Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric Cookers

Whats the power consumption to run this hob? Can't find the specs on the website
Hi @Corradobrit
Please hopefully see below a screenshot from the Assembly & Instructions booklet.
My tests with a through plug-in current consumption thingy showed similar.
Hope this helps.
Andy

6EB898CD-1826-463C-AB62-8083A1AB40C9.png

Vango double sizzle induction hob. Club shop. 74.99. Induction is the future! So tiny. We cook outside van with it all the time on hook up. Take a couple of pans from home. No flames. V safe. We love it.
Won't do ridge monkey tho' as that's aluminium.

Vango double sizzle induction hob. Club shop. 74.99. Induction is the future! So tiny. We cook outside van with it all the time on hook up. Take a couple of pans from home. No flames. V safe. We love it.
That does look good but as said on top of the cooker we would need to change pots and pans which we don't really want to do. We aren't OCD on packing but everything does have it's place and the nesting set of dixies saves an awful lot of space; no pots and pans will stack/store like they do!!

I've actually been looking at single ceramic hobs which look pretty good for around £45. They heat up quickly. Having said that if Mrs Norfolk Jim decides to change 'her' pantry/cupboard I'll be after an induction hob :rolleyes:

Have induction hob in the house and much prefer it to gas.

Can't decide on a single or double Vango sizzle.

We have something like this:
8316dc4282c2a4392f566c1930a8c05d.jpg

£15.99 from B&Q

Rememeber that a 2000w induction hob runs at 0 or 2000w, nothing in between. Its just going on and off, boiling eggs on setting 3 of 10 the eggs boils for 3 seconds, then no boil for 7 seconds, boil for 3 etc. I personally like gas much better for ccoking since you can adjust power properly. I get if you are away for a long time, but why not a Primus Tupike with refillable bottle?

If you’re considering an induction stove, as others say, the type of cookware is important. The pans need to be steel based, so some popular brands won’t work (Ridge Monkey for example). Also, some Camping pans such as the Outdoor Revolution and Outwell folding pans may not work as their steel bases deform when hot, and the base needs to be perfectly flat for induction to work.

We use a Campingaz Partygrill 400 for outdoor cooking, using the 907 bottle, of which we carry 2 including the one in the we van. So far we’ve had no issues getting refills, and one bottle does us for an entire season on camping with 90% outdoor use, and mostly using it to boil up pans etc.

However. I do get the point of using EHU if you have it, and we see other campers using George Foreman type grills more often these days.

If you’re considering an induction stove, as others say, the type of cookware is important. The pans need to be steel based, so some popular brands won’t work (Ridge Monkey for example). Also, some Camping pans such as the Outdoor Revolution and Outwell folding pans may not work as their steel bases deform when hot, and the base needs to be perfectly flat for induction to work.

We use a Campingaz Partygrill 400 for outdoor cooking, using the 907 bottle, of which we carry 2 including the one in the we van. So far we’ve had no issues getting refills, and one bottle does us for an entire season on camping with 90% outdoor use, and mostly using it to boil up pans etc.

However. I do get the point of using EHU if you have it, and we see other campers using George Foreman type grills more often these days.
with electricity costs soaring, campsite will either raise the flat daily fee for EHU or charge you a basic/connection fee and some money per kW of use.

We have something like this:
8316dc4282c2a4392f566c1930a8c05d.jpg

£15.99 from B&Q

That's one of the things I considered but have now bought the small ceramic one from B&Q for £29.99

I agree - that's bound to happen
with electricity costs soaring, campsite will either raise the flat daily fee for EHU or charge you a basic/connection fee and some money per kW of use.
. Our existing camper has only one v large battery for engine start and habitation but it is really good and when parked up all that will use electricity are the lights and phone charging; the fridge is 3 way 12v driving/240 EHU or gas so we can actually last around a week off grid without starting engine to charge battery and obviously have enough gas - having said that the fridge uses very little

I agree - that's bound to happen

. Our existing camper has only one v large battery for engine start and habitation but it is really good and when parked up all that will use electricity are the lights and phone charging; the fridge is 3 way 12v driving/240 EHU or gas so we can actually last around a week off grid without starting engine to charge battery and obviously have enough gas - having said that the fridge uses very little
Even more a case in favor of a gas cooker, rather than electric. With an electric stove you will become dependent from EHU, no more off grid, unless you invest some serious cash in proper size batteries + inverter.

Even more a case in favor of a gas cooker, rather than electric. With an electric stove you will become dependent from EHU, no more off grid, unless you invest some serious cash in proper size batteries + inverter.
Yes I know this but the reason for small electric was in case we're unable to get a second cylinder refill before we get onto Outer Hebrides otherwise all would be fine. I single ring cooker means it could go anywhere in the van and might save some prep space :)

We use an induction 2 ring hob but I am very tempted to ditch it for the traditional two ring cast iron hob which they have in our local Lidl (£26.99). Reason is that as the surface of the induction hob is glass, pots and pans are very prone to sliding off unless the unit is completely level. We’ve lost a few fry ups over the years! Do others experience this? Pots and pans tend to stay put on the old fashioned hobs as they have more grip. However the heavy cast hobs tend to take longer to cool down snd are more difficult to keep clean.

I have one very similar to this and it works well. I have a 1,600 watt Victron inverter and 240AH of Lithium batteries and no issues at all off grid as well. I also have a nice and compact electric BBQ that uses 1,200 watts for grilling steaks, fish, etc. I almost never use propane in the van at all and prefer to use electric for everything. To do that properly you need either EHU or a good setup of batteries, inverter and solar to get the job done. Winter could be a challenge with the solar, but having a "charge booster" helps to charge the leisure batteries from the alternator quickly.

That said, my mechanic/garage is working with VW Germany to modify the software for the VW BMC module so that we can bypass the need completely for a charge booster and take advantage of the full 170Amps or so the alternator can put out to charge them even faster if required.
We have a 2 KWh Bluetti all-in-one battery and inverter unit, charged by a 200W foldable solar panel that takes in around 35 watts ph, even when cloudy. It can also be charged via a 12v cigarette lighter port when driving, giving around 72 watts per hour this way. We have used a plug-in induction hob on this along with kettle, toaster, the usual lights and laptops etc - all with no issues and more importantly no need for gas in the van, which was important to us.I recommend the move to electric clean energy and best of all it's FREE and we never need a hok up which we have found are often £5 extra per night!

We’ve also got the vango camping pans that work on the induction hob

We use an induction 2 ring hob but I am very tempted to ditch it for the traditional two ring cast iron hob which they have in our local Lidl (£26.99). Reason is that as the surface of the induction hob is glass, pots and pans are very prone to sliding off unless the unit is completely level. We’ve lost a few fry ups over the years! Do others experience this? Pots and pans tend to stay put on the old fashioned hobs as they have more grip. However the heavy cast hobs tend to take longer to cool down snd are more difficult to keep clean.
That's another downside that I don't like about electric hobs. They keep remaining hot for quite a while after switching them off. If you want to to have a quick meal and head off, sometimes you need to wait for the thing to cool down first. More often though the biggest inconvenience, for my use at least, is that once my meal is cooked and I serve it on the dishes I have a hot pot/pan that I need to leave somewhere and can't place it back on the hot hob as it will keep cooking or burning what is inside the pot, food or rest of it. With a gas hob when it's off... it's off, I can place the pot right back on the hob, no issue.

Tefal induction job for us. Was About £70.

Cooks anything on about 3 amps.

You need appropriate pans though.
Yep and us, I also now use it for smelly food at home

Advice please on electric cookers.

We are going to be on Outer Hebrides for couple of weeks soon and with 907 refills getting like hens teeth we are looking at the option of small electric cookers for where we have hook-up. I'm no electrician but understand volts x amps = watts so if on 10 amp EHU max wattage cooker is going to be around 2.3kW.

I've not yet bought my first Cali (yes I know still looking but hoepfully soon the right one will come up) and so have a 3 way Dometic fridge which obviously when off grid uses gas to operate. Therefore thinking always using EHU when avilable to save on gas.

Don't want to spend a fortune but any good suggestions???? Even the small gas bottles used in portable cookers are seemingly thin on thr ground!
we have used this on a few trips you can do everything in it, pies, stir fry’s, sausages…. ‘Tefal easy fry and grill’

5A9FB744-A337-4C9C-8013-EE430F74F5C6.jpeg

Re gas, we carry a spare Campingaz cylinder (901) for use with a Cadac BBQ in the summer, which comes in handy if the 907 runs out (as it did the other day). But now we've got a replacement 907, which should last us about a year, we'll instead take a small gas camping stove with a little cylinder to use as a back-up. If you've got a Trangia, why not just take that as a back-up?
Also, in the Outer Hebrides we found that lots of campsites have a campers' kitchen with cooking facilities, so you might manage with that instead.