Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EGR cooler

Yikes!
Our Defender's 40k service was quoted at a rather comical £610. I got it done at an independent garage for £380.

I was talking about the replacement one which comes out in 2015 I think; looks awesome but no doubt will need deep pockets to run too.

How is the RR? I'd absolutely love one; proper loony V8 grunt, luxury interior, they look great.

Talking of nice cars, a Ferrari F12 queued next when we waited for the ferry; I spoke to the owner who was about 30ish; lucky git!

It is very good. Managed 21.1mpg over 1800 miles with bikes, three of us and with a lot of stuff in so overall quite good for what it is. Only went to the petrol station 5 times :lol:

smgcowfold said:
It is very good. Managed 21.1mpg over 1800 miles with bikes, three of us and with a lot of stuff in so overall quite good for what it is. Only went to the petrol station 5 times :lol:

But if it's reliable, the thirst pales into insignificance really. A Dieseasel may do 30/40/50/whatever mpg but that's a pile of horse poo if it needs a £1k EGR valve, a new DPF, new DMF, etc all the time.

The "cheap" diesel costs more to buy, sounds dreadful, runs out of puff at 4k rpm and throws a hissy fit due to the nonsense that chokes the engine and kills it.

Will hang onto the Cali for now but the next vehicle will NOT be a four cylinder diesel!

If it helps, my super reliable 5 cylinder 2.4D with no EGR, CAT or DPF has spent more time in pieces on the driveway that it has in one single piece in the engine bay this year :evil:

It's currently in pieces again, as the head gasket that was fitted when the engine was rebuilt has refused to form any kind of seal… Still, nice new VW one should be arriving on Friday, might even get the van running for the AO show later this month.

On the plus side, we are fixing it with nothing more than a hammer and some cable ties.

Oh, and 4k is the red line on the old girl :)

Bah.

KernowLad said:
smgcowfold said:

But if it's reliable, the thirst pales into insignificance really. A Dieseasel may do 30/40/50/whatever mpg but that's a pile of horse poo if it needs a £1k EGR valve, a new DPF, new DMF, etc all the time.

The "cheap" diesel costs more to buy, sounds dreadful, runs out of puff at 4k rpm and throws a hissy fit due to the nonsense that chokes the engine and kills it.

Will hang onto the Cali for now but the next vehicle will NOT be a four cylinder diesel!

Absolutely. Plus the tax is only £285 a year instead of £500 like the Disco was :thumb

They're struggling to find the fault; could be something electrical.

It's a weird one...

Well it's "fixed" - they think that the EGR valve did go but it also killed the sensor as it did so. TBH I'm not convinced but we shall see. If it goes again out of warranty (ends 15th September) I shall be having a right strop.

Anyway good on Carrs for persevering and fingers very crossed - at least we now have the much better, newer EGR valve. The older one, fitted to the 2.5 engines too, just wasn't right for the T5.1 and is troublesome. The newer one (not sure when it came out) is apparently much better.

Sorry but the EGR cooler and the valve are not the same as the 2.5. They are very different.

cheers

Hmmm, that doesn't fill me with confidence either (the dealer spouting BS)!
I'm into VW Customer Service; if anything goes wrong in the next year (ish) that's related to this issue, then I want it sorted under warranty even if the rules need bending.

Someone's getting back to me shortly to come up with a "solution" as I'm not at all convinced the issue has been resolved.

Anyway, hopefully all will be okay and we can enjoy the damn thing again!

I had a bit of a poke around, the egr cooler just cools the exhaust gas before it goes back into the combustion chamber to reduce nox, the valve then controls the flow of said gas. Its is v unlikey that its the same as the 2.5 because its a different engine, it does however do the same job.
The problem with air/gas flow related faults are that faults can be masked by sperious fault codes. for example a "low egr gas flow" could be an air mas meter fault or something as simple as a split hose (had that on another car).
It does sound like the dealer is trying to do the best by you but its not always the easiest thing to diagnose, unfortunatly the computer rarely points to the actual fault (most people think they do), it just gives you an area to start looking.

Yep "low gas flow" came up every time along with another fault which I can't remember.

Anyway, fingers crossed and you're right, they have definitely tried their best.

Yup "low gas flow" is a problem because it's low flow compared to what?? The only thing that measures gas flow into the engine is the mass air flow sensor (MAF) so when the ecu opens the egr valve for a period, it expects a certain flow od gas through it to do a certain job, if it doesn't do that job then it assumes a low flow. Now that low flow could just be an air intake leak because the intake system is loosing it upstream of the MAF. Of course low flow could also be an egr blocked !!
Diesel emission faults are tricky little buggers sometimes

Hmm - I'm really not sure!

Anyway it's back in but I DO have a really nice courtesy van this time:

Caravelle Executive with full leather!

It's a 140 DSG on a 14 plate with 1500 miles.
Mpg is definitely much better than our Cali but I really cannot stand the DSG box - it's already driving me slightly loopy! However stop/start (our Cali doesn't have it) works fine with it - on a manual it's a total PITA.

The leather looks great but does clash even more with the rather nasty plastics of the rest of the cabin.

It has a few weird spec omissions - no bluetooth or satnav, no electric folding mirrors.
But funky twin electric sliding doors are brilliant for child entertainment and it's very versatile

I like it overall!

Just curious, what do you find the problem with the DSG box is? or do you just prefer manual?

It's slow to up change; it takes too long to drop a gear when you floor it to overtake, it hesitates from a standstill, you need to look at it to see what "mode" you're in (maybe it becomes intuitive but with a manual, no need to look). It just feels like a fairly old auto box.

Not anti anti Auto; our last car (335d) had a reasonable auto box, out current car had a brilliant one; 8 speed ZF sport auto (M135i) which feels light years ahead.

The DSG box is certainly "easier" but my three experiences of them haven't been good.

I do like the rest of the van a lot though.

So why don't you use the Manual "Tiptronic" mode and manually change gear?

WelshGas said:
So why don't you use the Manual "Tiptronic" mode and manually change gear?

I have; it's better but then why not just have a manual?

So the DSG gives you the best of all worlds..

WelshGas said:
So the DSG gives you the best of all worlds..

A bad auto and a faux manual with no fine clutch control?
Worst of both IMO.

KernowLad said:
It's slow to up change; it takes too long to drop a gear when you floor it to overtake, it hesitates from a standstill, you need to look at it to see what "mode" you're in (maybe it becomes intuitive but with a manual, no need to look). It just feels like a fairly old auto box.

Not anti anti Auto; our last car (335d) had a reasonable auto box, out current car had a brilliant one; 8 speed ZF sport auto (M135i) which feels light years ahead.

The DSG box is certainly "easier" but my three experiences of them haven't been good.

I do like the rest of the van a lot though.
Yep you've found some of dsg problems. Manual mode is useless as ecu has last say as to what gear you should be in!

Well they still have it - at least three calls not returned then I was meant to pick it up yesterday having been told the electric loom has been replaced - but no call.

I have to say their communication is very poor - it's got me worried they've crashed it or something!

Or something:- Their changing the gear box and clutch for a DSG box.

Sorry couldn't resist.

But you are correct, very poor communication . Why do they never learn. A phone call and explanation can save so much heartache. :hello

WelshGas said:
Or something:- Their changing the gear box and clutch for a DSG box.

Sorry couldn't resist.

But you are correct, very poor communication . Why do they never learn. A phone call and explanation can save so much heartache. :hello

I would consider that to be sabotage… ;) :lol:

Wiring loom replaced, extensive testing - the light still came back on :headbang :headbang

Now being plugged directly into VW's head office (or something like that) for an on-line diagnosis.

In the meantime the nice Caravelle has been sold so it being swapped for a Golf. A manual golf - :mrgreen:

Sounds like technical are doing online diagnosis remotely to look at MVB's and see if they can see something.

Hope they get it sorted out soon for you.

cheers

Back