.5 tog duvet underneath and the thick one on top. Lovely and warm. Storage wise we use vacuum storage bags and have a small vacuum cleaner that does the business and both duvets fit in the underbed draw.
Summer we'll swap the duvets around.
Happy Christmas to All.

I havn't tried a silk duvet but I might now I've heard of them so thanks for that. :thumb Judging just by clothing silk seems to be really good insulation, cool in summer and warm in winter. I hate duvets that are heavy or - not sure how to describe it, you'll know the type - inflexible. So this sounds perfect especially if they pack up small. Probably get two singles as OH steals duvet in middle of night.

Well, the veteran guide book and travel writer, the gobby granny, will be taking an all new combo with her to Scotland this week.

A new bed, blanket, duvet combination. Will report on my 10 day Scottish winter road test when I come back... although it will be biased to solo travellers.

We've tried a number of combinations and now use down duvets most of the year except height of summer as they pack up so much smaller than polyester. 13 tog double in roof bed, 11 tog king on lower bed (cali beach though) but I think a double may have been big enough but I've only tried it sharing with one of the children, might be different if 2 adults are fighting for their fair share!

In the summer we use 4 tog polyester single duvets as they take up very little space and we don't have to share with anyone when it's hot. I wouldn't want to use them later in the season though. It was quite cool in the Loire Valley this August and with the 4 tog duvets, summer pi's, we ended up having to use the parking heater as we were chilly!!

100% goose down. 13 tog. Double. Packs into a holdall with 2 large pillows and 2 small. We use all year round even on the continent in mid summer. Light enough to kick off if you get too warm. Expensive but money well spent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back