Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Edinburgh - concern over Park4Night App

Ah didn't realise the link you posted earlier referred to this :)

Some of them look like they could barely move and the owners have build little fences on the verge where they chop wood. I guess they must have MOT & insurance to be on the road though. Some of the bigger ones are converted horse boxes or trucks, could probably get a Cali inside.

Any idea about how many of these are genuine holiday makers?

From what described above sounds like a different community to most of us on this forum.

There is now a thriving community in worthing of parked vans, even caravans with steadies down, that have adopted residential rather than itinerant status. I can well understand how it creates a lot of anger.

As @soulstyledevon said, folks posting thoughtlessly on apps such as park4nite and S4S has basically blown away all the lovely secret and discreet hide-aways or urban locations where there are not yet restrictions in place.

There is now a thriving community in worthing of parked vans, even caravans with steadies down, that have adopted residential rather than itinerant status. I can well understand how it creates a lot of anger.

As @soulstyledevon said, folks posting thoughtlessly on apps such as park4nite and S4S has basically blown away all the lovely secret and discreet hide-aways or urban locations where there are not yet restrictions in place.

Hi @GrannyJen -- completely agree with both points but I am not sure they are linked. Travellers (who don't travel) vs holiday makers (who aren't travellers).

do you think park4night and s4s is relevant for the residential group? or just making it harder for the holiday makers?

Last edited:
Hi @GrannyJen -- completely agree with both points but I am not sure they are linked. Travellers (who don't travel) vs holiday makers (who aren't travellers).

do you think park4night and s4s is relevant for the residential group? or just making it harder for the holiday makers?

Sadly, yes.

"residential" campers and "touring" campers may have different motivations and objectives but sadly we are using the same patch of territory.

One of my regular parking places when I was visiting family in Lancashire now has enforcement notices all over it because of semi-residential people who managed to pick a nice spot that suddenly became ever so well known after appearing on S4S.

Again where I live a favourite place for windsurfers to overnight has now enforcement notices for the same reason.

Sadly this country has a problem with homelessness that a lot of people are now trying to resolve by living on 4 wheels parked up in places that once were the preserve of the overnight tourist. I condemn no one, except for the overall condemnation of the 6th richest country in the world being unable to care for it's least advantaged citizens.

Sadly, yes.

"residential" campers and "touring" campers may have different motivations and objectives but sadly we are using the same patch of territory.

One of my regular parking places when I was visiting family in Lancashire now has enforcement notices all over it because of semi-residential people who managed to pick a nice spot that suddenly became ever so well known after appearing on S4S.

Again where I live a favourite place for windsurfers to overnight has now enforcement notices for the same reason.

Sadly this country has a problem with homelessness that a lot of people are now trying to resolve by living on 4 wheels parked up in places that once were the preserve of the overnight tourist. I condemn no one, except for the overall condemnation of the 6th richest country in the world being unable to care for it's least advantaged citizens.

Yep, there will always be those who seek to exploit for their own ends. Nothing will ever stop that, but sadly I feel that the problem we face today goes a lot deeper than a few who exploit a need or a benefit.

I do wonder how much of our homeless crisis in hidden with people getting creative and living in vans etc. I see it all the time on motorhome forums, retired folks who are moving out of their homes and into their vans permanently to save money. You only need to search vanlife on youtube to see just how many folks are living full time on the road now a days.

I do wonder how much of our homeless crisis in hidden with people getting creative and living in vans etc. I see it all the time on motorhome forums, retired folks who are moving out of their homes and into their vans permanently to save money. You only need to search vanlife on youtube to see just how many folks are living full time on the road now a days.

and the other end of the spectrum Matt,

People starting out in life, leaving home, cannot get on the property ladder, cannot afford spiralling rents, trying to claw their way out of a low-wage economy strata: buying an old van or caravan is a quite viable alternative when you have nothing else.

I work with homeless people in Brighton, or support a charity that provides help and sustenance, but we now have another strata in society and not just those "sleeping in doorways". Something that only a reversal of a housing shortfall will ever avert.

Yes I follow a channel called the Indie Projects, the young folks live full time in a van and make films to pay for their lives. They now have land in Portugal as its more affordable. The one thing I can't escape though is what will they do when they are older, they will have no pension or property to fall back on (at least they have land).

There is a whole generation who are not looking beyond the next day because the opportunities for home ownership and careers are a lot more challenging than they were.

Last edited:
Yes I follow a channel called the Indie Projects, the young folks live full time in a van and make films to pay for their lives. They now have land in Portugal as its more affordable. The one thing I can't escape though is what will they do when they are older, they will have no pension or property to fall back on (at least they have land).

There is a whole generation who are only looking to tomorrow because the opportunities for home ownership and careers are a lot more challenging than they were.

This thread is now in danger of being seriously hijacked :shocked

I started to comment on a problem at the other end, property not being handed down through the generations but being used to pay for care support and dementia needs .... oh dear! Moderators! please moderate!

In this day and age wouldn't you think the signs would be
lit up with LED´s.
Once woke up to this sign o_O

It’s not particularly fair to single out that app, which I happen to like and guided us to decent paid stopovers every night on our recent trip to Eastern Europe.

However, judging by people’s attitudes on at least one free camping Facebook forum, I’m not surprised that there are complaints and agree that the most many will spend locally will be on diesel at a supermarket and food at Lidl or Aldi.

Being in France atm, I’m reminded of the wonderful network of free or inexpensive Aires and really feel it’s about time local councils in the UK became aware of the growing number of mohos and did the same, which would help to partially contain the problem.
I would totally agree. There really should be a shift in attitude in promoting camper vans/motorhomes within the U.K. we have outdated laws which arose back in the 80’s which helped to prevent the likes of CND protesters camping out in protest. It cannot be beyond the wit of man to set up parking areas/aires which are respectful of the cities, towns & citizens and which do help promote business locally. People would spend even if this were only a coffee or a baguette.. we are pretty much the only country in Europe which actively discourages campervans, which is probably why I personally always gravitate toward continental Europe for my holidays...

I would totally agree. There really should be a shift in attitude in promoting camper vans/motorhomes within the U.K. we have outdated laws which arose back in the 80’s which helped to prevent the likes of CND protesters camping out in protest. It cannot be beyond the wit of man to set up parking areas/aires which are respectful of the cities, towns & citizens and which do help promote business locally. People would spend even if this were only a coffee or a baguette.. we are pretty much the only country in Europe which actively discourages campervans, which is probably why I personally always gravitate toward continental Europe for my holidays...
Several car parks have done this in Tintagel, although I think they are on private land and one is a pub, National Trust should get on board as well, a lot of their properties have car parks which I am sure would not hurt to allow overnight parking even if just one night only with a visit to the property.