Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric hook up in France

Kingpopsy

Kingpopsy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi guys,
Is the electric hook up in France the same as the UK. Or, do I need an adapter please. Also on a separate note. How long does a gas bottle last? Any ideas

Hi guys,
Is the electric hook up in France the same as the UK. Or, do I need an adapter please. Also on a separate note. How long does a gas bottle last? Any ideas
Did you not get a 2 pin Continental adapter with the vehicle?

As far as the 907 gas bottle. I’m not being funny, but how long is a length of string? It does really depend on how much cooking, tea/coffee you make.
Campingaz is easy to buy in France, most campsites and supermarkets + many other places. A full bottle will easily last 3/4 weeks with quit heavy usage.

Sweet, we've d
Ah that’s the mystery! Nearly all the campsites in mainland Europe we’ve been to use the same 3 pin plug as us, but only time I’ve needed the 2 pin adaptor was in France. The other French site we went to had the regular 3 pin. So best take the adaptor with you just in case.
We’ve had about 30 nights away over 10 months and cooked / made coffee many times per day and still on our first 907 - so a fair while.
swee
Ah that’s the mystery! Nearly all the campsites in mainland Europe we’ve been to use the same 3 pin plug as us, but only time I’ve needed the 2 pin adaptor was in France. The other French site we went to had the regular 3 pin. So best take the adaptor with you just in case.
We’ve had about 30 nights away over 10 months and cooked / made coffee many times per day and still on our first 907 - so a fair while.
Sweet, we've not been away that many nights. Also France are bound to sell gas. Thanks

We always carry a French / German adaptor cable as the type used on a site (or aire) is totally unpredictable. Also be aware that polarity is just as unpredictable as with the French electrical systems it seems irrelevant.

French sites (and aires where there is an EHU) often have the outlets a long way from some plots so have at least a 25m cable available to be reasonably sure of being able to connect up.

Rod

We always carry a French / German adaptor cable as the type used on a site (or aire) is totally unpredictable. Also be aware that polarity is just as unpredictable as with the French electrical systems it seems irrelevant.

French sites (and aires where there is an EHU) often have the outlets a long way from some plots so have at least a 25m cable available to be reasonably sure of being able to connect up.

Rod

How do you sort out the polarity issue please?

not sure I understand how this matters with AC --

Use a Test Plug in the Mains socket on the Kitchen. If you have Reversed Polarity then you can either change the wiring around on your Blue Plug on your lead or fit a Reversed Polarity Extension.

You can make or purchase a short adaptor lead with the live and neutral crossed.

I'm not certain how the internal mains wiring is connected on a Cali, if there is an isolation transformer then reversal does not matter.

Many campers have a reversal warning light, I have. However as I always removing appliances from the socket when not in use and my only other mains item being the leisure battery charge unit I don't worry much about reversals.

It's not so much that the supply is AC it's that we in the UK consider the 'neutral' to be at earth (ground) potential and usually only switch (disconnect) the 'live'. You can see the obvious danger of a reversal in this instance.

Rod

Reverse polarity means that the neutral line would be switched on/off leaving live line continuously on.
The simple 'Tourist' French plug to UK 3 pin type adaptor commonly available reverses the polarity so beware if using one.

You can make or purchase a short adaptor lead with the live and neutral crossed.

I'm not certain how the internal mains wiring is connected on a Cali, if there is an isolation transformer then reversal does not matter.

Many campers have a reversal warning light, I have. However as I always removing appliances from the socket when not in use and my only other mains item being the leisure battery charge unit I don't worry much about reversals.

It's not so much that the supply is AC it's that we in the UK consider the 'neutral' to be at earth (ground) potential and usually only switch (disconnect) the 'live'. You can see the obvious danger of a reversal in this instance.

Rod
On AC, the two lines are live.
So if you cut one line, the other line is still live, even if it's the blue (N) line.
And how do you only disconnect one line? Do you put a switch on every electricity cable?
If you plut something in, there is electricity. If you unplug it, there won't be no more electricity.

The main fuse (in the back on the left) cuts both lines at once.

On DC it is another story. Then you need to cut the live line (in your car, ground is brown, the live line is mostly red, or yellow, or another color, or a combination of colors).

AC has both lines live.

On AC, the two lines are live.
So if you cut one line, the other line is still live, even if it's the blue (N) line.
And how do you only disconnect one line? Do you put a switch on every electricity cable?
If you plut something in, there is electricity. If you unplug it, there won't be no more electricity.

The main fuse (in the back on the left) cuts both lines at once.

On DC it is another story. Then you need to cut the live line (in your car, ground is brown, the live line is mostly red, or yellow, or another color, or a combination of colors).

AC has both lines live.
You need to refresh your knowledge on AC Mains Live, Neutral and Earth wiring.

sorry, I still don't understand.

if polarity is reversed on the alternating current at a french campsite, but all I am doing is charging my leisure battery, does it matter????

I don't even understand what you mean by polarity in AC when it's alternating?? as don't both positive and negative cycle from +240v to -240v in antiphase?

sorry if I'm being dumb or over thinking this....

It doesn’t matter as the Cali has a dual rcbo so the breaker will trip if you get between either pole and earth. Its done like this to guard against reverse polarity.

Hi @Loz -- are you saying if reversed polarity on socket then it just won't work?

thanks

sorry, I still don't understand.

if polarity is reversed on the alternating current at a french campsite, but all I am doing is charging my leisure battery, does it matter????

I don't even understand what you mean by polarity in AC when it's alternating?? as don't both positive and negative cycle from +240v to -240v in antiphase?

sorry if I'm being dumb or over thinking this....
It matters if you are connecting any electrical appliance as if it has an on/off switch then that only breaks one wire line. Reverse polarity has the live supply coming in through the neutral wire into the appliance and out through the Live line. The switch is in the Neutral line in a reverse polarity scenario and when that is switched off Live power is inside the appliance still up to the switch. ie the switch stops live getting out instead of into the appliance.
This isn't a problem if appliances are unplugged when not in use.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Loz
Hi guys,
Hi Kingpopsy, The hook up in France is the two pin euro plug, and I have a set advertised on the forum if you are interested .

The continental 2 pin plug supplied with our Ocean (March 2019) has pins / cable exit from rear of plug 'in-line'.
I am thinking then that if the polarity is reversed, I remove plug, rotate though 180 degrees and plug back in - is that problem solved?

Whilst I agree there could be possibilty of a problem I think its unlikely. Ive not noticed lots of electrocuted people on campsites abroad so Ive stopped worrying about it now.. Personally I think if the wiring in our house in France is anything to go by the problem is just as likely to exist in buildings as campsites.

Two weeks in France and only one place that had a euro two pin socket (plus earth) but it had a standard blue three pin next to it. No adapter needed. I have seen others EU vehicles using a blue to two pin adapter. Seems like it's the standard now.