Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Early UK Cali owners?

My understanding was Westfalia started to coach build the first campers to their own early split screen then bay windows designs. Then the T25 - T3 and after that VW supplied Westfalia with blanks to be built at the Westfalia factory and then supplied direct to the end user by VW. Then the T4 late 2003 the Westfalia business stopped the production. Then VW ended their partnership and VW started to build their own version of what we now know today as the California SE.

But I maybe wrong!

I had a great 1974 M reg Westfalia 1700 auto twin carb Orange /white for over 10 years from new . Got the same as I paid for it when I sold . Big mistake ![/QUOTE]

It all went tits when Mercedes bought Westfalia. As a result VW had a conflict of interest so took the T4 design/layout and applied it to the T5.

Mine is a 2008 174 which I brought just over a year ago from the first owner. Here is the interesting bit...
I brought it with only 4300 genuine miles on the clock at 8 years old!!!
I expected issues due to lack of use, but apart from a couple of things which I solved by using this excellent forum it has been great so far (touching wood!!!).

It's now done 9000miles in a year so is at a massive mileage of just over 13000!!!

Both beds had never been slept in when I brought it!

Mine is a 2008 174 which I brought just over a year ago from the first owner. Here is the interesting bit...
I brought it with only 4300 genuine miles on the clock at 8 years old!!!
I expected issues due to lack of use, but apart from a couple of things which I solved by using this excellent forum it has been great so far (touching wood!!!).

It's now done 9000miles in a year so is at a massive mileage of just over 13000!!!

Both beds had never been slept in when I brought it!
Sounds like a really good van that you´ bought ´there.
I wouldn´t think you´d have issues being low milage.
You´ve got a good one :thumb

Mine is a 57 plate, Summer Blue (1 year only colour) registered in Jan 2008, which I have had from new. My kids have grown up with it, making family memories all over the UK and Europe. Won't be selling it any time soon! :)

Last edited:
Loving seeing all the vans on this thread. Ours is a 2007 174 on a 56 plate. We love it.

Seen here with inquisitive neighbours last week in Cornwall, and a white Ocean in the background.

cornwall.jpg

7FA19B64-4065-4AEB-AF1D-E7F254B5EC05.jpeg It is great to see the older generation Calis are still going strong.

Mine is a 58 plate 2009 with ‘only’ 56000 miles. I bought her when she was 8 months old and have had her for 8 years. I used her as a daily driver for a number of years but now use a car for work purposes.

She is ageing well, still looks great and drivers just as well as the day I got her.

Nice to read a thread about happy owners without even a mention of roof corrosion (and looking at the pics they all seem to still have a roof). Maybe us newbies fret too much!

What's the cut off reg for this thread? My 2010 is right in the middle I guess, it's not an early reg and it's not new.

It's the first year of facelift though

What's the cut off reg for this thread? My 2010 is right in the middle I guess, it's not an early reg and it's not new.

It's the first year of facelift though

I think in the VW Camper world, anything that is not classed as tax exempt qualifies as 'new'!!!

IMG_2127.JPG Here's ours, 2007 57 plate. 70k miles.
Bought 6 years ago off the original owner.
Cruise, climate, privacy glass, leather and 5th seat.
Use VW for service.
Just back from Brittainy and loving it.
We have a Roger Donaghue solar panel fitted now and it works really well.

Reactions: Sad
March 2008, owned since 2010. Just over 65000 miles. As far West as Portugal, South as Southern Spain, North as Cape Wrath (almost) and East as Prague. Longest over water trip was CorsicaP1180094 copy.JPG

Last edited:
Back