Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Power sockets confusion!!!

S

Stevebeve

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hello all and apologies in advance for my newbie naivety!!

Recently bought my first Cali it’s a 2006 SE and am very excited but completely clueless.

I have located the two sockets behind the passenger seat, from what I have read I understand one to be a two prong inverter the other is a really odd circular one which at first I though was a cigarette lighter type socket but it clearly isn’t showing 120w

I am aware of a cigarette lighter type socket at the side of the bench next to the door and one in the front but am unaware of any others.

From what I have read the two prong one needs an adapter but can only be used up to 150w otherwise it may damage the inverter.

If the van is connected to an EHU is there still a limit to the power consumption and are there any other sockets I’ve not found yet?

If I wanted to use a kettle or toaster without wrecking the electrics what in the best way??

Any help greatly appreciated, I’d rather ask you guys and girls than walk into a garage and either get glazed looks from someone who doesn’t have a clue or laughed at for being a numpty by someone more experienced!!

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some early Cali’s don’t have the inverter fitted (I believe....I’ve still to investigate mine fully). I suspect the 2 prong is an EU socket from the mains hook up. Easy to change to a 3 pin socket or just buy an eu - uk travel plug.
The one that looks like a cigarette socket but isn’t, is probably a ‘hella’ socket.you can buy adapter from hella to cigarette, or replace that socket too (although I think that is a trickier job).

You can boil a slow kettle via the 2 pin one (with an adapter) when on hook up, but I hate to see trailing leads and wobbly kettles in Cali’s so would suggest you stick to gas and just carry a gas kettle (not duplicate with an electric).

If you move the passenger (left) seat to the front windscreen, don't you have 2 sockets near each other?
One 12V and one for mains, that only work when on hookup?

Some early Cali’s don’t have the inverter fitted (I believe....I’ve still to investigate mine fully). I suspect the 2 prong is an EU socket from the mains hook up. Easy to change to a 3 pin socket or just buy an eu - uk travel plug.
The one that looks like a cigarette socket but isn’t, is probably a ‘hella’ socket.you can buy adapter from hella to cigarette, or replace that socket too (although I think that is a trickier job).

You can boil a slow kettle via the 2 pin one (with an adapter) when on hook up, but I hate to see trailing leads and wobbly kettles in Cali’s so would suggest you stick to gas and just carry a gas kettle (not duplicate with an electric).
We have a lowish wattage Kampa kettle, nice wide base and short lead, ideal for a low amperage continental supply, if on free ACSI hook up why not?

We have a lowish wattage Kampa kettle, nice wide base and short lead, ideal for a low amperage continental supply, if on free ACSI hook up why not?
You’ll see I said “l” hate to see trailing leads and boiling water. I think none of us have such a set up at home (boiling a kettle with a trailing lead over the lap of someone sat in the turned passenger seat) but you know your own set up so can judge.....hence “I”.