Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

petrol generator into EHU

My reason is to have a way of charging batteries on the journeys away from sites for weeks.
Don’t want solar as the rare metal mining is so ecologically damaging .
As is just existing unless a hermit ,

... and burning fossil fuels isn't?

I have one, used it with the Motor home at track days with the Westfield or when off grid. My mate had a patch of land which we used to go some Weekends but no EHU so was useful no issues with the RCCB, RCD or whatever you wish to call it. I did not need to earth it with a rod either.
Still have it but never use it, in fact its loaned out to a mate who's gone off for six months on his boat to run the washing machine.

I used to compete in hill climbs in a Westfield a few years ago! :) Great fun.

On one event (Gurston Down) a guy in a large camper fired up his Honda suitcase genny and was quite aggressively told to switch it off after a very short while. It really is massively antisocial in the company of others.

If you have space, then they are a great solutions for sure.

I used to compete in hill climbs in a Westfield a few years ago! :) Great fun.

On one event (Gurston Down) a guy in a large camper fired up his Honda suitcase genny and was quite aggressively told to switch it off after a very short while. It really is massively antisocial in the company of others.

If you have space, then they are a great solutions for sure.
Agree, I only used it when working on the car ready to go out on track.

Thanks all for the input .
I stand educated, corrected and chastised in equal measure!!

:cheers

There is a few ways but they all take materials to build them...First is a wind turbine...Not so good on non windy days...Then there’s a water wheel...Not so good when the river or stream dries up...Then there’s Tidal power ... This is perfect but our Government deems this too expensive even though here in Wales we have high and low tides every day regardless of season, wind or drought.
None of these methods is much good to the average person so we have to use what’s at hand. And at the moment that’s Petrol, Diesel, Battery and solar.....

Have had a quick search on here and cannot find anything definitive so.
I am considering getting an inverter genny to plug into the EHU socket. Anyone tried this? Successful?
Would the socket on the end of the cupboard work for kettles, laptops and fans? and finally, would the on board battery charger function properly to top up the leisure batteries?
Only musing on this and am considering solar too but for similar monies would also have a power source for the shed where I keep my etchings!
Mummy. Kettle? I doubt it. First you need a large generator and second, if I remember correctly, the van 13 amp sockets are rated well below 13 amps. You'd need to match a kettle to the rating of the van wiring. I'm sure you have a good reason for considering a generator. Long term wild camping? Anyway, I'm sure others will have advised but you need a good quality generator or you'll stuff your electronics. I speak from bitter experience. Hooked up a 2.8kw Homelite to my central heating during a power cut. All worked well but mysteriously, a month later, bad to replace all the electronics.
BTW I'd be bloody irritated if anyone fired up a Jenny near me in a campsite or wild camping.

Currently on a campsite where some total fuckwit has fired up a genny for the last 2hrs...
This campsite is back to basics, no electric.
Eventually another camper has had a word and it’s off.

But I wonder why some people camp, if they can’t do without a few things for a few days...???

Last edited:
Back