Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Essential accessories for a noob?

K

KKcali

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi everyone
We pick up our Cali on Friday and are hoping to take the kids camping next week, so not a lot of time to familiarise with the new toy!
I would really appreciate any comments about what experienced owners would regard as essential accessories? I need to look into a drive away awning as there are 5 of us and we need the space, but how about other stuff that's not so obvious - carpets, various protectors etc?
All comments greatly appreciated! :)

Hi everyone
We pick up our Cali on Friday and are hoping to take the kids camping next week, so not a lot of time to familiarise with the new toy!
I would really appreciate any comments about what experienced owners would regard as essential accessories? I need to look into a drive away awning as there are 5 of us and we need the space, but how about other stuff that's not so obvious - carpets, various protectors etc?
All comments greatly appreciated! :)

:welcome

This is a conversation that has been had many times. Try taking a look at the following threads:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/essential-accessories-for-a-new-california.14520/

Edit: Broken link removed

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/starter-pack-for-beach.12523/

And also this forum member's great blog:

https://wildaboutscotland.com/2013/03/16/vw-california-options-and-accessories/

Everybody will have different views. My advice would be to work it out gradually for yourself rather than rush out and buy lots of stuff - much of which will never get used and go back in the garage after a few outings.

The club used to have a starter pack but I just took a look and can't see it in the shop now (is it still there @Martin).

For me the only absolute essentials are a hook-up cable and a sparesafe (spare wheel security device).

You will want to get more stuff in time but not for your first trip.

Last edited:
-Hookup lead (if on hook up)
-Spare wheel lock
-Gas bottle
-Bedding (we use sleeping bags for us/kids)
-Fuel in the tank
-Food/drink
-Something to eat said food on/cutlery/glasses/cups
-Make sure you sterilise tank in advance and drain pre-refilling (Milton is ideal)
-Toiletries/1st aid kit

That's pretty much what we are taking for our 1st trip away next week. We are holding off buying awnings or a topper at this stage.

Instead of carpets we got a washable mat for the floor between seats from Dunelm Mill for £19. It's a good fit and will save the flooring from muddy feet.

Enjoy!

-Spare wheel lock
-Gas bottle
-Fuel in the tank
-Food/drink
-Make sure you sterilise tank in advance and drain pre-refilling (Milton is ideal)
-Toiletries/1st aid kit

That's pretty much what we are taking for our 1st trip away next week. We are holding off buying awnings or a topper at this stage.

Instead of carpets we got a washable mat for the floor between seats from Dunelm Mill for £19. It's a good fit and will save the flooring from muddy feet.

Enjoy!
I'm sure you would want to supplement it but there is a first aid kit supplied with the Cali - we found ours velcroed to the side of the van at the back of the kitchen cupboard!

I'm sure you would want to supplement it but there is a first aid kit supplied with the Cali - we found ours velcroed to the side of the van at the back of the kitchen cupboard!

Thanks @DM. You've reminded me to check it out. Hopefully we'll just need to add in a few relevant bits for us.

Yeah, inspired piece of design, that. Hope you're only bleeding out slowly while you search through the manual to remember where it's stowed. :Grin

:welcome

This is a conversation that has been had many times. Try taking a look at the following threads:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/essential-accessories-for-a-new-california.14520/

Edit: Broken link removed

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/starter-pack-for-beach.12523/

And also this forum member's great blog:

https://wildaboutscotland.com/2013/03/16/vw-california-options-and-accessories/

Everybody will have different views. My advice would be to work it out gradually for yourself rather than rush out and buy lots of stuff - much of which will never get used and go back in the garage after a few outings.

The club used to have a starter pack but I just took a look and can't see it in the shop now (is it still there @Martin).

For me the only absolute essentials are a hook-up cable and a sparesafe (spare wheel security device).

You will want to get more stuff in time but not for your first trip.

Hi DM

Thanks for the welcome and the detailed reply - these threads are really useful! It seems the message is that "less is more" until we get a feel for how we will use the Cali. I'll delay the round-europe trip until another day! ;)

Really valid point about the spare wheel security - it hadn't crossed my mind.

:thanks

-Spare wheel lock
-Gas bottle
-Fuel in the tank
-Food/drink
-Toiletries/1st aid kit

Enjoy!

Nice concise list for a first trip - thank you!

Food/drink - the most important accessories! :cheers

I hadn't thought about the tank sterilisation - I assume there are Instructions in the handbook about how this is maintained after first use.

Nice concise list for a first trip - thank you!

Food/drink - the most important accessories! :cheers

I hadn't thought about the tank sterilisation - I assume there are Instructions in the handbook about how this is maintained after first use.

Indeed!

Re sterilising, instructions are in the manual. Basically, we filled the tank via garden hose. Added in Milton tablets, from memory we needed 6 for the 30l tank. Went for a drive to slosh it all around. Ran kitchen sink tap for a few minutes then emptied both tanks. Voila!

It would help us to help you if you fill in your vehicle details fully. At the moment I don't know if you have an Ocean or Beach, so you may already have the kitchen sink ;)

Indeed!

Re sterilising, instructions are in the manual. Basically, we filled the tank via garden hose. Added in Milton tablets, from memory we needed 6 for the 30l tank. Went for a drive to slosh it all around. Ran kitchen sink tap for a few minutes then emptied both tanks. Voila!

If those exact instructions aren't in the manual I will be writing to VW to request that they are! ;)

It would help us to help you if you fill in your vehicle details fully. At the moment I don't know if you have an Ocean or Beach, so you may already have the kitchen sink ;)

That's a good point! I was delaying until we actually have the vehicle on the drive; didn't want to tempt fate!
However, we have the delivery date confirmed for Friday, so I'll throw caution to the wind! :thumb

Reactions: DM
- Head torch & a more 'general' lantern for outside the van

- Some kind of groundsheet / mat for under the awning

My recommendation would be to go as lean as you possibly can til you work out what's *really* needed - people regularly comment on over-packing, though it's very tempting to go nuts during the waiting period as a displacement-activity ...

We've had our ocean a couple of weeks now, so far we have only had days out to get used too handling him (for me) and for the dog to get used to crate. First days away this weekend. The only big buys for us was the Cali topper, the comfortz side sheets, a ground sheet, guy ropes, hook up, gas bottle ( check out eBay £38.99 free next day delivery full cylinder). Carpet from QTM that fit great for the living area and boot area. A soft dog crate, sleeping bag and liner, melamine tea set, acrylic glasses (accept for hubbys glass pint one). BBQ. Gas kettle. Have decided not to use water tank at present, so bought a collapsible water carrier, a funnel for when we use water tank.

Will be taking a microwave packed with cooking bits, toaster, electric travel kettle and hair dryer. Using spare bath mat to line under seat draw, takeaway boxes for storing tbags etc (free!). I have lined draws and shelves with the non slip draw liner from BM, also using the black one as protection of glass work surface.

:Iamsorry But I don't get the point of not using the built in water tank but carrying a water container instead. Isn't that one of the major selling points for the Ocean?
There's only the two of us, so would not use that much water. Sterilising the tank for this trip would be a waste. The only other option would be to fill it and use water purifying tabs again a waste on this particular site.

There's only the two of us, so would not use that much water. Sterilising the tank for this trip would be a waste. The only other option would be to fill it and use water purifying tabs again a waste on this particular site.

Sterilising the tank is easy and well worth it for the convenience. Either Milton or tablets would do. Do it; you won't regret it.