Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Edition Detailing

James

James

Top Poster
VIP Member
As some of you know in Europe they do an Edition Version of the Cali and the Beach

This is picture of one

url_zpsb7625f30.jpg

A couple of people on the forum have noticed the black detailing and decided that this could be applied to UK Cali's and Beaches.

So... I've decided to take my rather yellow Beach.

181010_10151536061682384_970269784_n-1_zpsf2655edd.jpg

And add some of the detailing which has resulted in this.

544659_10151541038367384_1662980820_n_zpsb720fff9.jpg

Front bumper which sidesteps the issue of spoilers, splitters and the such like.

525300_10151541040257384_1343622965_n_zpsb5a1856e.jpg

You'll notice I have not had the black detailing around the pillars pushed into the frame to give a seamless look as per the Edition Vans, this may change when I get the roof done.

483655_10151541039427384_392467455_n_zps983c21a4.jpg

555477_10151541040952384_310446027_n_zps6063a879.jpg

And finally the bottom lip of the tailgate

Which looks better than it does in the picture.

The Edition Vans sold in Europe are debadged and they actually have the name on the decal. I am not going that far but I feel this works well on a Yellow Van.

I did notice on SMG...

volkswagen-caravelle-minibus-148630324-640x480_zps0b4461f0.jpg

I have to say, i like this lol - should I? A nice mod and something different if it was applied to a Cali :)

James

Looks better James just breaks it up nicely :thumb :thumb

Calikev said:
Looks better James just breaks it up nicely :thumb :thumb

Colour coded mirrors next :)

There is another forum member doing this and i can't wait for them to break cover :)

:laugh2 you couldn't resist could you .... :laugh2
how many hours did you last .... :?: :?: 5 .... :lol: :lol:

choplee said:
:laugh2 you couldn't resist could you .... :laugh2
how many hours did you last .... :?: :?: 5 .... :lol: :lol:

I am a semi retired forum member Lee. But it takes a while to let go :).

James

Surely the post was worth it just for the Velle. How cool is that?

James said:
There is another forum member doing this and i can't wait for them to break cover :)

:hello

Hoping the vinyl will arrive tomorrow and that I can get it fitted this weekend.

shambly said:
James said:

:hello

Hoping the vinyl will arrive tomorrow and that I can get it fitted this weekend.

I didn't want to name you Shambly :)

I need to get the door pillars sorted but I'll get that done when I get the roof done are you going to offer sets?

It's a great mod, even just doing the front bumper.

James

So, following on from James, here is my take on the edition detailing, but with California SE as the text.

This is the new rear graphic I fitted today, which i'm rather pleased with.

rear.jpg

These are the side ones I fitted before the winter...

left.jpg

right.jpg

Can offer sets of vinyl (2 sides + rear), all precut, for £59 at CoTF if anyone is interested... (or custom colours / text for a little more). They are not difficult to fit...

Still working on the front...

Simon

I will be honest Simon I wasn't sure about the side graphic on its own but it works really well with tailgate font - maybe like the Editon vans de badge it?

I think the font is good and looks cool. That's really smart against the silver. Good price on the sets :).

Now the front bumper :).

As I said that looks smart the black against the silver.

James

So tempted to do something like this with mine!!

When I was looking around for a used Beach in October, there was an edition lookalike at a dealer in Birmingham or Leicester... probably now belongs to somebody on this forum!!

redredzimmer said:
So tempted to do something like this with mine!!

When I was looking around for a used Beach in October, there was an edition lookalike at a dealer in Birmingham or Leicester... probably now belongs to somebody on this forum!!

i copied the side decals for mine - obviously mine are a bit different. You've got a white van James, so you've got the perfect vehicle to do it.

At the time i thought about black wheels and a sportline splitter but I'm glad I didn't because I like what I've done with mine and it's a radical look that van remained on sale for a long time.

There has been some discussion on here about that van I think it ended up in a bit of a sorry state because it was for demo purposes and at some shows etc, could be wrong.

If your van was my van I'd certainly do the bumper infill.

James

Yes - love the in fill, how would these be achieved to a good standard??... Graphics, paint??

I might just give that a go!!... How long did it take you to do it??... Presumably you didn't cut the graphics on the Cali??

redredzimmer said:
I might just give that a go!!... How long did it take you to do it??... Presumably you didn't cut the graphics on the Cali??

I had mine done at UPG a graphics/print company in Kent - e mail them - tell them what you want - they do a proof then you take the Van down and they do it in a couple of hours.

I spent a lot of time on www.mobile.de looking at the Edition Vans and I sent the picture across to UPG.

James

I applied mine myself. I had them made pre-cut and pre-spaced on a clear application tape. You float them on the panel wet, squeegee them dry, wait an hour, then peel off the clear tape. The boot lid took me about 15 minutes to do today, after I'd cleaned the panel. Sides are straight-forward too.

Front less so due to compound curve and I suspect my final solution for this will be in several pieces to make self application possible. I'll do some more on that tomorrow.

Simon

shambly said:
I applied mine myself. I had them made pre-cut and pre-spaced on a clear application tape. You float them on the panel wet, squeegee them dry, wait an hour, then peel off the clear tape. The boot lid took me about 15 minutes to do today, after I'd cleaned the panel. Sides are straight-forward too.

Front less so due to compound curve and I suspect my final solution for this will be in several pieces to make self application possible. I'll do some more on that tomorrow.

Simon

Yours look good Shambly - I think if this can be offered to forum members that would be great :)

James

Looks good. Got the white Caravelle on our forecourt at the moment.

cheers

Regarding the front, Vinyl for the short fixed bib either side of the bumper works well, and I have these done with or without parking sensor circles.

bib.jpg

I'm currently thinking paint for the left and right cover panels, which pop off easily without tools.
I'm going to find out the cost of a new pair (Parts 7E5.807.489A and 7E5.807.490A) whilst seeing if they are easier to vinyl off the vehicle.

Simon

I've just left a set of new left and right cover panels with my friendly local bodyshop to paint in solid black to match the vinyl i've used for the rest of my detailing.

Panels were £27 each which didn't strike me as too bad considered they are already primed.

That leaves me my original silver panels to return my vehicle to stock in the future if required.

Hopefully have them on by the weekend, along with my summer wheels. More pictures then.

Simon

shambly said:
I've just left a set of new left and right cover panels with my friendly local bodyshop to paint in solid black to match the vinyl i've used for the rest of my detailing.

Panels were £27 each which didn't strike me as too bad considered they are already primed.

That leaves me my original silver panels to return my vehicle to stock in the future if required.

Hopefully have them on by the weekend, along with my summer wheels. More pictures then.

Simon
£27 each from your VW Dealer??

shambly said:

Simon

That sounds good Simon - can't wait for the pics.

James

redredzimmer said:
£27 each from your VW Dealer??

Yes, £23 + VAT each from my local VW dealer. Part numbers as per earlier post.

Same dealers body shop quoted over £200+VAT to paint, but i'm getting them done elsewhere for £50.

Simon

I picked up the two front fog lamp covers last night and they are now in place...

I'm very pleased with the final result.

In summary, I have:-
Black vinyl for rear tailgate, side stripes, and front bib either side of numberplate.
Black painted front fog light cover panels (kept my originals so can return to stock look).

I can offer the vinyl as a kit for £69 and could be persuaded to help apply them at CoTF. Should anyone want some, or some with different text / different colour, let me know ASAP.

Simon

ed_front.jpg

ed_f3q.jpg

ed_r3q.jpg

ed_side.jpg

ed_side_close.jpg

ed_rear_close.jpg

Looks the dogs wosits Simon. Nothing wrong with Silver but these little details transform it. I can see why they offer Edition Vans in Silver.

Big thumbs up - hopefully more people will consider this :).

James

Back