Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Cannot close sliding door

H

hansel

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi!

Today when I was going to use my van (T 6.1 Ocean) the sliding door opened normally (I could hear the motor from the sliding door). But it wouldn't close after that so I had to cancel my planned trip for today and the sliding door is now unlocked in the garage which doesn't feel great...
The sliding door is semi-automatic, so I manually drag the door and then there's a electric soft close, and it seems like the electronics has broken.
What I have tried:
* Close the door as hard as I can
* Turn on the engine and try to close the door
* Clean the contacts

The VW garage is closed for the weekend, so I won't be able to get help from them until Monday, but it doesn't feel safe to have my van unlocked for that long time.
Does anyone have any tips on what could be wrong, or know how to somehow close the door so I can lock the car properly?

Hi!

Today when I was going to use my van (T 6.1 Ocean) the sliding door opened normally (I could hear the motor from the sliding door). But it wouldn't close after that so I had to cancel my planned trip for today and the sliding door is now unlocked in the garage which doesn't feel great...
The sliding door is semi-automatic, so I manually drag the door and then there's a electric soft close, and it seems like the electronics has broken.
What I have tried:
* Close the door as hard as I can
* Turn on the engine and try to close the door
* Clean the contacts

The VW garage is closed for the weekend, so I won't be able to get help from them until Monday, but it doesn't feel safe to have my van unlocked for that long time.
Does anyone have any tips on what could be wrong, or know how to somehow close the door so I can lock the car properly?
Ive noticed that sometimes our "soft close" doesn't work when the van is on a slope/twisted site. Its as if the contacts on the door don't quite make contact.

However, a good swish/bang slam of the door always makes it close.

Do you have VW Roadside Assistance?
Yes, unfortunately they couldn't fix the problem on the spot so they could only offer to tow to the nearest repair shop. But I think the car is safer in my driveway than in an unattended parking lot at VW's garage

Ive noticed that sometimes our "soft close" doesn't work when the van is on a slope/twisted site. Its as if the contacts on the door don't quite make contact.

However, a good swish/bang slam of the door always makes it close.
Thanks for the suggestion, I tried driving around the street a bit and then slamming the door with full force but it made no difference. It feels like a very strange design, that if the electronics break, it is impossible to override it

Does anyone know if there is a fuse that controls the motor in the sliding door?

Do you have an airbag warning?

What happens if you press and hold the close button?

Do you have an airbag warning?

What happens if you press and hold the close button?
There is no airbag warning (or any other). If I press and hold the close button, nothing special happens. The other doors are then being locked as usual

Do you have an airbag warning
There is no airbag warning (or any other). If I press and hold the close button, nothing special happens. The other doors are then being locked as usual
Sorry, I meant press and hold the door close button.

Do you have an airbag warning

Sorry, I meant press and hold the door close button.
aha sorry I misunderstood you, I don't have a button to close the door so that's why I thought you meant the button on the remote.

See Post 7

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but the lock motor doesn't get activated, so I guess it is the lock motor then.

the sliding door opened normally (I could hear the motor from the sliding door)
So you don't have an electric door? But you can hear a motor running when you open?

So you don't have an electric door? But you can hear a motor running when you open?
I open and close the door manually, and when the door is closed to like 95% then there's a power mechanism that brings ‘in’ the door to be fully closed. That mechanism don't engage anymore, and I never hear the lock motor.

Sorry, I assumed as you had mentioned a motor on opening that you had the full power door. Disregard everything I suggested.

Try some wd40 through a straw into the oval shaped soft close mechanism and let it soak in a while. My soft close stuck once and this cured it. Also check with engine running . A low battery may cause this

Try some wd40 through a straw into the oval shaped soft close mechanism and let it soak in a while. My soft close stuck once and this cured it. Also check with engine running . A low battery may cause this
thanks for the tip, unfortunately it didn't make any difference

To test the actuator , place a metal object over the b pillar contacts, ie short all three , ( the protruding plastic part with the copper colour contacts) , you should hear the soft close motor ?

To test the actuator , place a metal object over the b pillar contacts, ie short all three , ( the protruding plastic part with the copper colour contacts) , you should hear the soft close motor ?
I have a T6.1 so I have 4 contacts, but I tried putting the car key in between but I couldn't hear the soft close motor. So I guess that means the motor is broken or maybe a fuse somewhere. The car is only 2.5 years old, so it feels a bit strange if the soft close motor would break after such a short time

Try looking at the fuses under the left front seat.
I have the steering wheel by the left front seat, so under that seat are the leisure batteries. Is the fuse for the sliding door here, or should I check under the right seat in my case?

I have the steering wheel by the left front seat, so under that seat are the leisure batteries. Is the fuse for the sliding door here, or should I check under the right seat in my case?
@hansel yes I realise you are LHD but the fuses are still under the left front seat. I am not sure which fuse you are looking for as my wiring diagrams are not specific for a California.
I may be wrong with this fuse location as your vehicle has manual door with power latching so if you cannot find a blown fuse there I would suggest that you go to the T6 Forum and specifically ask @Pauly who I believe was supplying the correct wiring harnesses and parts for installing power latching.

post #8 ?

Back