Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Euro Road Trip Day 28

R

Retiredroamer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello, So what have I learnt these past 28 days travelling Europe.
I am glad I binned Vodafone and took up a contract with iD Mobile who give free Euro Roaming. I have used 40GB already.

Space is to be treasured in a California so next time I will not pack four fleeces on a summer trip.

I love my Cali. Going great. Everything works. (so far)

Speaking of space. We have taken a very large driveaway awning with us. Has a bedroom, middle bit and a porch. It takes up nearly all the space in the back with all the stuff that goes with it. Pump. ground sheet etc. For a 7 day pitch up we use it, done once, but all the other times we have pitched up and just used the canopy awning. Bright idea for this set up, we bought a cheap two man tent from Decatholon (Everywhere in France) and when we pitch up, erect the tent and then chuck all the stuff you are not using in the tent. This creates loads of space.

Having travelled 1600 miles so far I have learned that vehicles get dirty. Where are all the Hand Car Washes in Europe?

D Roads in France are great. Not so good in Croatia. (That is where I am now)

Cash is needed for Holiday Tax where ever you stay.

Mozzy nets/repellent/Citronella candles a must.

Found that the Thetford Toilet 335 takes up valuable space and we do not really need it. Ive learnt bladder control and have not yet had to get up in the middle of the night to amble to camp toilets.

Learnt to be tidy and ship shape

All in all having a great time. 28 days plus in a California can be challenging but great fun. We are going further south on Sunday then cross the Adriatic by ferry to Italy and then make our way back home. Hopefully by end og August. Any tips for me will be appreciated.

Bye for now

I am glad I binned Vodafone and took up a contract with iD Mobile who give free Euro Roaming. I have used 40GB already.

Space is to be treasured in a California so next time I will not pack four fleeces on a summer trip.

Speaking of space. We have taken a very large driveaway awning with us. Has a bedroom, middle bit and a porch. It takes up nearly all the space in the back with all the stuff that goes with it. Pump. ground sheet etc. For a 7 day pitch up we use it, done once, but all the other times we have pitched up and just used the canopy awning. Bright idea for this set up, we bought a cheap two man tent from Decatholon (Everywhere in France) and when we pitch up, erect the tent and then chuck all the stuff you are not using in the tent. This creates loads of space.

Having travelled 1600 miles so far I have learned that vehicles get dirty. Where are all the Hand Car Washes in Europe?

Found that the Thetford Toilet 335 takes up valuable space and we do not really need it. Ive learnt bladder control and have not yet had to get up in the middle of the night to amble to camp toilets.

All in all having a great time. 28 days plus in a California can be challenging but great fun. We are going further south on Sunday then cross the Adriatic by ferry to Italy and then make our way back home. Hopefully by end og August. Any tips for me will be appreciated.

Bye for now
Any good campsites and places to recommend

Any good campsites and places to recommend
We used a Caravan and Motorhome club overseas sites in France, The one at Portorson Normandy was average and could be cleaner. The best one in France was one I found myself using 'Sites and Paysages' Campings, Bottom of Alpe D Huez. Very good, Very Clean, For anyone going to Italy, Lake Garda is a must and the Campsite is Camping Cappuccini in Peshiera Del Garda,

The site I will not go to again is CA'Savio in Venice. Not my cup of tea.

Thanks roamer much appreciated
I always use campsites Campsites, so all tips much appreciated review sites don’t always tell the full story

French supermarkets sell a collapsible bucket car cleaning kit that usually includes a sponge, a microfibre hand cloth and a fake chamois, I bought one and put a small travel squeezy bottle of autoglym in, so I can clean the van when required, cost less than 10 euros. Collapz do something similar in UK for loads of money! I am sure I read somewhere that a cleaning kit is mandatory somewhere in europe. Takes up very little space

Bye for now
How many of you are there in the van?

Back