Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Exciting investment

We are a family of 4, children are 16 and 7. My wife is not really a camper. However, successfully managed for two years running two week holidays in France (with awning) and all have enjoyed.
We have enjoyed countless trips away as short breaks too.

The biggest benefit for us is day trips and the fantastic versatility. Sometimes cramped can be an advantage. Those howling rainy days where everyone is couped up at home going stir crazy, get in the van, heating on and head to the wilds, all love it.

Toilet is kept in the boot. Don't really use it when overnighting on campsites, but use it loads when out for a day trip.

Hi Mark, we have a T6 ocean. We’re a family of five, although my eldest is often away. Also have 2 dogs. Tbh it is cramped in the rain with the younger two (13 and 10 plus hubby and me) however we have found we use it far more than we thought we would for things we hadn’t even envisaged. Day trips galore - no more “I’’m hungry...can we go...” moments - all food in fridge - no bother. Makes a great changing room at the beachside, running late for swimming - get changed in the van. Waiting for one sibling with the other in the van - lets start on the homework - nice handy table... Get work done whilst kids at some class or other.... Makes a great home office. Shop on the way somewhere, put all the cold stuff in the fridge - no rush to go home to unpack. Long journes - stop at service stations but make your own meals. I also take each kid away on their own at times for a bit of 1:1 time. It’s so easy, I feel confident I can cope with it on my own - everything just works. Also has many 12v sockets (that you can pop a USB adaptor into) so all kids gadgets can charge, even when the ignition isn’t on (they run from the leisure battery). We just love it and cant imagine life without the convenience of a panad whenever we fancy. We are also from North Wales (Anglesey).

Enjoy the fun of contemplation :)

Melanie

That's a great list of things you can do in a California/camper!

Nothing better than stopping for a panad and watching the world go by after work.

..message ends..

Hi Mark

I bought my Cali SE used (9 years old) 18 months ago. I was amazed by how new it looked, although it was low mileage for its age so I guess it was only used for trips away. It came with lots of extras that are either options when buying or Cali-specific add-ons. I didn't have all the worry of which options to go for although if I had, four wheel drive would be top of my list as I tend to do a lot of my camping in grassy fields in Uk so they are usually wet. Although the Cali is my daily driver I don't do much night driving, if I did I would certainly go for better lights as the standard ones are really unbelievably useless.

My daughter who lived in her previous campervan for about 4 years (Merc Sprinter conversion so larger than a Cali) replaced it with a conversion built to her own spec into a van she bought for the purpose. It suits her as she has very specific requirements (carrying a number of paddleboards and wetsuits etc) but she advised me when I was looking that a conversion can actually end up costing you MORE in the end.

I can't imagine spending time in a Cali with 2 adults and 2 children when it's raining but that's probably because I'm retired and have forgotten what it was like to take two children camping in a tent! But there's always the option of a drive-away awning which also has the advantage of keeping your pitch while you're away and somewhere to put your portable toilet which is probably a necessity if the children are too young to make the dash to the toilet block on their own in the rain.

Whatever you decide, the Cali is a wonderful vehicle, a pleasure to drive and to own - everyone who sees it will want to look around it and will wish they had one and there's the added bonus of the cameraderie between Cali owners you meet at campsites or just pass on the road!