Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric folding mirrors

• Thread starter California Dreamin
  • Start date
Been asked before. Conclusion was it is not possible on T5. Ther is no option in the software.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Could be on the T6 though.
Might be worth asking your dealer if they know if it is an option available on the computer.

I did a search before asking the question and something came up about a third party box one could plug in. Not ideal on a new van. Strange they do not just code this as no apparent downside from doing so.

Please forgive a brief venting:
I haven't had vw before but they appear to have a strategy of withholding some very useful things for no apparent commercial gain - another topical example being their not yet having a part number for the dealer activation to retro enable app connect on the Discover Media unit (despite the dash message to the contrary). No hardware needed. Available on the same head unit on passenger cars - but no sign yet 6 months on on their commercial vehicles. VW are a funny lot (but they do make a lovely van).

But miffed as I added this as an option assuming it was linked to locking up. How is it activated? A switch somewhere?

The mirror knob on the driver's door has four positions: Left, Right (adjust), Heat and fold. It works by turning and as a joystick to adjust when in L or R position. The mirrors fold (or rather rotate) very slowly. I need to learn some patience.

• Agree
Reactions: DM
another topical example being their not yet having a part number for the dealer activation to retro enable app connect on the Discover Media unit (despite the dash message to the contrary). No hardware needed. Available on the same head unit on passenger cars - but no sign yet 6 months on on their commercial vehicles. VW are a funny lot (but they do make a lovely van).

Agreed - my van is a dealer demo with an odd bod spec, I have the 6.33" satnav but they didn't tick the £114 App Connect box so no CarPlay for me either until they deem fit to release it as an aftermarket accessory part number ...

I can't help but feel that VW could modify the software code to include this feature.

The mirror knob on the driver's door has four positions: Left, Right (adjust), Heat and fold. It works by turning and as a joystick to adjust when in L or R position. The mirrors fold (or rather rotate) very slowly. I need to learn some patience.

My offside mirror rotated very quickly.....

when a bus hit it :shocked

Looks like the forum on this link did resolve it for the T5.1.Have a scan through the recent posts...

Folding mirrors on the 5.1s and 6s looks very impressive but I doubt it does much to reduce the width of the van.

Folding mirrors on the 5.1s and 6s looks very impressive but I doubt it does much to reduce the width of the van.
True but it may save them getting clipped when parked and it's also a good visual indication you've locked the car :)

I feel they my reduce the width more than you might expect.

6cd2729bacec668a3c339bc6a70af75c.jpg

On hayling Island there is a 2 metre width restriction (unverified). I can squeeze through with my wing mirrors folded but not with them open. If each side saves just 75mm (3 inches) that is a 15cm width reduction, 6.5% of the overall width.

Of course the actual saving needs verification, but I feel you might be surprised. Also note that the wing mirrors are not fixed at the widest point of the van body.

Last edited:
They only fold on the door adjustment/ heater/fold button for me. Reduce the width for sure. I use 6’6” width restricted lanes as folded up we are within that width, mirrors out then a bit over. Yet to be challenged on this though..
I only came on here to bemoan the fact that the whole mirror doesn’t ‘break’ back if knocked like any other vehicle I’ve driven.
I’ll wager whole mirror assemblies are a big seller ..

Last edited:
A quick measure and I reckon it’s about 100mm reduction per side when folded..... now all I need do is remember to fold them!

Does anyone know where you can get a mod for the folding mirrors to make them auto fold when locking?
Press hold the lock door fob if this does not work then possibly have it coded.

Does anyone know where you can get a mod for the folding mirrors to make them auto fold when locking?
Hi California Dreaming

+1 for press and hold key fob I think all T6 with folding mirrors should do the press and hold the lock button to fold the mirrors

To answer your original question, If it can coded the guys at
Hazy Days (in Markyate) or
Satnav systems (chertsey)
Would be able to assist
Both very capable

The difference in width enables me to get the van in my garage. Just have to remember to fold the mirrors before driving in!

Comes in very handy on tight country roads by us, especially if you have a builders van / flat bed truck coming towards you with similar height mirrors (cars are not an issue as your mirrors will be higher)

Just tried mine for the first time after 3 months ownership and it worked. Thanks a million.

This puts the front windows up on many models as well. Hold the lock button down on the remote, mirrors rotate and windows close. Does the opposite on unlock, useful for getting a bit of cool air in the Cali before you get in on hot days.

The difference in width enables me to get the van in my garage. Just have to remember to fold the mirrors before driving in!
They (the 5.1's mirrors and the 6's) don't let you do this though!
(I need daily access to the door on the right). Ideal storage as its a covered passageway...keeps the weather and tree debris off it, but allows it to dry out.

IMG_20190923_155307.jpg

Do you not just hold the lock button on the key and they fold when you lock it ? Mine do
Genius! I picked my new Cali 6 up today and wondered why they didn’t fold automatically. Just nipped out and tried holding the lock button - et voila! Thanks

Back