Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EHU problem on T5 5.1 SE

K

Ken Barlowned

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Ok so I’m certain that ou2013 California SE is not charging the leisure batteries whilst on EHU. I have been charging from the mains at home for around 15 hours and the battery level this morning was where I left it yesterday. As soon as I unplugged the cable and started the heater my levels dropped to 30%.

Strangely they seem to accepting charge from the engine as when I run it I notice the levels raise after a short while.

This actually fits with a confusing incident where our fridge stopped working after a few days in holiday last year even whilst we were on EHU. It eventually began working again after a short drive

Is there a fuse between the batteries and the EHU perhaps? Three pin is working so power is getting through, just not to the batteries.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Ok so I’m certain that ou2013 California SE is not charging the leisure batteries whilst on EHU. I have been charging from the mains at home for around 15 hours and the battery level this morning was where I left it yesterday. As soon as I unplugged the cable and started the heater my levels dropped to 30%.

Strangely they seem to accepting charge from the engine as when I run it I notice the levels raise after a short while.

This actually fits with a confusing incident where our fridge stopped working after a few days in holiday last year even whilst we were on EHU. It eventually began working again after a short drive

Is there a fuse between the batteries and the EHU perhaps? Three pin is working so power is getting through, just not to the batteries.

Any ideas gratefully received.
Do you have the Plug symbol on the Control Panel when plugged into the Mains?

Do you have the Plug symbol on the Control Panel when plugged into the Mains?

Yes & the 12v three pin is working seemingly without issue (even when the batteries are cutting off the fridge).

Have you checked the trip switches in the cupboard in the back wardrobe / cupboard?

Have you checked the trip switches in the cupboard in the back wardrobe / cupboard?

Yeah. That was one of the first things I thought of. Nothing doing there though unfortunately

plug it into the mains and put a multimeter on the leisure batteries to see if they are recieving current

It could be the IEC mains plug into the battery charger has vibrated out a little and is no longer powering the charger.

The location of the charger changed around 2013/14 from under the fridge to above the rear battery. If the latter it is very easy to check. If the former, more of a pain as access is via the left-hand kitchen cupboard.

Alan

It could be the IEC mains plug into the battery charger has vibrated out a little and is no longer powering the charger.

The location of the charger changed around 2013/14 from under the fridge to above the rear battery. If the latter it is very easy to check. If the former, more of a pain as access is via the left-hand kitchen cupboard.

Alan
The only thing is when that happened to me I did't get the Plug Symbol on the Control Panel.

On my way to screwfix to buy a multimeter.
One other possibility is the 50 amp Cube fuse, located on the Red +tve pole of the rear leisure battery might have blown ( I believe it has been upgraded to 75amp on later vehicles ). If that is the case you are only running on 1 Leisure Battery.
This could have been ongoing for a while and the Front Leisure battery has been taking all the strain.

One other possibility is the 50 amp Cube fuse, located on the Red +tve pole of the rear leisure battery might have blown ( I believe it has been upgraded to 75amp on later vehicles ). If that is the case you are only running on 1 Leisure Battery.
This could have been ongoing for a while and the Front Leisure battery has been taking all the strain.

I just tested this battery and it’s showing good charge I might do this though. Is there a way to tell if the cube fuse has gone?

Use your meter and test the fuse for continuity is the leisure battery voltage higher once plugged into the mains

The fuse is on the rearmost battery. On the positive terminal, you will see a square ceramic block. That is the fuse.

Check for 12 volts between the top of the fuse on the +ve pole and -ve pole of the battery. If 12v then the fuse is fine.

Hope that helps.

Alan

Use your meter and test the fuse for continuity is the leisure battery voltage higher once plugged into the mains
If the charger is working the terminal voltage on the batteries should 14.6vDC when on charge. The control panel will show this and you can check, as Calikev has said, across the terminals of the batteries.

Alan

No change at all when plugged in. Have tested both batteries and they read 12.24 both on and off the EHU. Have tested on the wire above the fuse and on the terminals and it’s identical so I don’t think it’s the fuse.

Back