ELECTRIC DOOR - WARNING!

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
We have just spent a week wild camping and using Brit stop sites. With overnight temperatures just above freezing and a lot of “shut the door, it’s b....... freezing”, the electric door had a lot of over use which resulted in - you’ve guessed it – a flat battery, and a Cali that wasn’t going anywhere soon. Stuck in a remote location with no mobile phone reception because the Dorset sea fog had enveloped us, I was very happy that it only took the RAC one hour to reach us.

Lessons learned:

Switch to manual door mode! - if parked up, even for just one night, you can flatten the battery with an electric side door.
Know your radio code! – a flat battery leads not only to no radio, but also to no sat nav, and no on-board computer. Have a map on-board!
Have RAC breakdown cover! – ours was included in the VW warranty but as the RAC run VW Transporters themselves, our guy certainly knew the vehicle inside out. He was brilliant, not only did he jump start us – obviously not too difficult – but he had ways of getting the required radio code, something I understand is not that easy to obtain, especially as the supplying dealer had not recorded it on the system.

I found this out last year as well - only took 2 days to flatten it completely although our pioneer head unit worked fine after a jump start from the friendly site owner.
As you say switching the door to manual is vital if not on hook up, we won't make the same mistake this weekend.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

On the dash there are two buttons for the door-the top one opens and closes the door while the second button below it turns the electric function on and off.

Think you may have another problem re the door....in my 15 months of travels I never had a battery issue with the electric door....despite constant use...

Haven't people commented before that using the radio when stationary that the satnav runs the battery down?

Les said:
Haven't people commented before that using the radio when stationary that the satnav runs the battery down?

I think that's what ran ours down. Luckily there was enough of a slope to bump start it!

No it definitely runs off the engine battery

I really can't understand a campervan with an electric slider.
This has to be one of VW worst ideas yet...!!!

When parked up with the engine switched off and the radio on, our Cali does keep informing us that it will turn it off to protect the battery. If we don't flick the ignition on and off, it does so.Surely the battery should have enough energy to enable us to chill to a couple of hours of sounds before giving up the will to live,or do we have to have the engine running, and suriously wee wee off our neighbours Whats your experience?

Soulstyle said:
Each to their own....I love the electric door myself and wouldn't be without it.
Apart from when the battery goes flat of course!

hate it , hate it, hate it

we have also had a flat battery because of it just last week and why is the god damn buzzer so loud? wakes up the whole campsite when you go for a midnight pee , it think it is perfect on a caravelle etc but not a camper van.

Soulstyle said:

That's because of its Multivan/Caravelle roots. Electric sliding doors are available and often make sense on Multivans/Caravelles.

I don't think it's a bad idea, you have to remember the California inherits much of the equipment and options of a Multivan/Caravelle.

James

James said:
Soulstyle said:

That's because of its Multivan/Caravelle roots. Electric sliding doors are available and often make sense on Multivans/Caravelles.

I don't think it's a bad idea, you have to remember the California inherits much of the equipment and options of a Multivan/Caravelle.

James
Many taxi drivers use caravelles and I can see why they would like an electric sliding door. What I can't understand is why VW hasn't added the option to power this and the radio from the leisure batteries. Considering the overall complexity of a Cali conversion it's not out of the question

Does anybody know how to turn off the door on a pre face lift Cali (56 plate) as I cannot see the earlier mentioned switch on the dash?

beardie said:
James said:
Soulstyle said:

James
Many taxi drivers use caravelles and I can see why they would like an electric sliding door. What I can't understand is why VW hasn't added the option to power this and the radio from the leisure batteries. Considering the overall complexity of a Cali conversion it's not out of the question

Twofold probably. Firstly the sliding door works off all the other systems in the van so like the radio although not impossible it's probably more straightforward to have it run off the main battery. Secondly the California maybe a VW conversion but it is still a conversion and it inherits all the parts of the Multivan Would it really be worthwhile for VW to develop a separate system for a nice model? Probably not, I hear your argument and I agree to some extent but when there is a simple off switch, isn't that more straightforward?

Beach owners don't even get the power latching as standard so we are further step down. Personally if i had a Velle I'd like the power doors, on a Cali probably not. It's telling perhaps that VW fit power doors as standard on a Velle Executive but they remain a cost option on Calis

James

but they remain a cost option on Calis

So people PAY for this?? Oh it gets better :laugh2 :laugh2 :laugh2 :laugh2

S

James said:
beardie said:
James said:
Soulstyle said:

James

Twofold probably. Firstly the sliding door works off all the other systems in the van so like the radio although not impossible it's probably more straightforward to have it run off the main battery. Secondly the California maybe a VW conversion but it is still a conversion and it inherits all the parts of the Multivan Would it really be worthwhile for VW to develop a separate system for a nice model? Probably not, I hear your argument and I agree to some extent but when there is a simple off switch, isn't that more straightforward?

Beach owners don't even get the power latching as standard so we are further step down. Personally if i had a Velle I'd like the power doors, on a Cali probably not. It's telling perhaps that VW fit power doors as standard on a Velle Executive but they remain a cost option on Calis

James
I was more thinking that leisure battery power does to the rear lights, fridge, inverter etc. so the rear door shouldn't be a problem. The radio is a standard T5 thing so it's more understandable. Heard of Cali owners ripping their awnings off while using powered doors

Having just spent a fab weekend surrounded by many Vdub vans of all generations, it became clear that the sound of a van side door sliding open/shut is part of the ambiance of camping.
I'm sure there are many bobble hats out there that could identify the various different vans from this sound.

Obviously an electric Cali door doesn't count. :lol:

S.

Sorry if I am being thick but are you talking about a totally electric sliding door? ie does it slide itself shut at the push of a button?

if so that does seem a bit OTT...

We have a pre-facelift Cali and it has the electric push shut -assist thing at the end of the travel of the door (and the rear boot). This seems great to me and while it makes a little noise when sneaking out for a pee in the night, it is better than the old SLIIIIIDE CLUNK! noise I used to have on my old T2

so we won't have battery problems will we? It's not been a problem on a two-night no hookup so far...

Cavilln said:
Sorry if I am being thick but are you talking about a totally electric sliding door? ie does it slide itself shut at the push of a button?

Yep, just like in 'Star Trek'. It also beeps loudly as it closes so everyone else on site knows you've been out for a pee.

Rob.

Cavilln said:
if so that does seem a bit OTT...

quote]

Like the electric roof......? :lol: