Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Accessories

Most posts on the forum suggest camping in your Cali first and then buying your extras - this was sound advice for us.
our extras we got are:-

1) 30 m electric hook up cable
2) 5 litre water container for refilling water in Cali
3) Duvalet mattress topper for upstairs bed.
4) cadac safari chef for all our outside cooking
5) electric hot plates same as 4) but saves gas when on hook up.
6) Ridge monkey sandwich toaster
7) low voltage travel kettle for when on hook up.
8) fairy lights and bunting for awning.
9) Garland of flowers for inside rear view mirror
10) dancing Hawain hoopla lady for dashboard.

it’s all very personal- I use my Cali as a daily driver with one of the highest annual mileages on the forum of @22k per year and we camp May end October mostly on sites with hook ups - hop that helps :thumb

Buy as little as possible before first use.

3 months after delivery we (parents, two toddlers and two collies) set off on a year long tour of Europe. We packed far too much, including a portable toilet which we used a grand total of zero times.

This proved to be of far more use:

052edaa34ad5cbb05c743ff3dc3f31a8.jpg

And at £3.29 from all good pharmacies is far better value.

A fabric softener container is even better value (and smells sweeter after multiple uses).

My advice is buy as little as possible, and try camping a few times to identify things you need. It's so easy to get carried away and end up with a garage full of things you never use (did it myself). Most things you can get away with a few things from home and use home bedding.

Hookup cable is pretty much the only thing you need and maybe a spare safe lock (assuming VW still havent resolved the easily stolen spare wheel).

We have done our fare share of buying stuff for our travels and four years down the line i can say that the best investment we made was getting the beds right, after a long drive you need your sleep and the standard beds downstairs are challenging. I had two pads made and when used in tandem with the vw pad and with the rear tray on its top setting i have to say we can get a really good nights sleep. In three weeks of driving around europe i think we used the potty once. We tend to use facilities on site or a night bottle from boots, not made from boots, that would just be wrong, but bought from boots.
Other things we use are ridge monkeys, set of drawers under sink (invaluable for quick access to tea making gear), long hookup cable (needed in europe), sun shade for awning (small ball bungies and tarp) and a small gas stove for outside cooking, dashcam has been handy and a carplay dongle for wireless carplay. All the other stuff is optional and gets loaded if needed on trip. Just one other thing is two comfy chairs for outside that fold down and go down the side in the boot.

I had two pads made and when used in tandem with the vw pad and with the rear tray on its top setting i have to say we can get a really good nights sleep.
Thanks Captain. Getting the bed right makes a lot of sense. Did you have an additional comfort mattress made to go over the VW one, and does that take up much room in the back? And another question if I may - what is the rear tray you have on its top setting? Gearing up for delivery soon hopefully, and real experience like yours is very helpful .

Thanks Captain. Getting the bed right makes a lot of sense. Did you have an additional comfort mattress made to go over the VW one, and does that take up much room in the back? And another question if I may - what is the rear tray you have on its top setting? Gearing up for delivery soon hopefully, and real experience like yours is very helpful .
In the ocean the boot bed support can be raised or lowered depending on which bed pad you have. On the lower setting and with the thicker pad you pull it out to form a flat surface, but on the top setting and with the same pad you need to make up 3 inches of foam for the rest of the bed over the flattend rear seat hence the two pads i had made. They sit in the back when not being used with my duvet still leaving space for comfy chairs if i need more boot space.

In the ocean the boot bed support can be raised or lowered depending on which bed pad you have. On the lower setting and with the thicker pad you pull it out to form a flat surface, but on the top setting and with the same pad you need to make up 3 inches of foam for the rest of the bed over the flattend rear seat hence the two pads i had made. They sit in the back when not being used with my duvet still leaving space for comfy chairs if i need more boot space.
Just one thing this only works on a t6, not sure how things have changed on the 6.1

Having ordered my Ocean and waiting and waiting I thought I would prepare a list of accessories (not pre order options) for inside the van that are essential and ones that just make living in a small space with someone else more comfortable and ensuring we come back from holidays as happy to still talk as we were when we set off!!

My experience is in camping with a six wheeler motor home with a little more space....Now I am spending similar money on smaller space but with a vehichle that can be used all the time and easier to live with. However realise I need to pack more minimumly and make every space count without turning the beauty of my cali into a space that looks like my Grandmothers house!!

So wondering if I can ask as many as possible to share your list of top 10 essentials that you can't live without and a top 10 of some 'nice to haves' from best drivaway awning to storage and devises to stop plates and pans rattling while on the move. Also a bonus item of 1 little gismo that you came across that others may not know about that you found on some obscure shop or website......They say you can buy experinece but I thought by asking those experienced VW camper enthusiasts to put their lists out in this thread I and other new Cali owners (and perhaps all) may be able to short cut to the best experience from the get go.

My experience is that most sellers of vans and accessories and even the designers of these have NEVER spent two weeks camping in their lives, or that is sometimes how it feels.......So over the real experts... The cali Owners Club Members who have road and holiday tested every assessory at some point.

Thank you in advance.

Simon
Worst purchase was a drive away awning, it was just too cumbersome and limiting when u had a small pitch, so we sold it and bought a tent, in my opinion much more flexible and easy to erect and take down. Great for leaving stuff on site and no faff lining the van up to attach. We still put it up next to van and use the awning to make dry corridor to entrance. But saying all that it only gets used on long stays and sits at home most of the time.

Having ordered my Ocean and waiting and waiting I thought I would prepare a list of accessories (not pre order options) for inside the van that are essential and ones that just make living in a small space with someone else more comfortable and ensuring we come back from holidays as happy to still talk as we were when we set off!!

My experience is in camping with a six wheeler motor home with a little more space....Now I am spending similar money on smaller space but with a vehichle that can be used all the time and easier to live with. However realise I need to pack more minimumly and make every space count without turning the beauty of my cali into a space that looks like my Grandmothers house!!

So wondering if I can ask as many as possible to share your list of top 10 essentials that you can't live without and a top 10 of some 'nice to haves' from best drivaway awning to storage and devises to stop plates and pans rattling while on the move. Also a bonus item of 1 little gismo that you came across that others may not know about that you found on some obscure shop or website......They say you can buy experinece but I thought by asking those experienced VW camper enthusiasts to put their lists out in this thread I and other new Cali owners (and perhaps all) may be able to short cut to the best experience from the get go.

My experience is that most sellers of vans and accessories and even the designers of these have NEVER spent two weeks camping in their lives, or that is sometimes how it feels.......So over the real experts... The cali Owners Club Members who have road and holiday tested every assessory at some point.

Thank you in advance.

Simon
I would second all the advice about camping in it first and accumulating stuff rather than buying too much too soon. We've had two Calis, both secondhand, one a T5 and now a T6 with a higher spec. Number one accessory for both has to be the aeropress for coffee! We didn't bother with a toilet in our last one but now have a porta potti due to the Covid changes and so far this has been worth it. We also now have a solar panel which is new to us - as we park ours on the street it's brilliant for charging the battery. We also have the roof interior insulator. Have only tried it once on a very cold night and it was...very cold. So not a fair trial but it's not going to make a massive difference I think. Enjoy your adventures in your new vehicle!

Thank you in advance.

Simon
Hello
My portapotti has been THE best thing even without staying away during lockdown, ( might be a female thing) I don't try to get it in the cupbard but have put it on a non-slip bath mat behind the drivers chair, covered in a £3 IKEA zip cube storage box, upside down and a snazzy cushion ( my grand-daughter loves sitting on it) . I did lash out on the Tern folding bike and I am thrilled to bits with it, but it is not easy to get under the bed at the back, I'm still working on that one and its awkward to fit in the living area when you are camoing. When the beds not in it fits easily in the boot and is fabulous for day trips.

Hello
My portapotti has been THE best thing even without staying away during lockdown, ( might be a female thing) I don't try to get it in the cupbard but have put it on a non-slip bath mat behind the drivers chair, covered in a £3 IKEA zip cube storage box, upside down and a snazzy cushion ( my grand-daughter loves sitting on it) . I did lash out on the Tern folding bike and I am thrilled to bits with it, but it is not easy to get under the bed at the back, I'm still working on that one and its awkward to fit in the living area when you are camoing. When the beds not in it fits easily in the boot and is fabulous for day trips.
I wonder if the height of the parcel shelf is different on the T6. When I asked my dealer to check the gap on a T6.1 there was about 2cm to spare when the Tern S10 is folded and the pedals removed based on googled specs for the Tern. I hope its correct.

I wonder if the height of the parcel shelf is different on the T6. When I asked my dealer to check the gap on a T6.1 there was about 2cm to spare when the Tern S10 is folded and the pedals removed based on googled specs for the Tern. I hope its correct.
many thanks, will check

- use the extra space an IKEA hack can give you above the kitchen and
- the extra space on top of the kitchen.
- a modification for the bike rack with better bike straps!
- And of course cheap lights with sensors in the cabinets.
View attachment 77713
View attachment 77714

View attachment 77715
great idea with the board over the rings. Is that standard IKEA size? it looks posher!
ps I did buy the bespoke chopping board to sit over the cutlery tray. It seemed v. expensive but it has made a big difference, so owrth it

Those of you with Solar Panels ...can you say which you have and how reliable and effective they have been ...and what size?

Being doing this for 10+ years.
TBH you don’t NEED any of the above! We have a portapotti - used less than a dozen times but ”just in case”!

I just think lots of people seem to go way overboard in what they buy and what the pay for certain brands. Just get out and enjoy the freedom and great outdoors. :thumb
Agree although I think my bare essentials are our mobicool fridge and jetboil/ brukit. I've got a beach so wouldn't think I'd need any extras if using an ocean

Those of you with Solar Panels ...can you say which you have and how reliable and effective they have been ...and what size?
2 x 100w panels supplied and fitted by Roger at Solar Solutions in November. Wired to charge the leisure and starter batteries. Not camped off-grid for any length of time yet but they do seem to be keeping my batteries well charged at the moment with my van sitting on the drive and the fridge and dashcams left on permanently.

Agree although I think my bare essentials are our mobicool fridge and jetboil/ brukit. I've got a beach so wouldn't think I'd need any extras if using an ocean
2 x 120w panels from Roger. Dual charge leisure and engine. Just spent 6 days without electric hookup and generated more electricity than we used. We charge iPhones and watches, fridge on 5 continuously and heater on several hours per day. Not brilliant sunshine but roof raised to face southish.
I think we would not have to have electricity hookup all summer in uk. Spent over 5 weeks in France without hookup 2019.
Great convenience for us but still take 35 years to recoup the costs of the installation though!

2 x 120w panels
Great convenience for us but still take 35 years to recoup the costs of the installation though!
Sometimes you can't put a price on convenience and peace of mind. I'll be installing these panels too but just for charging the leisure batteries

If you want to recoup your costs sooner, camp in Scandinavia. They charge more for hookup there so more savings to be made.

We camped most nights for 6 months without hooking up, once for ten nights without recharging batteries by driving. No problems except for once when we parked in the shade of trees.

Context. I like to spend time in wild places and use my campervan as a base camp for outdoor activities. Different things come on different trips depending on the focus. So I’ll list most of them.

1. Upgraded tyres (studded in Norway, AT in the U.K.)
  2. Hanging rail and folding hangars for drying clothing.
  3. 12V dehumidifier
  4. Some form of insulation for the pop-top and widescreen.
  5. 2 x small camping stoves for outdoor cooking.
  6. An quick release adapter mod for the main gas cylinder to make it easier to change canister and then one of the small camping gas canisters can be used as a backup.
  7. Boxes for inside the storage spaces to make it quick and easy to pack and find things
  8. A gardening knife/trowel for digging holes in the woods
  9. Aeropress or moka pot for fresh coffee. Hand coffee grinder and milk frothed.
  10. Yeti mugs that fit in cup holders and are bomb proof
  11. Sea to summit inflatable mattress, wool topper, down duvet and down pillows for real luxurious sleeping
  12. Quad lock iPhone case and mount
  13. Waterproof seat covers
  14. Small folding step and mat for sitting on while removing snow or mud covered boots outside.
  15. Tefal ingenio pan set
  16. Solar panel
  17. Roof box
  18. Modified awning foot brackets to secure the awning without tie down kit.
  19. Tow ball bike carrier
  20. Collapsible ladder for getting to roof box and cleaning snow off solar panel.
  21. Snow chains
  22. Collapsible fire pit with tripod and hanging grill.
  23. Collapsible kettle
  24. Milwaukee cordless compressor for airing up and down tyres
  25. Selection of tools for repairs on the road
  26. Small axe
Can I ask which yeti mug you have?? We have 2 here which are really super quality but don’t fit in the cup holder.